Surgeon
    Eabes
    Last Activity
    11-26-2017 11:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Smile Hi from the "Tall Corn State"

I had my surgery on 7/24. Just a few weeks ago, and finally feeling like myself again. A little about my personal journey to having VSG...

Coming from a lifelong belief that food is love, I am struggling a bit with how to care about myself without it being food. I have not really cared about my physical self that much, I had a huge wakeup call 4 years ago when my Doc told me I had to completely change my ways or I was going to die. He said "a life altering health crisis" I went home and cried, My mom said to ignore him- but I couldn't forget his words he had REALLY scared me!

Fast Forward...many many many attempts to 'eat right and exercise", resulting in self hate, injury and realizing that losing over 100 lbs was not going to happen for me.

My little sister got her VSG a little over a year ago, I watched her thrive and become this amazing beautiful butterfly after being a cocooned caterpillar her entire life!

My Doc was/is against the surgery, but after seeing my baby sister, I ignored him and did it anyway!! LOL

NO REGRETS.

2. Said thanks:

3. The following 19 users said welcome ImMelting to GastricSleeve.com!

4. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hi from the "Tall Corn State"

It is amazing how different doctors are regarding WLS. I was actually no seeing a PCP since I moved to Texas in 2014. I only went to one because my surgeon said I needed to get my high blood pressure under control or the anesthesiologist could cancel my surgery if my BP was too high on surgery day. I went to get on meds in Sept 16 and had surgery in Nov 16. (A previous PCP overseas had put me on BP meds but refused to switch it when I said I was having bad side affects. Turns out I am slightly allergic to ace inhibitors. My new PCP listened and gave me beta blockers.) Anyways, I did not tell my PCP that I only needed the BP meds because of my WLS. I did have follow up appointments. At my first appointment he nicely told me I needed to lose weight. (I was a 41.6 BMI.) So at my first BP follow up I was down 30 lbs. My PCP was so happy yet shocked I lost so much so quickly. I had to confess that I had WLS. When I told him he was super supportive and asked me all sorts of questions about my experience. Every time I see him, he is always telling me how proud he is of me. I am so glad I have him as a PCP. He even asked about what surgeon I used in case other patients are interested so he can tell them about my experience. Sorry I rambled...point is that there is NO SHAME in WLS. If it was that damn easy no one would be fat. End of story. I would work out so hard for hours and diet and it would take forever to lose weight. But the minute I couldn't go to the gym 2 hours a day and ate a bit more I would pack it on and then some. It never worked or stuck. I could be healthy for 6 or 12 months but never sustain that kind of lifestyle long term with work and family. Now I feel like I have it all. Health and fitness, work, family, and still time to do things. I LOVE MY SLEEVE!

6. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/26/2016
    Surgeon
    Taiwan Kim
    Last Activity
    08-02-2019 07:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 138 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Default Re: Hi from the "Tall Corn State"

You will be so glad you did this. Food will always be around you and FOREVER you will be able to have a taste of anything you want. You will not consume massive amounts of that food but you will always be able to have it, so no need to mourn the loss of anything. Doctors do vary in their opinions about WLS, but I've found mine to be very comfortable with it. The results are all they need to see to become believers!