Verbonen
    Last Activity
    08-20-2017 06:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default post op diet

Hello my name is Karen and would like to know what most peoples post op diet is. I was told i needed to stay on juice water and popsicles for the first week. I would love to mix in some broth, Im getting sick of all the sweet juice and popsicles. Any suggestions are helpful.
    Thank you

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: post op diet

Every post op is different. My surgeon had me on full liquids. I was also on low carbs so was told no juice. I lived the first 2 weeks on broth, protein shakes, creamed soups made very liquids with no fat milk, hot tea, and sugar free popsicles. I did better with warm liquids. Helped me get more fluids in. After week 1 I added nonfat lattes from Starbucks. As long as you're not eating solids you'll be fine. Your belly has to heal.

5. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-13-2023 05:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 77 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

It would help if you put in your doctor and your surgery date. That way we could know how far post op you are and who your Doctor was.
    Each Doctor has a different post op diet for their patients. It's best to follow what your doctor tells you.. Although I haven't heard of any Doctor not allow clear broth during the first week post op. do your Popsicle and Juice have to be sugar free? If not that is a lot of sugar which would be concerning to me (not a doctor) but anyway...

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

I was on clear liquids which included broth. I found a yummy tasting soup cubes. Than the second week add protein drink and full liquids, third week add cream soup to full liquids, fourth week purée food, fifth week soft food. I don't know why you would be told you can't have broth since it is a clear liquid. I know ever doctor is different but it just doesn't make since. I wish you much successs and I'm happy to answer any questions if anymore come up.
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Leslieann's Avatar
    Name
    leslie
    Surgery date
    01/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Shillingford
    Last Activity
    02-05-2019 07:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 88 Times in 76 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times
    Blog Entries

I was on liquids the first week and then could move to puree food as tolerated, I was ready by that time.

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Even during the first (liquid) eating phase, I was told to focus on protein and told to avoid juices and sugar of all kinds. With the help of protein shakes I was up to the minimum protein recommendation (60 grams) by Day Five post-op. And I drank a LOT of broth (both beef and chicken, sometimes with something juicy like Thai peanut sauce added to spice it up).

Then I cycled through pureed foods (ate a lot of fat-free refried beans and melted cheese),then moved to soft foods (e.g., eggs), and eventually started introducing (in this order) more dense protein (chicken, fish -- which I chopped up very fine to start with), then colored (not starchy) vegetables, then non-starchy fruits, and eventually whole grains. Those food introductions took 4-6 weeks. Some didn't work well the first time or two I tried them, but eventually all foods worked well for me. Needless to say, I couldn't eat much in volume through the first 4 months post-op.

One of my surgeon's big rules is "Don't drink your calories." So, other than protein drinks, I have never done juice. Still don't. BTW, I've also never eaten a popsicle, either the sugar-made kind or the sugar-free versions. I'm not against the sugar-free kind, but just never have had the yen for one.

That was my experience.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/10/2017
    Surgeon
    Verbonen
    Last Activity
    08-20-2017 06:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Sorry everyone I just figured out how to reply. I will be one week out of Surgery on Thursday. I have been a little out of it on the pain pills. I think Im going to throw out the juice I have never been big on it anyways. I tried the broth yesterday and I did fine. I am extremely weak due to no protein and all the sugar. Im not a sweet eater so most of what I have consumed so far is water with a few popsicles and very little juice. Has anyone tried mixing in protein powder with soup or mashed veggies? I need to get back to work so I need all the energy I can get. I just want to say WOW thanks for all the support and great answers. I have not told any of my friends and family I did this so Im sure I will be spending a lot of time on this board.
    Thanks Karen86

Gastric Sleeve Member tamstress's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. French
    Last Activity
    04-04-2022 04:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 56 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

Yes to the protein powder. If you get unflavored, you can mix it into anything that you are allowed to have. You can put it in sugar free jello, broth, soup, etc. It will really help with your energy.
    Also, for variety in your fluids, try Crystal Light or the store brand of it. I use less than the full tube because everything tastes stronger and sweeter to me after surgery, but it definitely helps add variety. Drop a slice of citrus or a single piece of mashed fruit into your water just to flavor it too. I got tired of plain water very quickly.
    Keep asking questions and reading on the forum. There are pros here who can help you through all the stages you are going to go through.

15. Said thanks: