Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Re: 3 weeks out, and I can eat almost anything

Oh lord....where to start.

Let me just say to the OP, if you are losing weight eating like you are, and your sleeve hasn't leaked out of your belly button, then you don't have anything to worry about. Some folks heal quicker than others and some are able to stomach regular food much more quickly than others.

There was a guy in my sleeve group that ate a street taco the day we left TJ for San Diego. He lost over 150 lbs, kept the weight off, and is living life to the fullest. Just because a newbie tells you that you should be following some strict, pre planned life style doesn't make it so. Just like my telling you that eating the way you are is ok. Just because I say it doesn't make it so. You have to experiment and find what works for you and to hell with what I say, or anyone else says.

I will delve into this subject and many, many more on 8/23. That's my five year anniversary and I plan on publishing my five year manifesto.

Lots on my mind regarding what this site is turning into.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kim
    Last Activity
    05-18-2018 10:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post

Let me just say to the OP, if you are losing weight eating like you are, and your sleeve hasn't leaked out of your belly button, then you don't have anything to worry about. Some folks heal quicker than others and some are able to stomach regular food much more quickly than others.

There was a guy in my sleeve group that ate a street taco the day we left TJ for San Diego. He lost over 150 lbs, kept the weight off, and is living life to the fullest. Just because a newbie tells you that you should be following some strict, pre planned life style doesn't make it so. Just like my telling you that eating the way you are is ok. Just because I say it doesn't make it so. You have to experiment and find what works for you and to hell with what I say, or anyone else says.

I will delve into this subject and many, many more on 8/23. That's my five year anniversary and I plan on publishing my five year manifesto.

Yeah, I do think some responses came off a little harsh. When you break it down, keep your emotions in check and actually read what I wrote and then re-read the reactions, its pretty interesting. The worst thing I did was take one bite of a taco shell, and I had half a package of a Lean Quisine pasta. All of the other things I ate are things almost all of us are eventually going to be eating anyway. Soft chicken, cut up, chewed well. Soft tuna. Etc. Only difference is that I discovered a little sooner than most that I can eat these things.

But all the forum saw was pasta and taco shell and freaked out.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-05-2018 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 285 Times
    Was Thanked 245 Times in 196 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 567 Times
    Blog Entries

Oh no!!!!... I am worried for you. I am almost on week 6 and have S-L-O-W-L-Y gone through the food stages purposefully. I don't want to get a leak in my new pouch or God forbid... STRETCH IT OUT! I ease into a warmed boiled egg for breakfast with spray butter and a little watermelon, then midday a shake (1/2) and for lunch some tuna and green beans and mid afternoon I try to drink the other 1/2 of my shake. Dinner is usually a little dark meat chicken and peas. I finish the day with a SF popsicle and still work on getting my fluids in, in-between. I am interested what your post op instructions were from your surgeon? I have really clear instructions that I would be happy to share with you if you like? Just PM me. Like so many others on here, my sleeve surgery was a life saving miracle that I respect and will forever strive to accommodate. Post op instructions are not suggestions but requirements to keep you healthy and provide the best possible outcome. CARBS ARE THE DEVIL... I would avoid pasta and granola bars!!! yikes! 3 weeks out I was still drinking broth!!

(BIG HUGS TO YOU) I am really worried you are going down the wrong road, but it is not too late to turn it around xo

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kim
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by GigiUSA View Post
    Oh no!!!!... I am worried for you. or God forbid... STRETCH IT OUT!
    Think about what you said there. You are afraid to stretch it out. Answer this question. Is what you are eating right now what you are going to be eating the rest of your life, or will you eventually eat more? And if you eat more, wont you be "stretching out your stomach" then? According to that logic, does it really matter if you stretch it out now or two months from now?

Also the stomach stretching is kind of a myth. You would have to have multiple giant meals, 3 times a day for weeks to permanently screw up and stretch your stomach. Doing that is almost impossible. I get full really quickly.

And even with that, your stomach will never, ever be close to the size it used to be.

I think the issue people are having is the title of my thread. "I can eat almost anything". It really makes it sound like I am gulping down ice cream, sweets and non-stop carbs. When that is far from the case... Case in point, the ONE granola bar I had was low carb.

Surgery date
    07/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-05-2018 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 285 Times
    Was Thanked 245 Times in 196 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 567 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darkwombat View Post
    Think about what you said there. You are afraid to stretch it out. Answer this question. Is what you are eating right now what you are going to be eating the rest of your life, or will you eventually eat more? And if you eat more, wont you be "stretching out your stomach" then? According to that logic, does it really matter if you stretch it out now or two months from now?

Also the stomach stretching is kind of a myth. You would have to have multiple giant meals, 3 times a day for weeks to permanently screw up and stretch your stomach. Doing that is almost impossible. I get full really quickly.

And even with that, your stomach will never, ever be close to the size it used to be.

I think the issue people are having is the title of my thread. "I can eat almost anything". It really makes it sound like I am gulping down ice cream, sweets and non-stop carbs. When that is far from the case... Case in point, the ONE granola bar I had was low carb.
    I apologize, and almost deleted my post without commenting and I wish now that I did.

I love this site and it has been such a huge source of support and encouragement for me during my journey so far. I have loved all of the positive people I have connected with and it has helped me to heal in more areas than just my surgery. I knew this was going to be a controversial topic and frankly I am not going to participate. So no, I am not going to justify my comments or further discuss my thoughts on stretching out my pouch. It is how I feel and that is OK. I am learning to deal with my sleeve just like you are. I wish you success in your sleeve journey. Again, I apologize if I offended you.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kim
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I apologize, and almost deleted my post without commenting and I wish now that I did.

I love this site and it has been such a huge source of support and encouragement for me during my journey so far. I have loved all of the positive people I have connected with and it has helped me to heal in more areas than just my surgery. I knew this was going to be a controversial topic and frankly I am not going to participate. So no, I am not going to justify my comments or further discuss my thoughts on stretching out my pouch. It is how I feel and that is OK. I am learning to deal with my sleeve just like you are. I wish you success in your sleeve journey. Again, I apologize if I offended you.
    No need to apologize at all. I think my original post may have exaggerated things and indirectly got people riled up. That was not my intention.

10. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    12-21-2018 09:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 774 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 169 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,104 Times

He asked for advise... You're ok sweetie!

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sam
    Surgeon
    Noonan
    Last Activity
    09-21-2017 04:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

What is this site turning into? Not everyone is a newbie on here. I think that anyone who shares on here is receptive to the responses given and should feel free to share, comment, ask questions, etc. If people take this information as gospel and make a bad decision, rather than checking with a medical professional, that is a mistake on their part. No one on here is an expert (I presume), no one knows it all, and I would think that we all have something in common, obesity and the desire to change our lives. Maybe people's responses were interpreted as harsh, maybe they were, maybe not, maybe the person responding is the most kind, loving person in the world, and wrote their response with tears running down their cheeks because they don't want to see the person go down a bad path. I am still optimistic about the members of this site and their good intentions. Btw, I am not sleeved yet and I would not ever endeavor to give medical advise to anyone, just share my own experience.
    Have a great weekend. Congrats on your upcoming anniversary.

14. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts

What is this site turning into? Not everyone is a newbie on here. I think that anyone who shares on here is receptive to the responses given and should feel free to share, comment, ask questions, etc.

You are correct about the newbies, but, if you'll go back a reread all of the responses, you'll find the overwhelming majority of them are from folks who haven't logged enough miles on their sleeve to give the advice they have been giving. The only way anyone should give advice is if they have a common frame of reference with the person they are giving advice to. Everything else is opinion.

In order to give someone advice on what to do with their sleeve, you first must be sleeved. Not about to be sleeved. Sleeved. Secondly, you must have gone through the exact scenario they are going through and then give first hand, anecdotal advice on what to do. Not what you've read, not what you've heard. What you've experienced.

I love the folks that come on here and give advice on what not to do. That's just as important as giving advice on what to do.

And thirdly, you must state that what you are giving is advice. Not the gospel. There should always be some kind of disclaimer stating that this is what worked for you, but, it may not work for them. Or, as my girl Ann always says, "your mileage may vary".

When I give advice, it's always, always, always grounded in a big ass dose of been there and done that. Both good and bad experiences. You won't catch me commenting on folks that want to talk about PCOS, menstrual issues, hormonal imbalances, and what to do with bat wings and sagging boobs. Why? I have no common frame of reference and all I would be doing is repeating what I've read on here or heard from the crazy ass females in my sleeve group.

No one wants to hear my advice on female issues. Just like I don't want to hear a newbie's advice on how to bust a stall....while they are in a stall......lol. Bust your stall and then come on here and tell the world how you did it.

Now...on a side note, I don't have a problem with sagging boobs and most intelligent, enlightened men won't either. Of course, I'm a boob guy. I think the more natural a woman looks, the better she looks.

Oh...and by the way....waiting out a stall is not a solution. There...been wanting to get that off of my chest too.

Wow...I just saved myself some time when I type out the five year manifesto. I'll copy and paste this part......lol.

16. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Your insurance must have covered your surgery, because if you had invested any hard earned cash you wouldn't be blowing it after just three weeks. Seriously?!? Didn't anyone tell you what to eat after surgery?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kim
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Your insurance must have covered your surgery, because if you had invested any hard earned cash you wouldn't be blowing it after just three weeks. Seriously?!? Didn't anyone tell you what to eat after surgery?
    How exactly am I blowing it? Give me a specific answer.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kim
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    On the site: alighterme DOT COM for week 4:

Eat foods of normal consistency – you no longer have to puree or blend your foods

So I am 2 days away from eating foods of a normal consistency. So I had soft chicken and tuna couple days early. TWO DAYS early. And I am blowing it?
    I had ONE BITE of taco shell. How is that blowing it? I had two bites of pasta. I mean really?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sam
    Surgeon
    Noonan
    Last Activity
    09-21-2017 04:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

What is this site turning into? Not everyone is a newbie on here. I think that anyone who shares on here is receptive to the responses given and should feel free to share, comment, ask questions, etc.

You are correct about the newbies, but, if you'll go back a reread all of the responses, you'll find the overwhelming majority of them are from folks who haven't logged enough miles on their sleeve to give the advice they have been giving. The only way anyone should give advice is if they have a common frame of reference with the person they are giving advice to. Everything else is opinion.

In order to give someone advice on what to do with their sleeve, you first must be sleeved. Not about to be sleeved. Sleeved. Secondly, you must have gone through the exact scenario they are going through and then give first hand, anecdotal advice on what to do. Not what you've read, not what you've heard. What you've experienced.

I love the folks that come on here and give advice on what not to do. That's just as important as giving advice on what to do.

And thirdly, you must state that what you are giving is advice. Not the gospel. There should always be some kind of disclaimer stating that this is what worked for you, but, it may not work for them. Or, as my girl Ann always says, "your mileage may vary".

When I give advice, it's always, always, always grounded in a big ass dose of been there and done that. Both good and bad experiences. You won't catch me commenting on folks that want to talk about PCOS, menstrual issues, hormonal imbalances, and what to do with bat wings and sagging boobs. Why? I have no common frame of reference and all I would be doing is repeating what I've read on here or heard from the crazy ass females in my sleeve group.

No one wants to hear my advice on female issues. Just like I don't want to hear a newbie's advice on how to bust a stall....while they are in a stall......lol. Bust your stall and then come on here and tell the world how you did it.

Now...on a side note, I don't have a problem with sagging boobs and most intelligent, enlightened men won't either. Of course, I'm a boob guy. I think the more natural a woman looks, the better she looks.

Oh...and by the way....waiting out a stall is not a solution. There...been wanting to get that off of my chest too.

Wow...I just saved myself some time when I type out the five year manifesto. I'll copy and paste this part......lol.
    Alrighty then. Thanks for the response.

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    12-21-2018 09:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 774 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 169 Posts