Surgeon
    Dr. Genaw
    Last Activity
    08-10-2017 08:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Cool Almost there

I haven't been posting because I didn't really have much to say. I tried before but someone was rather rude and told me I shouldn't feel the way I do. I chose to not post than be told that. With that said, I am willing to try again.

I am having my sleeve gastrectomy next Tuesday. Going through the medical fast right now and find myself a little tired but still able to do housework and exercise. It does help to keep my mind off worrying about things. Not sure why I am worrying because intellectually I understand this is the best move for myself. Even with seeing a therapist, I still am unsure of things. That doesn't mean I am not going through with it after 8 months of preparation for this. I have an extremely supportive husband which is helping me a great deal.

One thing I want to ask is about nutritional supplements. I purchased the 4 in 1 products from Celebrate, but wondering what other people are using. i had someone tell me about Premier protein shakes, but not been out pricing yet.

Going to my great nephew's birthday on Sunday but I hear by that time the worst of the medical fast has passed and your no longer hungry. Just want to do something special during all of this and my 8 year old great nephew won't understand why I don't want to go to a cookout right now.

Thanks for listening.

Jerry M.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Tommy1969's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Tom
    Surgery date
    02/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tieu
    Last Activity
    06-07-2019 06:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 179 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Almost there

Premier Protein Shakes are my favorite especially the Caramel and Strawberries and Cream flavors. The Celebrate supplements are good and I also take a calcium supplement and B12 spray.

I am almost 6 months out with no regrets! I do remember those 2 weeks of fasting, the first 4 days were the hardest for me but got through it without cheating once. Best of luck to you on YOUR JOURNEY!

I think we all tweak our plans based on experience and results.

WIsh you the best!

Regards,

Tommy

Original Weight - 479
    Day of Surgery - 459
    Month 1 - 438
    Month 2 - 418
    Month 3 - 409
    Month 6 - 389

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member tamstress's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. French
    Last Activity
    04-04-2022 04:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 56 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

Nerves are normal. I would be more concerned about anyone undergoing a major surgery and life change who wasn't at least a little nervous. It doesn't mean that you aren't confident in your decision, only that you are intelligent enough to realize that this is big and there are risks associated.

I loooovvvee Premier shakes. They are available at Walmart and Sam's. I don't have a Costco, but I think they are available there too. At my location, they are a little over $7 for 4 at Walmart and cheaper by the 12 pack at Sam's. Powdered protein can offer some cost savings per portion, but the convenience and taste of Premier are worth it to me.

For vitamins, I am taking the Walmart equivalent of Centrum Complete and the Walmart Calcium Citrate. My doctor recommends only using the brand he sells, but I have had 2 sets of blood work so far and everything has been in normal range.

Sending you prayers and good thoughts for your surgery and recovery.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi, Jerry. I think everyone's nervous. I remember (? I think ?) that you had had an earlier bad surgical experience. FYI, being sleeved was the very first time I was ever in an operating room or under full anesthesia, so I was having a bit of a Disney Surgery World Ride experience. j/k Anyway, I'm sure you've done your homework well and know VSG surgery is low-risk (compared to some other surgeries).

Anyway, shakes and vitamins ... I like Premier Protein shakes and the fact that they're so widely available (I get mine at Walmart). But the one I really like the best is GNC's Lean 25 Swiss Chocolate shake. This is all very personal. Protip -- don't invest in a lot of stuff pre-op, because immediately post-op your tastes will likely be different. The worst mistake I did was to buy a supply of Isopure protein drinks (they are very low and even zero carb, which made them sound like an ideal thing to sip post-op). Problem is, they really sucked taste-wise. Again, that was my experience -- yours might be different.

Re vitamins -- I just took chewable Centrums. I've added some other supplements since then, but those are specific to my vitamin needs (everyone's needs aren't the same).

FYI, I had VSG surgery 3 years ago this month (August 2014). I lost all my excess weight and have maintained my weight loss ever since. This is a big opportunity for you to change you life ALL for the better. I hope you find it as much of a miracle as I did.

Very best wishes to you next Tuesday!

Ann

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry someone made you feel that way. I'm glad you've reached out again. I preferred the EAS Advant Edge shakes. The Premier made me feel a little queasy for some reason. For supplements I take calcium citrate, vitamin D, a multi vitamin, biotin, and B12. I'm sure you'll be ok at your great nephews party. Be strong. Good luck on your surgery.

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/15/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Genaw
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times

Thank you Ann,

First of all, love that avatar! My first surgical experience was a disaster that almost killed me, literally. I do keep in mind that I had just quit smoking and had bad lungs. 13 years later that should be resolved. Just freaking out a little bit. I know that I am doing what is best for me. My husband is extremely supportive which helps a great deal. Hearing from people on the forum is very nice and when possible I plan on returning the favor.

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/15/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Genaw
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times

All,
    I didn't know about some of the things that were mentioned until this afternoon after making a purchase of another product. Picked something really basic so it shouldn't interfere taste wise from what they told us at the pre-surgery class. The best news is that it is almost here and a new life will start. As many say "This too shall pass" and I will make it through perfectly fine.......I hope!

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member blondie11.11's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-24-2017 11:38 AM
    https://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/membermap.php?lat=47.653547818654&lng=-117.40429714322&zoom=6
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

You've got this! You are much closer than I am to your surgery date but you'll be just that much more ahead of me in your weight loss so you can mentor me with your success! Breathe and keep yourself occupied with positive thoughts and set a mental goal of yourself and how you want to see yourself after your first year. I look forward to hearing all about your progress! Keep those of us newbies posted on your accomplishments and any struggles you overcome - we are in this with you

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/16/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Angstadt
    Last Activity
    09-25-2018 03:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Jerry - my surgery is the day after yours and I too have to go to a family party during my pre-op liquid diet. At this point, 10 days in, I am not as hungry as I was a week ago. Thanks for asking about the supplements- I was wondering myself. Good luck to you!

Kelly

Gastric Sleeve Member belle69142's Avatar
    Name
    Belle
    Surgery date
    07/10/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-02-2022 01:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

good luck!!! its a good day.. my dad's bday.. I use premier shakes Costco is cheapest so far that I have seen... I buy them by the case... yummy! 24.99 for 18... and sometimes on sale!