Surgeon
    Dr. French
    Last Activity
    04-04-2022 04:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 56 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

Default Ramblings

Let me start by saying thank you to all the veteran WLS posters who guide us newbies through this journey. I have learned so much and am so thankful that I have your experience to draw from.

I don't post often, so this might be a bunch of stuff all jumbled up.

I'm trying so hard to wait out this stupid stall. If I hadn't read all of your experiences and known this was to be expected I would be crying my eyes out right now. Instead, I'm keeping to my protein, water and exercise goals and focusing on the fact that even though the scale may not be moving down, Praise the Lord it ain't moving up!

Yesterday was my first time really eating out since surgery. My husband and I went to Copeland's. (Why the hell don't they have their nutrition info available????) I'm so proud to say that I ordered a small plate of grilled chicken skewers with apple ginger slaw, with sauce on the side. I could only eat half of the skewers from a small plate! I tasted the apple slaw, and though it was delicious, I knew I needed to focus on my protein. Ya'll understand what a huge change this is from a person who before surgery would have ordered an app, a pasta plate and probably some cheesecake. When the waiter asked if everything was alright because I had eaten so little, my husband said, "She's great!" Although his comment wasn't directly to me, his acknowledgement of my progress was so wonderful.

I've battled depression and overeating my entire life. I can't remember a time without either. I'm not sure what has affected my depression lately. I have this amazing sense of calm and well-being. I have personal life drama that would ordinarily have me a wreck, but I'm good. Maybe it is the confidence that is coming from each of these small victories over food. Maybe it is the hormonal changes from the weight loss. Maybe my weight loss has affected the dosage of my anti-depressant and I'm getting too much happy juice. Whatever it is, I hope it lasts forever.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ramblings

Congrats on choosing protein over the side. The stall will pass. Breathe. You may need more food. When I stalled I always needed to up my intake to get moving again. Especially if you're exercising. Are you taking measurements? That helps to see you're still losing inches when the scale isn't moving. You'll get there in time. I'm 9 months out and below goal. I remember wondering if it'd work in the beginning bc I felt I was losing slowly. Now I look back and laugh.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

Congrats on your choices. It is an amazing change to go from there to here.

A documentary I was watching may have hinted at your depression status. Fat cells can store hormones too. And as we start to lose weight the hormones are released back into our bodies. So the elevated hormone levels may be affecting your mood. It may have nothing to do with it but....

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member tamstress's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. French
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 56 Times

Thanks, Christie13. I've been contemplating increasing my calories, but I'm so scared to do something wrong. I currently have My Fitness Pal calorie goal set for 800 calories per day, and I am consistently below that, but usually at least 700. I am taking measurements. I didn't really know what I was doing when I took my initial measurements, so I only measured one arm and one leg. Even only counting half my limbs I have lost over 24 inches so far. Even the last couple of weeks when the scale has not moved or only moved 1 lb, my inches continue to go down. I'm so happy with that! The trainer at the gym says don't worry about what the scale says, worry about what the mirror says.

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member tamstress's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. French
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 56 Times

Thanks, Greg. I think you are on to something about the hormones. Right after surgery I had the typical roller coaster emotions from hormones and food withdrawals. I'm very pleased that my mood has not only stabilized, but stabilized on a high.

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents