Dr. Girish Luthra
    Last Activity
    09-17-2019 10:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Newbie

Hi,

I am scheduled to have my sleeve done on September 22. I haven't really shared with anyone that I am having WLS, my wife and a trusted co-worker are the only ones that know. I still am unsure what I am going to tell my kids, I am leaning towards abdominal surgery and if pressed for more, adding hernia and gallbladder. I really don't want the attention that weight loss tends to bring. There are so many misconceptions out there and it seems that just about everyone has an opinion on it.

I am 40, 6'2, and 288. I think at my heaviest I was right around 335 or 340, based off of pictures and the way clothes fit. I have been doing Weight Watchers since about mid-December and I am down right around 30 pounds. I plateaued since June and haven't lost, but I haven't gained. I have gout, I was diagnosed pre-diabetic a year ago, I have high blood pressure, I did a sleep study in January and I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. I always thought of myself as being pretty active and my size has never kept me from doing things, I used to joke that I would just be fat and happy my whole life. Well, I haven't been as happy the last couple of years.

I excited, but nervous, and looking forward to the future for me and post WLS. I hope to get off the blood pressure meds and the c-pap machine. I really hate that thing, being a stomach sleeper, I hate wearing that mask!

J

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

Default Re: Newbie

Welcome Joe.

If I may, don't be "ashamed/embarrassed" by having this surgery. Us guys need to stick together and get other guys to understand that getting help is not weakness. I have been fortunate that from the beginning I have told anyone and everyone that would listen with only one person thinking I could just do it a different way. I could not be happier today than I am. My life has changed immeasurably by having this done and I want others who need the help to get it without feeling less of themselves. I have watched many documentaries and listened to many podcasts that have helped explain how our bodies fight against our efforts to be more fit. As cavemen, our DNA is built to protect against famine and winter by changing body functions to maintain body weight and composition.

I too used to think of myself as the happy fat guy but looking back now, there is no way I was happy. I was constantly in pain, my knees, my back, etc. I was really quite grumpy most of the time. When I started this last year, I was taking 14 pills a day for cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc. I am down to 1 and 1/2 pills. I sleep better. All the things you can imagine getting better are pretty much better.

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115

Surgery date
    07/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-05-2018 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 285 Times
    Was Thanked 245 Times in 196 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 567 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the site! You are in the right place for amazing support and a wealth of information and experience from countless others traveling along the same journey. Everyone here is fantastic!! As you move forward, be sure to post your experiences so you can help others too. Most importantly ~ here's wishing you MUCH SUCCESS (hugs)

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome.

You don't have to tell anyone about your WLS if you don't want to. I didn't. It was so the right decision for me, surrounded by family members and friends, most of whom have never battled weight issues in their lives. You're right -- there's great ignorance out there.

For those who want to be Weight Loss Surgery missionaries or who have other reasons for being transparent about your WLS -- go for it.

It was not for me.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    For those who want to be Weight Loss Surgery missionaries or who have other reasons for being transparent about your WLS -- go for it.

It was not for me.
    Of course you are right Ann. I just wish it wasn't so. I can relate that since I have shared with others that at least four people have decided to go through the process. I am happy beyond belief that I could help out friends, family (including my step-mom) and and a co-worker by sharing my story. I have been blessed to have been surrounded by many supportive people. I guess I wish people understood medical necessity and did not judge, and this is why I have been so open about my changes. Even to the point that this guy who is phobic of public speaking is talking at the intro seminars.

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/25/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Samuel Bledsoe
    Last Activity
    08-19-2017 08:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Welcome! Im the same I didn't tell alot of people but the ppl i did tell told others and that made me mad!! I had surgery in april and im down 67lbs i just got off blood pressure meds last werk!!! I still wear cpap but it looks like that will go next!! I had a heart attack from having sleep apnea so wear it!! If it isn't comfortable go to the med supply store and talk to them they can help you with options to make it more comfortable! Really! Welcome I look forward to seeing you succeed on your journey!!

11. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-13-2023 05:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 77 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

I agree with not telling anyone.. Only my mother and sister know as they were sleeved before me. I want to address your gout.. Are you on allipurnol? or anything to reduce your uric acid levels? Gout attacks while losing weight fast are very common.. I had surgery 5 weeks ago and had / am having the longest attack of gout in my life. (lasting for about 4 weeks) You can not take indomethician after your surgery so that isn't a help ..
    if I had it to do over I would start taking alliporinal before the surgery . (talk to your surgeon.)
    PG

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/15/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Genaw
    Last Activity
    08-10-2017 08:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Cool Re: Newbie

Hey Joe,
    WLS is a personal experience. I understand the idea of not wanting to share. ff. If you only want to tell a few people, that is your decision and a good one. I tend to tell people in my life and they have asked general questions but know that this will be a process. You have to do what works for you.

Though 52, I have severe sleep apnea, hypertension, and depression related to my weight. 4 doctors told me to consider bariatric surgery considering all the problems I have had with losing weight. I look forward to my medications changing and possibly getting off my AVAPS (slightly more technical breathing machine for night). Also have severe back pain from an accident that may improve with weight loss. I am hopeful yet conservative in my thinking. Just take it one day at a time and things will happen when they should.

Also, welcome to the forum.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Girish Luthra
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

Quote Originally Posted by PokerGuy View Post
    I agree with not telling anyone.. Only my mother and sister know as they were sleeved before me. I want to address your gout.. Are you on allipurnol? or anything to reduce your uric acid levels? Gout attacks while losing weight fast are very common.. I had surgery 5 weeks ago and had / am having the longest attack of gout in my life. (lasting for about 4 weeks) You can not take indomethician after your surgery so that isn't a help ..
    if I had it to do over I would start taking alliporinal before the surgery . (talk to your surgeon.)
    PG
    I appreciate you mentioning this, I had no idea.

I don't take anything for my gout, just indomethacin when I have a flare. I have had a couple of gout flares in the last 8 months which really made no sense to me because I was really watching what I ate and I was advoiding triggers foods. I wonder now if it had to do with losing weight?

I am going to mention it to my surgeon. Thanks again.

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Girish Luthra
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_ryder View Post
    Welcome Joe.

If I may, don't be "ashamed/embarrassed" by having this surgery. Us guys need to stick together and get other guys to understand that getting help is not weakness. I have been fortunate that from the beginning I have told anyone and everyone that would listen with only one person thinking I could just do it a different way. I could not be happier today than I am. My life has changed immeasurably by having this done and I want others who need the help to get it without feeling less of themselves. I have watched many documentaries and listened to many podcasts that have helped explain how our bodies fight against our efforts to be more fit. As cavemen, our DNA is built to protect against famine and winter by changing body functions to maintain body weight and composition.

I too used to think of myself as the happy fat guy but looking back now, there is no way I was happy. I was constantly in pain, my knees, my back, etc. I was really quite grumpy most of the time. When I started this last year, I was taking 14 pills a day for cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc. I am down to 1 and 1/2 pills. I sleep better. All the things you can imagine getting better are pretty much better.
    Thank you for the encouragement.
    I don't have any shame surrounding it or knowing that I need help. For me, its that there are so many "experts" out there who think they know and at this point. If I have to hear another person talk about another persons weight loss and how they did it the "right way", I'm going to scream. There are many different ways and some are right for others and some are not. I don't want to be the one to inform or educate about WLS. Maybe later, but at least for now its not for me.

That is awesome going from 14 pills to 1 1/2!

Do you have any favorite podcast reccomendations?

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times

reeger cortell is my favorite at www.weightlosssurgerypodcast.com

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome Joe! I am like you. I only told my husband & kids, dad & sister, and 4 close friends. No one else. I am sure that some speculate but I don't care. I tell them portion control, low carb, and exercise. All true...just omit my surgery. I was out a week from work for my surgery. I told coworkers that I had surgery for a hernia and ulcer. Both technically true as well. I did have hernia repair and had an ulcer that was removed with the portion of stomach that was removed to make my sleeve. I am happy to not have the judgement of others regarding my decision. That is just me, though, and others are ok with it.
    As for your getting sleeved, it is normal to be nervous. It is life changing. Your health problems will hopefully all go away. You will look better. You will feel better. You are going to get your life back. You are going to be there for your wife and kids for a long time!! Congrats on your decision to be sleeved. Good luck to you!!