Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    08-23-2020 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times
    Was Thanked 475 Times in 285 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

Default 6 months since my surgery!

Well, well, well.

It's officially 6 months since my surgery.

I have no regrets, and really, really love my new life/body!

It hasn't been all easy though. I have tough days where I just feel down. I can't eat anymore to deal with emotions, so some days that is a challenge. I wish there was a decent support group here in CT, but they all seem to be more like advertising sessions that I am just not interested in. I have debated about going to an overeaters anon meeting to see what its about, but am worried they might lynch me when this thin guy walks in complaining about eating.....

I have definitely substituted exercise for food in my efforts to deal with stress and replace emotional eating. Not that it is a bad thing, but I notice when I take a rest day I get the urge to eat even when I'm not hungry.

Speaking of hunger... My hunger pains have definitely returned. I try to quell them with drinking water and occasionally with a healthy snack. I try to drink a lot of water everyday (at least 100 oz, sometimes more).

There are good days, and there are bad days!

Today started out good. Ran 5 miles this morning, and will go for a bike ride later today. Have another triathlon in 2 weeks, and I am determined to have a good race, especially the run. Hoping to run a sub 24 minute 5k to finish the race, been working really hard at that. I'll finish out my triathlon season in September with one on the 17th, and then, I'm going to run the Hartford 1/2 marathon on October 14th. I figure if I keep signing up for races it will motivate me to get out and exercise which will help me with my new life.

On the weight loss front, I was 193 this morning, down 98 pounds since surgery! I am beginning to wonder if I am stuck in a stall, or am I done? I have been floating between 195 and 192 for a few weeks now...... I am happy either way, as 192 - 195 seems to be a good weight for me.

I see my doctor today at 3pm so we will see what he says, but I can't think he would be anything but happy with the results.

Happy trails fellow sleevers!
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

"Never take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!"

Remember, in this thing, it's a good thing to be a loser!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG
    Target Weight -205 That's right, 205!!!!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Re: 6 months since my surgery!

I can tell you from experience that at this stage of your weight loss, your body will tell you what it wants. If you're hungry, then you probably need to eat. Your body is probably stalling due to it's feeling like you are attacking it with starvation.

I would suggest that you do not resist your cravings or your body's signals. It's ok to eat when ever you want, but, you just can't over eat. I would suggest some dense, animal protein. Not protein isolates or vegetable protein. Meat, chicken, fish, pork. You'll be amazed at how quickly your sleeve fills up and the extra protein will definitely ignite your metabolism.

The plan I developed to lose with the sleeve involves eating lots of protein, carbs and fat. Protein kicks in your metabolism and the carbs and fat are used for fuel. As I always state, this is my plan and may not work for you. But, if you're stalling, or think you're stalling, then you really need to think about changing how you do things if you think you still have weight to lose.

Make a plan. Work the plan. Own the results. Change as necessary.

Good Luck.

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    I can tell you from experience that at this stage of your weight loss, your body will tell you what it wants. If you're hungry, then you probably need to eat. Your body is probably stalling due to it's feeling like you are attacking it with starvation.

I would suggest that you do not resist your cravings or your body's signals. It's ok to eat when ever you want, but, you just can't over eat. I would suggest some dense, animal protein. Not protein isolates or vegetable protein. Meat, chicken, fish, pork. You'll be amazed at how quickly your sleeve fills up and the extra protein will definitely ignite your metabolism.

The plan I developed to lose with the sleeve involves eating lots of protein, carbs and fat. Protein kicks in your metabolism and the carbs and fat are used for fuel. As I always state, this is my plan and may not work for you. But, if you're stalling, or think you're stalling, then you really need to think about changing how you do things if you think you still have weight to lose.

Make a plan. Work the plan. Own the results. Change as necessary.

Good Luck.
    Thanks. I agree. I've been working out a lot, and I think that has something to do with my need to increase calories. It's a complex emotional difficult process though. On one hand, my body is telling me it needs more food for energy, but the other hand is telling me, DON'T eat or you'll end up right back where you were. Seems like it should be simple, but it isn't.

I think I'm going to change up my diet a little and try to get back to taking in a lot of dense protein like you said. I will get carbs regardless, but I think I need to focus on protein like you suggested.
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Kristina
    Surgery date
    04/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Macaron
    Last Activity
    09-03-2017 05:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Great WL! I couldn't understand before surgery what a mental process this is, actually more like mental trickery! You are running and training for marathons which puts you in your own head space, I agree with the support group, sometimes to just verbalize this whole process with people that get it. I am doing my 2nd support group visit at St Mary's Hosp, I'm at my 4 month mark and should also find a more casual support group in the area, lmk if you find anything!

Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

You are doing spectacular! I understand what you are saying though. I was an emotional eater (the feeling always lurks in the back of my mind I think) and now that I can't do it (overeat) I find I am doing more 'Words With Friends' games or keeping myself busy tinkering around and at the gym. I have hunger pains too now (4 months out) but I have been squashing those feelings with a glass of water. Mine happens late at night... 8:00pm, like clockwork and I am NOT going to eat anything when it happens. I am down 93 pounds and have worked so hard to get here... it's such a mental thing we live with. The protein is what helps me (some chicken, or lean beef) and that's what fills me up.
    Keep up the good work!

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I think I'm going to change up my diet a little and try to get back to taking in a lot of dense protein like you said. I will get carbs regardless, but I think I need to focus on protein like you suggested.

When I did that, I concentrated on getting what I called a "three for one". I would eat foods that had protein, fat and carbs in one food. Think fried chicken or chicken fried steak. You don't need to worry about eating too much of these foods as you can't possibly eat enough to cause you to gain weight.....that is unless you do nothing but eat these foods all day long...then you're over eating.

What worked for me was that I would make a little extra of what ever I was having for dinner, and I would eat that for breakfast, with an egg. That's a double punch.

For those who are reading this, I have tons of info on my profile page concerning stalls. How they happen, how to bust them, and how to never get one ever again.

I also incorporated one important change to my eating plan that made all the difference. I completely stopped eating veggies and got those vitamins in me via supplements. Veggies take up too much valuable sleeve space. So, I made an adjustment and substituted. The only thing that goes into my mouth is protein, carbs, fat......and margaritas.

Margaritas. Are. Important.

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I was also thinking you may need to eat more. I know I've had to up my calories. And I'm still losing. My 2 cents. But you've done phenomenally and look amazing. Your fitness quests are totally inspiring.

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times

Everyone is telling me to eat more...... I'll think about it on my 20 mile bike ride.

I do think you all are probably right. I'm struggling with it mentally however.

Thanks!
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG

Name
    hmmmmm I wonder
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Romanelli
    Last Activity
    01-09-2018 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 370 Times in 237 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 96 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gvn71 View Post
    Everyone is telling me to eat more...... I'll think about it on my 20 mile bike ride.

I do think you all are probably right. I'm struggling with it mentally however.

Thanks!
    If you are struggling with the mental aspect of this journey then I would suggest seeking out a mental health professional. I see one twice a month for other issues beyond eating but when I do have any struggle mentally with food I have someone to talk it out with and it does help.

Starting weight 328
    pre-op weight- 298
    1 month out- 262
    2 month out- 244
    3 month out- 227
    4 month out- 215
    5 month out- 203
    6 month out- 195
    7 month out- 194 in 1 month stall
    8 month out- 192
    9 month out-190
    10 month out-