Surgeon
    Dr.Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    07-30-2017 06:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Post OP Day 10 Freaking Out about diet

Hi Everyone! I had my surgery last Monday 7/17. I did one week clear liquid diet. I thought I could start soft foods as tolerated. My post op instructions were NOT clear. I had applesauce, sf pudding, puréed chicken soup, hummus and even 3 saltines twice (I know shame on me!)
    It wasn't till I talked to my doctor today that I realized I was suppose to do clear liquid diet for 2 weeks. I've handled the good well, 2-3 oz total at a time. I'm stressing now bc I worry I've stretched my pouch. Dr.Kelly said I wouldn't be hungry but I feel hungry. Frustrated and worried!!!!
    My questions are:
    Did anyone feel hungry starting week 2 post op?
    Did anyone eat soft foods week 2 post?
    Dr. says I haven't stretched my pouch BUT I'm concerned! Maybe it' wasn't small enough to begin with? It the size of an egg he says.

I'd love anyone thoughts,opinions and experiences. TY in advance!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Post OP Day 10 Freaking Out about diet

Being hungry at that stage could be stomach acid, it does mimic hunger. Most patient get a PPI post-op for at least one month. But if you try with Tums and see a change you will now that's reflux/acid.

All doctors have different guidelines, some start soft food really early. I was in full liquid (soup yogurt etc) at two weeks, soft food didn't agree with me so I started later.
    The most important is to measure, I was never eating more than 1/2 cup per meal, eating really slowly bites the size of a peanut and it was fine. For the first 4 months I was probably only eating 1/4 cup I always had left over.

Some people eat too much and get sick. That's why you need to eat slowly, never eat more than you are supposed too and try to detect "signals" that you are full. For me the first month it was hiccups, but I also got those if my stomach didn't digest something well, could be confusing.

Good luck!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Agree with Sandra. I would not be too worried. I can tell you that I was supposed to do a liquid for 14 days-not just clear liquids. At 10 I started soft foods. I just couldn't stand liquids only any more. I have done just fine. I have listened to my body and steadily dropped all my excess weight. I did not ruin my sleeve by advancing too early. And as Sandra stated....every sleever is given different post op guidelines and everyone loses even if at different rates. Just don't stress....that plays nasty things on your body. And I also had the acid reflux in the beginning that mimicked hunger pangs. The antacid does help. Eventually that went away after a few months. Once you start eating solid foods that helps as well. You got this Jen. It is going to work. When you start eating foods make sure you make healthy choices.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr.Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

Well, I need to learn to tell the difference between stomach acid and hunger pains! TY for ur response����

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr.Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

It was quite a shock to know I wasn't following the correct diet! I've handled the food fine! Losing at a good rate. I just worried I'd damaged my pouch. It's been my hardest day yet�� TY for the feedback!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Last Activity
    11-06-2017 11:21 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries

My surgery was 7/19. I'm on full liquid but I've had a few nibbles of mashed potatoes and had a few bites of mashed avocado with taco soup for dinner. I had no issues whatsoever. I think the main reason for staying with full liquids is that it gives your tummy extra time to heal without any additional pressure. I'll be able to move on to the pureed food next week and I can't wait. Been feeling starved! ;-)

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3 View Post
    Being hungry at that stage could be stomach acid, it does mimic hunger. Most patient get a PPI post-op for at least one month. But if you try with Tums and see a change you will now that's reflux/acid.

All doctors have different guidelines, some start soft food really early. I was in full liquid (soup yogurt etc) at two weeks, soft food didn't agree with me so I started later.
    The most important is to measure, I was never eating more than 1/2 cup per meal, eating really slowly bites the size of a peanut and it was fine. For the first 4 months I was probably only eating 1/4 cup I always had left over.

Some people eat too much and get sick. That's why you need to eat slowly, never eat more than you are supposed too and try to detect "signals" that you are full. For me the first month it was hiccups, but I also got those if my stomach didn't digest something well, could be confusing.

Good luck!
    I STILL get hiccups if I drink water too fast or eat something too quick.

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Bell
    Last Activity
    12-28-2017 12:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times

Hi Jen! I was sleeved on 7/18 and am on a 2 week clear liquid diet (protein shake allowed). While I haven't eaten anything yet, I too am concerned I stretched my pouch because I can down large volumes of liquid in one fell swoop! I am also experiencing those hunger pains and sometimes they're pretty bad. I find that pepcid helps to alleviate some of that hunger sensation, but not fully. I was told that in some cases, if the hunger pangs are bad, your surgeon can prescribe a stronger anti-acid. I have my two week follow-up on August 2nd and will ask for that as it is those pangs that wake me in the morning.

I don't think you have to worry though. Some doctors have their sleevers advance to soft foods during the second week and many have been extremely successful. It all comes down to what you consume so just make it a point to stick to the healthier stuff and you'll be more than fine. Since our surgeries were a day apart, I'd love to keep in touch and check in regularly with you. You've got this!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr.Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

Hi! Thanks for the message! I'd love to keep in touch. It's great our dates are match! How has post op been? Have you gone back to work? Any pain?
    I think I freaked myself out because it's been a easy recovery for me. I read other people's stories and I feel like a wierdo. I'm in my early thirties and have no weight related heath problems. My doctor says that's why it's been easy.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Bell
    Last Activity
    12-28-2017 12:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times

Hi Jen! Sorry for the late response. First week post-op was difficult. I spent two nights in the hospital due to pain and discomfort.Once I arrived home, I spent a lot of time sleeping. There was a lot of gas pain and general soreness around my incision sites. I purchased Gas-X strips and they're heavenly!!! I also struggled with keeping water down at first but had no difficulty with other liquids. I started feeling better after my 5th day post-op.

I went to the gym today and cycled for 30 mins and was so proud of myself. I could have done another 30 minutes but am going to ease my way into it. What are you doing exercise-wise? I don't yet have clearance to lift weights but planning on doing 30 to 45 mins of light cardio 5 times a week until I do. I'm in my mid--30's so we're not too far apart! How was your day?! How are you feeling?