Surgeon
    Shin
    Last Activity
    07-02-2017 01:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Spouse of surgery gastric sleeve patient

Hello all! First time here, wanted to say hello. My husband had his sleeve surgery Wednesday 6/28/17, and we brought him home yesterday. He's in alot of pain, pretty immobile, sipping powerade. He's up walking every hour, but says he still feels really rough with pain in stomach area. Does anyone know how long we can anticipate him being in this much pain and discomfort? Thanks in advance!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Spouse of surgery gastric sleeve patient

Didn't he come home with pain meds? If not, I'd call and ask for some. If the pain is severe, mention it to his surgeon.

Everyone's different, I didn't experience much pain at all. But that whole first week after surgery I basically slept. When I wasn't sleeping I was sipping my water/protein shakes and walking a little.

Hope he feels better soon! He is lucky to have a supportive spouse!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    BLANCA Z
    Surgery date
    05/13/2017
    Surgeon
    DR MICHAEL SEDREK
    Last Activity
    02-20-2018 02:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 125 Times

Hello good morning it should get better each day im almost 2 month post ops and the first week was really tough
    I had a lot of chest pain I guess because of the air and I needed to let it out but as far as the incision I was good
    but it should get better each day if hes in a lot of pain ask the doctor for medication .... Good luck

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Not everyone has a local surgeon - those who were self pay in Mexico don't. I was in alot of discomfort - not really pain - from the swelling and bloating for nearly 2 weeks - I freaked and went to the ER after 1 week and they found nothing wrong with me. After another week I was fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Didn't he come home with pain meds? If not, I'd call and ask for some. If the pain is severe, mention it to his surgeon.

Everyone's different, I didn't experience much pain at all. But that whole first week after surgery I basically slept. When I wasn't sleeping I was sipping my water/protein shakes and walking a little.

Hope he feels better soon! He is lucky to have a supportive spouse!

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Most people have a rough first week but then it gets better. I was sent home with liquid pain meds and anti nausea. Ask your doctor. Warm liquids were easier for me post op. And use a heating pad. That helped me a lot. I started to feel better around day 5.

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/28/2017
    Surgeon
    Shin
    Last Activity
    07-02-2017 01:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hey, thank you everybody who replied! They sent him home with some pain meds, but the reflux or heartburn are so bad I have to really stay after him to take the meds or fluids. I'm afraid he is going to get dehydrated, because he feels bloated so fast when he sips. He chews Gas X, and they gave us prescription protonix, but he seems really miserable, mostly laying around in recliner. Which is okay, except I have to force him to get up and walk around house every hour. Just wanted to see if other people had this much discomfort/reflux/ heartburn after sleeve surgery?

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by jsawife View Post
    Hey, thank you everybody who replied! They sent him home with some pain meds, but the reflux or heartburn are so bad I have to really stay after him to take the meds or fluids. I'm afraid he is going to get dehydrated, because he feels bloated so fast when he sips. He chews Gas X, and they gave us prescription protonix, but he seems really miserable, mostly laying around in recliner. Which is okay, except I have to force him to get up and walk around house every hour. Just wanted to see if other people had this much discomfort/reflux/ heartburn after sleeve surgery?
    I was sent home with a one month supply of reflux meds. I guess they just assumed I would need it! After the month, I was fine, didn't need any refills.

The Gas X strips aren't for the kind of gas (air) they put in your body for surgery, so those probably won't help.

Hope he's feeling better by now!