Dr. Illan
    Last Activity
    08-08-2017 12:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default I feel like I didn't have surgery

I had surgery 2 weeks ago and I don't feel like I have the restriction that everyone else does. I am able to eat one egg and 4 ounces of cottage cheese as a meal and probably could eat even more if I wanted to. Is this normal? The water is going down fine and I can already take much bigger sips of water. I don't get nauseous.The weird thing is the other day I had an egg and afterwards I felt like I had overate at Hometown Buffet. I am still not at the solid foods phase and thus far I have only been having protein shakes, eggs (limit one a day), and cottage cheese. Yet, I feel like I could eat more than 4 oz in one sitting and have a few times. My carbs, fat, calorie intake, and protein requirements are what they should be. I know I need to improve at SLOWING down. TMI coming: I am also on my period right now and I am craving food like crazy. I am not hungry now per se but I could eat more and there doesnt seem like there would be consequences i I did. Do you think I cannot feel the restriction as much because I am consuming things that go down easily? Will I feel it more as I heal and eat solid foods. I just hope my surgery was done right. I healed quickly and I feel ok. i just thought I would feel more restriction. Is this normal? I couldn't have stretched it out already right? It's not like I have been having big feasts. But I have eaten 6 ounces a couple o times as a meal and only waited an hour in betwn meals a few times. Have I screwed myself! Please share your knowledge and experiences with me.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I feel like I didn't have surgery

My restriction was not the same from one day to the other, it was like my stomach had a mind of his own. But since I was so swollen from being sick right after surgery I even staid on full liquid one more week because I couldn't stand pureed food.

Just take it as it come. Be glad not to be nauseous!

What I did was always follow the rule of no more than 1/2 cup per sitting for several months. Eat regular meals and one or two snacks.
    As soon as I was able to eat eggs, chicken or fish, I could feel my restriction really fast and still do today.

Your stomach will not stretch on soft food but why are you eating one hour after your meal? is it in your guideline?

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member kinipela24's Avatar
    Name
    Jennifer
    Surgery date
    06/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for your reply. I don't ALWAYS eat an hour after but I was just going back into my old habits and listening to head hunger. I have a food addiction that I am going to receive intensive help for starting tomorrow.

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kinipela24 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I don't ALWAYS eat an hour after but I was just going back into my old habits and listening to head hunger. I have a food addiction that I am going to receive intensive help for starting tomorrow.
    I was asking about your guideline because I saw a few surgeons who advise their patients to eat up to 8 meals per day at the beginning and from my personal experience I do think it's a mistake.

I also do feel like you when my anemia get worth, that's when my cravings come in full force. If I increase my iron intake it does get better.

Since the sleeve I tried my best no to be on a diet, so I do indulge my sweet tooth sometimes. But I always do after eating protein because it will make me full and I won't be able to eat much of it.
    Watching the quality of what you eat can also help, I don't do low fat for example because healthy fat also do stop hunger...but I do watch my carb intake since i could eat too much of it and for me eating cakes make me want to eat more...

Also, try to drink as much as possible, I felt that after the surgery sometimes I was thirsty and felt hungry...or when my reflux was bad I felt hungry too when I actually wasn't.

It did take me a few months to wrap my head around my new stomach's behavior and even today I'm still learning. It takes time. You will get there too, the first three months are for sure the most complicated.

When we lose weight, we produce hormones who make us want to eat more, so it's also a fight against biology. I'm not well informed about addiction besides my personal experience in quieting smoking 20 years ago but I hope you will find the help you need tomorrow.

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

8. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I think when you start more dense food, like meat, you will feel much more restriction. Liquids cause none, and soft foods not much. You're fine!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Forrester
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts

Just give yourself like 1/4 cup of cottage cheese and put the rest away. Eat that and be done. Don't keep eating. Just because you aren't feeling pain, doesn't mean you should keep going. I've always stopped eating the minute my stomach started making noise. That was always my first sign. My drs office is big into NO eating between meals. NEVER graze. If you graze you can just keep going and going.

Mental hunger is such a real thing. I feel like it was always there in the beginning. I had conversation with myself all the time, am I really hungry? Or is it in my head? Most of the time it was in my head. And remember your new little stomach is just a tool. You still have to control the rest.

Get on top of it all now, you're going to do great!

Surgery Day Weight 1/11: 300
    Month 1: -34 pounds, -25 inches

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member NYCGIRL000's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/15/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Jalil Illan
    Last Activity
    12-06-2018 10:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 30 Posts

I have surgery with Dr Illan in two weeks. Is this common to feel like you never had surgery after you have it? I hope that doesn't happen to me, I'm freaking out now...how common is this?

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    12-21-2018 09:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 774 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 169 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,104 Times

I can eat a lot also, but don't worry. You will never be able to eat as much as you did before surgery. Just watch what you eat and don't stuff yourself! You will adjust! Good luck! Watch these videos and others these doctors have done! The third one is a little graphic, so if you have a weak stomach skip it!

Send PM To Lisa73me Register To PM  Reply With Quote Register To Reply

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Find me on the map!
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kinipela24 View Post
    I had surgery 2 weeks ago and I don't feel like I have the restriction that everyone else does. I am able to eat one egg and 4 ounces of cottage cheese as a meal and probably could eat even more if I wanted to. Is this normal? The water is going down fine and I can already take much bigger sips of water. I don't get nauseous.The weird thing is the other day I had an egg and afterwards I felt like I had overate at Hometown Buffet. I am still not at the solid foods phase and thus far I have only been having protein shakes, eggs (limit one a day), and cottage cheese. Yet, I feel like I could eat more than 4 oz in one sitting and have a few times. My carbs, fat, calorie intake, and protein requirements are what they should be. I know I need to improve at SLOWING down. TMI coming: I am also on my period right now and I am craving food like crazy. I am not hungry now per se but I could eat more and there doesnt seem like there would be consequences i I did. Do you think I cannot feel the restriction as much because I am consuming things that go down easily? Will I feel it more as I heal and eat solid foods. I just hope my surgery was done right. I healed quickly and I feel ok. i just thought I would feel more restriction. Is this normal? I couldn't have stretched it out already right? It's not like I have been having big feasts. But I have eaten 6 ounces a couple o times as a meal and only waited an hour in betwn meals a few times. Have I screwed myself! Please share your knowledge and experiences with me.
    As other have mentioned, on my first NUT appointment she emphasized that I needed to be very calculating on how much I serve myself. She said that in the beginning to use a stage 2 baby food jar (use jar does not eat baby food) to measure my food. I figured out quickly that a stage 2 baby food jar is approximately 1/4 cup or 4 tablespoons or depending on the density of food 2-4oz. She told me to measure out one baby jar worth, and if I am still hungry to serve a second, but not a third. I always ate about a serving and half. I can eat easily about 2/4 cup now if like 10 minutes.

If you are eating very slow (which it is what is highly recommended) then that is why you might be able to eat what you have been eating. By the way, you are sooooo lucky that you can tolerate eggs! I was not able to stand smell or taste for about the first 3 months, and I love eggs! I eat them now often! it is my preferred snack!

By months end, I was on a strict schedule I ate regularly like every two hours, anything before was head hunger and I would distract myself. If I waited too long after two hours I was getting dizzy, and weak and headachy, and hangry for sure!!!

Now, I eat farther apart since I can eat more in one sitting.

I am glad you are getting help with you food addiction, I actually started seeing a therapist too post op. It has been a real good experience for me. Most of my food compulsions have to do with stressful situations and trauma I am still healing from.

Best of wishes on your recovery both in body, heart, mind and spirit.

Sending you immense Love and Luz always!
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

• Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sam
    Surgeon
    Noonan
    Last Activity
    09-21-2017 04:47 PM
    Find me on the map!
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm so very new to this process but I wonder if testing your limits this early out is a good idea? Please... I know nothing about this so if I'm off base, just please educate me.

Gastric Sleeve Member kinipela24's Avatar
    Name
    Jennifer
    Surgery date
    06/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NYCGIRL000 View Post
    I have surgery with Dr Illan in two weeks. Is this common to feel like you never had surgery after you have it? I hope that doesn't happen to me, I'm freaking out now...how common is this?
    Dr. Illan is an excellent surgeon and I was very happy with the care I received there. Everyone's body is individual and unique. This just seems to be MY personal experience but I don't think it has anything to do with him. Plus like I said it is my time of the month and I really think this is impacting things. So please don't worry about it.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

This soon after surgery your stomach is basically NUMB, thanks to severed nerves, swollen tissue, interrupted hormones, e.g., ghrelin, and just general head confusion about what hunger actually feels like -- plus, for some folks, tremendously terrible eating habits.

THIS IS NOT THE TIME TO CHALLENGE YOUR SLEEVE!!!!!

Measure your food before eating and eat no more than prescribed. This is like no other weight loss regimen you've ever been on. Don't even try to imagine it is.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

• Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Find me on the map!
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

I measure EVERYTHING and have since surgery in March. I am a little over 3 months out and can only NOW start increasing my meals to 4 - 5 oz per meal... and this has just been in the past week. Everyone's sleeve outcome is different from each other (as you know by reading on here) and you just have to make sure to measure everything right now to know exactly what is going in. It took me this long to finally be able to get more than an 1/8, 1/4, and a 1/2 cup of anything into my new stomach.

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

Gastric Sleeve Member BanillaVean's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/15/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sabrena Noria
    Last Activity
    10-03-2017 03:21 AM
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I am also in the same boat. I don't seem to feel the restriction like some folks do. I usually eat 1/4 c to 1/2 cup at time, usually some type of soup but also runny mashed potatoes, and pureed overstuffed ravioli. I can also take large gulps of water.

Oh - I am 14 days out. I don't get to chew food for 12 more days. I've lost 13 pounds but have been the same weight the last 3 mornings.I eat 500 to 550 calories per day. My day always consists of a premier protein shake with 2 T of PB power and 1oz of LiquaCel.

HW 245
    SW 230 (lost 5 pounds a few months before surgery, 10 during liver-shrink)
    MO1 210.4
    MO2 202.8

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Should have said this earlier ... y'all won't feel much restriction unail you start eating solid food. Animal protein and fibrous veggies will feel very different than yogurt, etc.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89