Surgeon
    Dr. J
    Last Activity
    08-20-2017 12:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 136 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 127 Times

Default Looking for support

I have not been on forums for a long time. I almost feel like I shouldn't ask, but I need to be accountable again. I lost 80 pounds, 152 being my lowest weight. I bounced back and forth 152-155 for several months. Last August I needed to help out a family member, so I got a part time job. I have been on disability for 10 years so it was really painful and stressful to work a 6 hour shift 4 days a week. I was working in a grocery store. It really didn't bother me for the most part. I stayed busy at the checkout. I found myself buying a bottle of wine, cheese and crackers. I didn't consume it all at once, but it still wasn't what I should have been doing. When Christmas came I had my usual depression and anxiety. I started eating a cookie here and there. Then I went to Florida. I knew I put on about 10 pounds there, but 162 seemed to be a good weight for me. My size 8's were no longer falling off of me, so it seemed like it would be where I should stay. I received a phone call mid February that my daughter was in pre-term labor by 8 weeks. I couldn't catch a flight for 2 days. They were not able to stop the labor so she delivered. The baby is perfect and is an absolute joy to me. I made it to the hospital 20 minutes before she was born. That's the good news!

The problem started when she went back to work. She had no babysitter so I ended up with her 6 days a week. My daughter works 3rd shift. It's hard for me to burn calories in a recliner, holding a baby. I got into a funk because I couldn't exercise and gained 10 pounds. So now I am 20 pounds over my lowest weight.

I had a good talk with myself. I prepared to get with the program and Sunday evening for dinner I whipped out my shakes. I talked to my nutritionist. She said that it is normal to gain some after sleeve. I am not binge eating. I just need to get back to eating 4 times a day. Last night I had a small piece of chicken breast and 2 hard boiled eggs. Perfect! She eased my mind about drinking liquids. I was afraid I was drinking too much at a time. I'm doing fine she said. (I'm paranoid about that)

This morning I got up and had coffee with sugar free creamer. I made a protein shake and really enjoying it. I'm going for a bike ride in a few minutes. I feel so much better. Ten to twenty pounds seems so do-able since I have my mind in the right place. I have also been in counseling for a few months. I have opened up about abuse from my childhood. I am calmer and under control. Losing weight and counseling has allowed me to rid myself of the pain I was wearing and shed after losing the weight.

Anyone want to have a week challenge and report back daily for support?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    hmmmmm I wonder
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Romanelli
    Last Activity
    01-09-2018 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 370 Times in 237 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 96 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking for support

HI I am disabled so understand your struggle from that aspect, I also have just tried returning to the work force on a very limited basis which put me back from a pain stand point a couple of years. I drink a lot of liquids and tend to drink quickly my Surgeon assured me there is no way to stretch your sleeve by drinking a lot liquids or by drinking quickly. It sounds to me you already started back down the right path just stick with it and you'll get back to where yu want to be good luck I know you can do it.

Starting weight 328
    pre-op weight- 298
    1 month out- 262
    2 month out- 244
    3 month out- 227
    4 month out- 215
    5 month out- 203
    6 month out- 195
    7 month out- 194 in 1 month stall
    8 month out- 192
    9 month out-190
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

4. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-05-2018 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 285 Times
    Was Thanked 245 Times in 196 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 567 Times
    Blog Entries

I am pre-op, but wanted to reach out with my support for what you are going through. I have fallen into the very same trap with my grandchildren and it has added to my weight gains too. I have been trying to creatively think of ways to work around this issue after my surgery. I have purchased a double jogging stroller that I plan to utilize often when the kids are over. I don't have all four at one time usually... but if I do.. I am going to start playing in the back yard with the group of tiny tornadoes and find a way to a least make a game out of walking "laps" back and forth. I have a newborn in the group... they range from 2 months to 3 years. I can just hold her while we walk if needed and if it is sunny I guess I will hold an umbrella over us. I know that sounds like maybe I have put too much time into over thinking this... maybe I have but I really only have one shot at this and I am bound and determined to make it work. I support you as you find a way to gain control and make it work for you too. YOU GOT THIS!!!! (hugs)

6. Said thanks:

Surgeon
    Dr. J
    Last Activity
    08-20-2017 12:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 136 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 127 Times

Donald: That is reassuring. I've always been a thirsty person. I used to drink diet Pepsi all day. I no longer crave it which is a blessing. I am drinking too much coffee though. I have bone loss so my doctor told me to cut way back. Decaf also has some caffeine in it so I am cutting out that new addiction. I appreciate your input. I have been told by so many people to sip, sip sip. If we are to consume ounces a day, I wouldn't be able to think about anything else. The dietician said that 8 ounces in 15 minutes is not going to stretch my sleeve. I'm glad you have been told the same thing. Thanks!

GigiUSA: Wow you really have a lot of love to go around! That means a lot of work too. It sounds like you are managing it well. I have a stroller and have taken her for several walks. I was so afraid the first few weeks because I felt I had to watch her breath all the time. Once she was home I was worried about SIDS. I used to putter around the house or yard a lot and burned a lot of calories. Now that she is 4 months I can let her sleep in the crib and get some things done. Thanks for your input.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sam
    Surgeon
    Noonan
    Last Activity
    09-21-2017 04:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GigiUSA View Post
    I am pre-op, but wanted to reach out with my support for what you are going through. I have fallen into the very same trap with my grandchildren and it has added to my weight gains too. I have been trying to creatively think of ways to work around this issue after my surgery. I have purchased a double jogging stroller that I plan to utilize often when the kids are over. I don't have all four at one time usually... but if I do.. I am going to start playing in the back yard with the group of tiny tornadoes and find a way to a least make a game out of walking "laps" back and forth. I have a newborn in the group... they range from 2 months to 3 years. I can just hold her while we walk if needed and if it is sunny I guess I will hold an umbrella over us. I know that sounds like maybe I have put too much time into over thinking this... maybe I have but I really only have one shot at this and I am bound and determined to make it work. I support you as you find a way to gain control and make it work for you too. YOU GOT THIS!!!! (hugs)
    I don't think it's possible to put too much time into thinking about how to find ways to stay active while doing something you love, being with your grandchildren. It's great that you are thinking about this now. It's not like you're worrying over it without coming up with solutions. You're working it out! That's a good thing!

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

First of all 20 pounds out of all you lost isn't that much. You can do it!

Congratulations on that new baby. You mentioned you are disabled. Are you able to walk? If so I bet the baby girl would enjoy a stroller ride and you could get some exercise. In the summer you will probably be most comfortable walking early in the morning before it gets too hot.

I'm also struggling with a little weight gain, and actually bought protein shakes at Costco. Haven't had one in 3 years. Had that for breakfast and it was good. Plus I'm making myself drink more water, I know that's something I don't do enough of.

Best of luck to you, we are all here to support each other.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey, Miss Belle!

I think you're doing everything so right. Good to hear how much better you're feeling. I bet you'll find when you have been back in the groove for a few days that your body / mind remembers everything and just loves it!

Welcome back.

Ann

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sam
    Surgeon
    Noonan
    Last Activity
    09-21-2017 04:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

I would love to be here for you for support and cheering you on. I won't kid myself that I can lose weight over the next week though. I believe in you though!!!!
    Congratulations on the grand child. We tend to put ourselves last when caring for and while being there for others, especially our children and grand children. Try to remember that you can't pour from an empty cup so do something every day to take care of you so that you can be your best self for those you love.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

You can do it Belle!! Sounds like you have a plan and jumped right back on that wagon! Great job!! And be proud of yourself for realizing it now and reclaiming your weight loss. Twenty pounds isn't too bad and you seem determined to do it!! Keep us posted!!