Surgeon
    Dr Adair
    Last Activity
    07-31-2018 02:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 47 Times

Unhappy How do you handle?

I had a co-worker tell me today that she is scared for me with this surgery. When I asked why she said because she has seen so many people who have failed with it (one of those being another co-worker of ours who eats whatever she wants) and that she sees people so sick from it. Then another co-worker chipped in and said "yeah, they are either pooping or puking". I work in a hospital that does the bariatric surgery so we know a lot of people that have had it. Some have failed and some have succeeded. I should also note that these two co-workers are skinny minnies who don't have to worry about being overweight. It's just frustrating to me and scares me a little when they say that stuff.

Has anyone else ever had this issue? If so, how do you handle it? I did tell them that I've seen the question posed many times on this forum as well as FB groups asking if anyone has regretted getting this surgery. Almost all people comment their only regret was that they did not get it sooner.

Thanks all...just need some encouraging words and had to vent a little.

Jenn

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How do you handle?

Two words:

Fuck. Them.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Name
    Jenn
    Surgery date
    11/08/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Adair
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    Two words:

Fuck. Them.
    LOVE THIS! lol

Thanks for making me laugh!

5. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Two words:

Fuck. Them.
    Go Ann! I guess you shouldn't have told them in the first place. But seeing you did, tell them about all the success stories you are reading on this site, all the people who lost all their weight and kept if off. All the people with zero complications, who have never puked (like me). Seriously, you choosing this surgery is none of their business.

Maybe say something like, "This is my decision, and I would appreciate your support."

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Jenn
    Surgery date
    11/08/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Adair
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Go Ann! I guess you shouldn't have told them in the first place. But seeing you did, tell them about all the success stories you are reading on this site, all the people who lost all their weight and kept if off. All the people with zero complications, who have never puked (like me). Seriously, you choosing this surgery is none of their business.

Maybe say something like, "This is my decision, and I would appreciate your support."
    Thank you, I wish I could have thought to say that right then! lol The only reason I did tell them is because they are my co-workers and I was going to be off for a couple of weeks. I guess I just never thought they would really think much into it. That's what I get for not really thinking about it.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Tommy1969's Avatar
    Name
    Tom
    Surgery date
    02/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tieu
    Last Activity
    06-07-2019 06:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 179 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times
    Blog Entries

Yeah!! F Them!! lol.

I am one of the WISH I DID IT SOONER PEOPLE!

I have not puked once. Sometimes I wish I could POOP more!!

You will do fine, just follow the plan and remember it is a new way of life but indeed a great one.

Best of luck

Original Weight - 479
    Day of Surgery - 459
    Month 1 - 438
    Month 2 - 418
    Month 3 - 409
    Month 6 - 389

11. Said thanks:

Surgeon
    Jacobi Hospital
    Last Activity
    07-07-2017 05:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hey there! Everyone is different so everyone will have a different experience. Do not get discouraged. You will go through a small amount of pain maybe the first day after surgery but the day after you just feels sore like you did a work out. As long as you listen and follow all of your surgeon and docs rules you will be fine. Take it day by day, at first you will think it is rough but i am 4 weeks down and its not bad. Time will fly and eventually you will get to work out and eat your healthy diet, and you will feel back to normal. Everything takes time. They are just talking crap, you are the only one who will know the experience not them. Wish you well and i hope it all turns out great for you!

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Bothsidesnow2017's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lahmann
    Last Activity
    05-13-2018 10:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

Gosh I just love Ann! You have the power to change your destiny. And I am 29 days post surgery and it has changed my life (for the good)
    I have a friend who had this surgery and she fell off the wagon at about 6 months. That's why you need to work through the why's of what brought you to this point. I am a binge eater. My work and having a special needs child (and the stress of that) were my triggers. So I have enlisted a therapist to help me sort this out so whenever the temptation returns I have the knowledge and tools to keep going on this journey. The sleeve is merely a tool to help us all get there.

You will always have negative Nancy's so as Ann says fuck them!!!
    J.

15. Said thanks:

Surgeon
    Jacobi Hospital
    Last Activity
    07-07-2017 05:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by bothsidesnow2017 View Post
    gosh i just love ann! You have the power to change your destiny. And i am 29 days post surgery and it has changed my life (for the good)
    i have a friend who had this surgery and she fell off the wagon at about 6 months. That's why you need to work through the why's of what brought you to this point. I am a binge eater. My work and having a special needs child (and the stress of that) were my triggers. So i have enlisted a therapist to help me sort this out so whenever the temptation returns i have the knowledge and tools to keep going on this journey. The sleeve is merely a tool to help us all get there.

You will always have negative nancy's so as ann says fuck them!!!

lol yea we are all different and different things work for different ppl. Good luck with your journey as well!

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Two words:

Fuck. Them.
    Ann, you beat me to it! LOL!

Jenn, you are you period. What other's did or do have nothing to do with you. Like Sraebaer said now that you have given your power away (in a way) you need to take it back. You can take it back, by telling them to stop patronizing you, and tell them about the countless success stories.

If you want lifelong success you have to adopt a lifestyle change and for me it means that I do not serve overload my plate just because I am able to eat more in volume... realizing that even though I do not eat processed carbs like bread and the like on a regular basis, I learned I am able to eat nuts, seeds, grains, vegetables, and fruits much much much easier than dense proteins like chicken or red meats. I have taught myself to eat my 3oz of dense protein first, I don't measure as much because I know what a 3oz of meat or chicken or fish looks like (think a deck of cards). If I am still hungry, most likely because I didn't chew properly, I will eat a few more bites of protein, I will eat a salad or veg or quinoa, brown rice or lentils, or beans. I try very hard to not let myself get that over stuffed feeling. My fear is that that overstuffed feeling is what leads to pouch stretching and worst the bulimia or compulsive eating dysfunctions.

The only time I had a throwing up feeling was when I had medication on an empty stomach (recently) and when I didn't follow the no water 30 min before or after meals early in my post op life.

I am very protective of my sleeve life and I would never allow a non-sleeved person tell me how to eat. Maybe only my daughters lol! I gave them permission to call me out if they ever see me eating too much junk food... and they have a few times lol!
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

18. Said thanks:

Name
    Jenn
    Surgery date
    11/08/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Adair
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Shirl View Post
    Ann, you beat me to it! LOL!

Jenn, you are you period. What other's did or do have nothing to do with you. Like Sraebaer said now that you have given your power away (in a way) you need to take it back. You can take it back, by telling them to stop patronizing you, and tell them about the countless success stories.

If you want lifelong success you have to adopt a lifestyle change and for me it means that I do not serve overload my plate just because I am able to eat more in volume... realizing that even though I do not eat processed carbs like bread and the like on a regular basis, I learned I am able to eat nuts, seeds, grains, vegetables, and fruits much much much easier than dense proteins like chicken or red meats. I have taught myself to eat my 3oz of dense protein first, I don't measure as much because I know what a 3oz of meat or chicken or fish looks like (think a deck of cards). If I am still hungry, most likely because I didn't chew properly, I will eat a few more bites of protein, I will eat a salad or veg or quinoa, brown rice or lentils, or beans. I try very hard to not let myself get that over stuffed feeling. My fear is that that overstuffed feeling is what leads to pouch stretching and worst the bulimia or compulsive eating dysfunctions.

The only time I had a throwing up feeling was when I had medication on an empty stomach (recently) and when I didn't follow the no water 30 min before or after meals early in my post op life.

I am very protective of my sleeve life and I would never allow a non-sleeved person tell me how to eat. Maybe only my daughters lol! I gave them permission to call me out if they ever see me eating too much junk food... and they have a few times lol!
    Haha, thank you everyone that has responded. This is why I posted here...I knew you would all give me that little kick to get past it. So glad I found this awesome forum!

Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm sure your concern-troll friends have heard of evidence-based practice if they work at a hospital that sees many bariatric surgery cases.

Here's some evidence they can sink their teeth into: the complication rate for a sleeve gastrectomy is less than 1 percent. Less than 1 out of 100 people who are sleeved will suffer major complications. It's a safer surgery than most out there.

Meanwhile, I bet they aren't concerned in the least bit if you remain obese, even though obesity is a bigger threat to your health than weight loss surgery.

Good luck to you...and these 'friends' do need to fuck off...

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

Only one person of significance said something like this to me. It was my wife. Her backstory is she has Crohn's so someone intentional and optionally having surgery to alter their stomach or intestines was just plain crazy. The other reason being that mentally I seemed like I would fail because of my upbringing. We grew up poor and were told to clean our plates and clear the food from the table-nothing goes to waste. I lived my life finishing my meals. Now, I have to consciously refrain from doing the same thing.

The sad part about all this is that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. It you are unhappy with something, you are usually vocal about it. Happy people just move on with people they are happy with. Everyone here, mostly, is very happy and stays within a group of other happy people. The unhappy express it everywhere. We as a group should also be more vocal outside of our little clichés to spread the good word and success stories we have had.

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/13/2017
    Surgeon
    carson liu
    Last Activity
    08-17-2018 12:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey their I had the same issue people were telling me to be careful because I won’t be able to hold food down. But all those comments were from people that have never been overweight. Some friends and family member that know me were happy for me because I was ready for a life change. My surgery was April 13 and I have lost a little over 42 Pounds I don't throw up, only once but it was because I over ate but besides that am good. Am still getting use to eating small portions before I used to eat 2 big plates lol.

25. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

And for the record, I have NEVER (not even once) thrown up since WLS. But I also didn't throw up easily pre-op.

And I lost 100 pounds pre- and post-op.

I weigh 135 pounds now and have weighed that for the last year and a half. Was at my primary care physician's yesterday (about a non-WLS issue), who said with considerable enthusiasm, "You have weighed exactly the same every time you've been here for the last year (I have seen him maybe 4 times in the last year). So ... yeah, that.

And also that thing I said earlier.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87