Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

Default I Hit A Stall

I can say I have hit a stall. It can happen at any time so I am not calling it a "3 month stall.' With that said, I am OK with it. I feel great. I look pretty good and my inches are coming off. Lost 84 lbs. I haven't gained any weight and have been stuck at 181 for a little while. I watch everything I eat, no snacks, and am sticking to my plan of no sugar, next to nothing carbs, and very low fat. I am working out, eating 500 calories a day (if I am lucky) and drinking water. I admit, I need to drink A LOT more water but it's still not easy for me. (Whereas I can suck down 8 oz of DIET ocean spary cran pineapple in minutes with NO problems.)

I figure when my body is ready to start dropping pounds again, it will happen. I am enjoying what I have transformed into for the time being.

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Eileen
    Surgery date
    05/31/2017
    Surgeon
    Antoinette
    Last Activity
    06-20-2017 08:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I Hit A Stall

I would think you need more calories and protein. I drink the Premiere shakes. They have cho., van, banana, strawberry. My favorite is choc. I know from past low carb diet efforts, the doctor told me the more protein I eat the more weight I would lose. You look great.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

Lori, I would think you need more calories too. Consult with a nutritionist but my first thoughts are you need more energy/fuel to operate your machine properly. I think my 2.5/3 month time frame I was at 800-900 calories a day, all protein. Don't wait to long, you could damage your metabolism if your body adjusts to low.

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

You're doing great at losing weight. But losing weight isn't the whole scene. You still have to maintain your weight when you reach your goal.

So eat more. Seriously. Eat more nutritious stuff.

My surgeon's practice urged me to get up to 1,000 calories after Month 4 and up to 1,200 calories after month 6. Their reasoning was that you don't want to teach your body to survive on too few calories.

I'm maintaining now at 1700 - 1750 calories/day. Not 1200. Not 1000.

I do yoga, aquarobics and walk. And mow a lot of grass in the summertime and clean house. But I'm not a gym rat, nor do I run (I have 71-year-old knees).

Right or wrong (everyone has to find what works for them), that would be my suggestion.

Very best wishes!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Thanks ladies and gentleman, If I could eat more, believe me I WOULD. Every day I try my damnedest to get more in my stomach and I can't. I eat proteins (lean meat, fish, eggs) and I rarely have room for the veggies I steam to go with them. Today at lunch I actually ate 1 hard boiled egg (cut up) and 2 oz of tuna with a little chopped lettuce and as it happens at every meal... it feels like I have swallowed an entire turkey after just 3 or 4 oz. and I have to stop eating or I'll be puking everywhere.

I drink my premier protein drinks every day still, sometimes 2 of them and I usually hit 70-90g of protein a day, but the calories just don't go UP by the end of the day. I haven't eaten JUNK food, sweets, breads or anything from my 'old life', and really do try every day to 'try and get a little more fuel in me'.

I have drank almost 48 oz of water today alone (THAT'S A FIRST) in addition to my 11 oz. protein drink this morning. But when it comes to eating FOOD, it's as if my stomach is only allowing in 1/5 cups, tops... and closes off the lid.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Have to agree with all the others...you need to eat more by now. I know that when I stall I actually am at the point where I need to up my calories/protein. No joke. As avid dieters....it seems counterintuitive to us...but it is true!! Try to consume more. If you are feeling full super fast....try adding a protein shake. Easiest way to add calories and protein.

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post
    Have to agree with all the others...you need to eat more by now. I know that when I stall I actually am at the point where I need to up my calories/protein. No joke. As avid dieters....it seems counterintuitive to us...but it is true!! Try to consume more. If you are feeling full super fast....try adding a protein shake. Easiest way to add calories and protein.
    That is what I HAVE been doing. Adding my shake because I have that FULL feeling SO damn fast. But last night at dinner, I did eat 1 entire egg (omelette) with a slice of cheddar cheese in it and had to mentally say to myself through the entire meal "it's OK, you can do this and you CAN eat this." I came to this realization about a month ago and am revisiting it again, but I think I am SO fearful of getting FAT again that my brain is making myself 'lock down' the door to my stomach. Even the pain I begin to feel might be psychosomatic. I am no shrink, but what that nutritionist and surgeon ranted about for the months before and after surgery, did a number on me. (Measure everything the rest of your life; no lean proteins over 2 oz per meal; no breads, rice, pasta (in their opinion....ever); no snacking; exercise everyday; no outside support groups; and even no protein shakes.

I have no problems with not snacking, although I do eat a few almonds several times a week. I exercise close to 5 days a week. I have avoided fats and carbs like grim death which I feel deep down I should be able to have once in a while. And to hell with them about 'outside support groups'!

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DesertGal View Post
    Measure everything the rest of your life; no lean proteins over 2 oz per meal; no breads, rice, pasta (in their opinion....ever); no snacking; exercise everyday; no outside support groups; and even no protein shakes.
    I do measure almost everything.

I never, ever heard "no lean proteins over 2 oz. per meal." Hell, I was eating 3 ounces at 4 months post-op. I typically eat 3 ounces, and 4 ounces is probably my max.

I was eating bread (whole wheat only) by Month Two post-op. Still do. Don't pig out on it. I just had a turkey/cheese/tomato sandwich for lunch with Sara Lee 45-calorie/slice whole wheat bread. FYI, the turkey was 2.1 ounces, and the cheese was 1.1 ounces. I do avoid white bread. When rice is on the menu, I prefer brown rice by far.
    Tastes so much better.

Tonight for dinner I'm violating the whole grains rule and making black truffle/mushroom/asparagus risotto and will serve it with grilled chicken. Sounds good, eh?

I do NOT snack. Yeah, that's a GREAT rule. Really great rule.

Likewise, I exercise 5 days a week and mow and/or clean house the other 2 days. Good rule to exercise a lot and be very active.

At nearly 3 years out, I have a protein shake almost every morning for breakfast. Depending on the brand, that's 25-30 grams of protein. My daily protein grams total around 100 grams these days. It comes mostly from meat, shakes, and dairy, with some protein even found in veggies and veggies and (believe it or not) 6 grams of protein for 2 slices of whole grain bread (and stuff like that).

You're going to get through this food-phobic phase. Just edge into it slowly. You'll be fine.

M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    I do measure almost everything.

I never, ever heard "no lean proteins over 2 oz. per meal." Hell, I was eating 3 ounces at 4 months post-op. I typically eat 3 ounces, and 4 ounces is probably my max.

I was eating bread (whole wheat only) by Month Two post-op. Still do. Don't pig out on it. I just had a turkey/cheese/tomato sandwich for lunch with Sara Lee 45-calorie/slice whole wheat bread. FYI, the turkey was 2.1 ounces, and the cheese was 1.1 ounces. I do avoid white bread. When rice is on the menu, I prefer brown rice by far.
    Tastes so much better.

Tonight for dinner I'm violating the whole grains rule and making black truffle/mushroom/asparagus risotto and will serve it with grilled chicken. Sounds good, eh?

I do NOT snack. Yeah, that's a GREAT rule. Really great rule.

Likewise, I exercise 5 days a week and mow and/or clean house the other 2 days. Good rule to exercise a lot and be very active.

At nearly 3 years out, I have a protein shake almost every morning for breakfast. Depending on the brand, that's 25-30 grams of protein. My daily protein grams total around 100 grams these days. It comes mostly from meat, shakes, and dairy, with some protein even found in veggies and veggies and (believe it or not) 6 grams of protein for 2 slices of whole grain bread (and stuff like that).

You're going to get through this food-phobic phase. Just edge into it slowly. You'll be fine.
    Thank You Ann2! I KNEW 2 oz of meat was ridiculous. I could see it before my surgery on the pre op weight managed diet, as I did stick to that for the solid 3 months, but now, I think I need more PROTEIN from meat. I am going forward with the insight to eat an ounce more of meat (or protein) per meal per day, and with the knowledge that i know it won't kill me.

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member TarotAces's Avatar
    Name
    Odessa
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-04-2020 11:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 527 Times
    Was Thanked 83 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks ladies and gentleman, If I could eat more, believe me I WOULD. Every day I try my damnedest to get more in my stomach and I can't. I eat proteins (lean meat, fish, eggs) and I rarely have room for the veggies I steam to go with them. Today at lunch I actually ate 1 hard boiled egg (cut up) and 2 oz of tuna with a little chopped lettuce and as it happens at every meal... it feels like I have swallowed an entire turkey after just 3 or 4 oz. and I have to stop eating or I'll be puking everywhere.

I drink my premier protein drinks every day still, sometimes 2 of them and I usually hit 70-90g of protein a day, but the calories just don't go UP by the end of the day. I haven't eaten JUNK food, sweets, breads or anything from my 'old life', and really do try every day to 'try and get a little more fuel in me'.

I have drank almost 48 oz of water today alone (THAT'S A FIRST) in addition to my 11 oz. protein drink this morning. But when it comes to eating FOOD, it's as if my stomach is only allowing in 1/5 cups, tops... and closes off the lid.
    The water thing is definitely a struggle, and I understand it well. I still have trouble most days and I KNOW that's why my weight loss is going soo much more slowly these past 2 months. I have heard that drinking from a straw can help, yes I know we're told not to in order to avoid swallowing too much air but at this point I'm willing to try it.

I was having almost identical issues getting enough food down and here's what worked for me. I started to chew each bite into it's MOST broken down form possible, and made myself wait a two minutes between swallowing bites. It worked. I have been able to shorten the time frame a bit and still eat more recently; I am down to about a minute/minute and a half between swallowing. I really feel like this saved my mental state as not being CAPABLE of eating was starting to really wear me down.
    HW: 297+lbs ( stopped weighing myself, it was probably 318 ish)
    Pre-op: 280 lbs (-17 lbs)

CW: 142 lbs -Down 178 lbs from my highest actual weight!

Week 1: 270
    M1: 257
    Week 6: 255
    M2: 252
    Week 10: 241
    M3: 237
    Week 14: 234

GW: 145 lbs

Gastric Sleeve Member Pattimelt's Avatar
    Name
    Patti
    Surgery date
    04/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-02-2018 09:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,988 Times
    Was Thanked 142 Times in 110 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 232 Times

Lori, you look so great! Here's hoping your stall ends as soon as possible!
    It's never too late to be what you might have been . . .

21. Said thanks:

Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pattimelt View Post
    Lori, you look so great! Here's hoping your stall ends as soon as possible!
    Thank you my friend! I agree... I know I need more calories going in and am working on it. I ate 1 piece of wheat bread (toast) for dinner last night with my over easy egg and it was heaven. I tried my hardest to get in another egg but no cigar. Not even close on trying to eat another piece of toast. It was one of each only. First time I have had bread in--- I Don't know when. Many months.

Tonight I am having refried beans. Real refried beans from a mexican restaurant. (I think I have earned it.) Probably won't be able to consume more than 3/4 cup but I am giving it shot none the less.

23. Said thanks:

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post

Ann, I have substituted quinoa for arborio rice for my risotto and it was Yummi!!! I used a bit less broth, and added white wine with and cultured ghee (clarified butter).

Lori, have you tried making your own protein power shakes? I'd blend overnight soaked oat recipe, yogurt, peanut butter protein powder, frozen banana, milk, and for good measure a scoop of vanilla Tera's Whey protein powder. These were my meal replacements preop.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

25. Said thanks:

Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shirl View Post
    Ann, I have substituted quinoa for arborio rice for my risotto and it was Yummi!!! I used a bit less broth, and added white wine with and cultured ghee (clarified butter).

Lori, have you tried making your own protein power shakes? I'd blend overnight soaked oat recipe, yogurt, peanut butter protein powder, frozen banana, milk, and for good measure a scoop of vanilla Tera's Whey protein powder. These were my meal replacements preop.
    I haven't tried anything that sounds THIS tasty, but I am willing to give it a try. I have a couple of different vanilla whey protein mixes here and added some things to them, but they were horrible tasting and now they sit in my laundry room on the counter.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Blog Entries

I haven't tried anything that sounds THIS tasty, but I am willing to give it a try. I have a couple of different vanilla whey protein mixes here and added some things to them, but they were horrible tasting and now they sit in my laundry room on the counter.
    Remember that I'm 3 years post-op and long into maintenance. I wouldn't have cooked risotto and eaten it when I was in the weight losing phases. Although I might have had a single bite off hubby's plate in a restaurant if he'd ordered that. Seriously, I was very compliant until I hit my first goal (150 pounds).

There are sooo many phases (what you eat, how you rearrange your brain, habits, attitudes, etc.) while you're on this journey. I think you're doing great. Be watchful, find out what your body thrives on, what makes you lose (and later maintain), and you will be just fine. Sounds goofily simple. Just don't start using food again as a drug for your feels. That is the path to perdition.

M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89