Dr. Luis Pasten
    Last Activity
    04-24-2019 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 63 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 39 Times

Default Re: Telling people about having surgery

Quote Originally Posted by Cherbear0416 View Post
    I have only told my husband and one of my sisters. It is such a personal decision! Like you, I do not have over a 100 lbs to loose. How are you feeling post op? Have you made the decision to share your story with anyone now that you have had your surgery? I have about 30 days until I travel to MX for mine. I'm both nervous and excited. Worried about questions post op that I don't want to answer.
    I have been telling people because I am all about being authentic. I will be telling my mother and sister when I visit next month.

I am starting on mushy foods finally; it was really tough but I started probiotics and that has been helping me. I am losing weight and exercising while taking care of my skin so I do not sag. So far so good. I am not hungry so I make sure I get my protein shakes in and drink plenty water.

Good luck with your surgery. I kept a log of my questions so I could ask my doctor when I initially met with him. I felt much better and was able to enjoy the experience.

Cheers,

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sam
    Surgeon
    Noonan
    Last Activity
    09-21-2017 04:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

I agree with being authentic, although being private is not necessarily a bad thing, and not deceptive. I feel that if I'm going to do it, I'm ok with telling people. To me, not being honest in some way means that I'm ashamed or embarrassed and I try not to let anything in life put me in that frame of mind. I am so happy tup be a part of this group.

Surgery date
    07/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-13-2023 05:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 77 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

I'm going to weigh in as both my Mother, sister and I all sleeved and all went through this choice over the last 4 years.
    DON"T TELL ANYONE !!! Except your closed family member. Spouse , Ect. I would only Tell the 1 family member that will help you recover.
    Family will try and talk you out of it and say you don't need it.
    Everyone Else in the world that you think will support you or will be helped by seeing your journey and results will Think you "Cheated" or took the easy way out. My mother told a few over weight people hoping it would encourage them to have the surgery.. It usually doesn't . She even regretted telling her brother.

You can't untell people and once you tell someone they ALWAYS tell someone else ... Telling your obese friend at work thinking you are helping her will usually lead to jealousy and her telling 1-2 people at the office that you had surgery and within weeks everyone knows and it just waiting for you to gain the weight back and fail.

Sorry for the truth. It sucks.. JUST DON"T TELL.

When People ask about your weight loss . don't lie just say your focusing eating under 1,000 calories a day slowly increasing your exercise.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Sam
    Surgeon
    Noonan
    Last Activity
    09-21-2017 04:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing your opinion PokerGuy. I guess, I either, have a different group of family, friends, and co-workers, or I just don't give a damn what they think. They can KMA to be honest. LOL. People are going to talk regardless, I would rather be honest and let them sit back and watch, wish, hope I fail or succeed. What they think is not my problem. I prefer honesty, personally. At least then, they can't be trying to find out 'the real story'. It's already out there.
    I have a great support system... to my face.. If they are different behind my back that is the best place for it. I can be a real B when pushed or treated badly so...

Gastric Sleeve Member Emmeraldas's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Evelyn
    Surgery date
    10/07/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bestoun H. Ahmed, MD
    Last Activity
    07-26-2017 08:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

Hello! I have not been on in a while so sorry to be late to the party here. I had my surgery in October and there are people I have not told. I don't want my picture on Facebook yet. This is a very personal decision to make and from being a health care provider I have witnessed some people's reactions to folks having had this type of surgery. Overall I have seen more negative responses that supportive responses. I decided to be very selective in who I allowed to know what I decided to do. To be honest but not trying to sound mean...it isn't anybody's business. If you have decided this surgery will help you then go for it. Good Luck with your journey!

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

This is one of the biggest decisions / issues for folks who are about to have WLS.

What's right is what's right for you. And what's right for you isn't automatically right for others.

So how do you know what's right for you? It's the decision that makes you feel the most comfortable and the safest. Period.

That is all.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    08-14-2017 12:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hi, Shaaz, I appreciate your choice and I think you are a very strong lady. You tried in diet and exercise then also if you didn’t get any success then you select the perfect option for weight loss. Before my uncle so worried about his heavy weight so did the weight loss surgery in “metabolic surgery Istanbul” and now he is perfectly all right.So always think by which method you can lose your weight and do that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234