Surgeon
    Dr. Weiss
    Last Activity
    01-08-2018 01:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Restaurants - a challenge and suprise

Well 4 months post op and with summer and all the added travels and activities have increased the frequency of eating out in restaurants. I have found it to be a little challenging to tell the truth. Trying to find menu items that don't include bread (bun) or pasta or tons of sugar is difficult. Also side dishes suck. I try to focus on the proteins but most of these restaurants have loaded up sides, loaded up with tons of calories and sugar. For instance we stopped at the Texas Roadhouse, I picked the 8 oz sirloin (still too big should have got the 6 oz) but then its pick 2 sides, I got green beans and mashed potato which I gave to another diner, also avoided the dinner rolls all together. I ate 2/3 of steak and few beans, and was stuffed, uncomfortably full.

Then the waitress seeing how little I ate asked if everything was ok half-dozen times. Its bit odd still trying to find something small and then still not eating it all. Then the staff act like you must have hated it cause didn't eat it. I feel like I am doing ok with the mental side of things but having to explain to people why I just don't eat much is something I still struggle with.

Also now I realize just how much food and how big the portion sizes in most restaurants are. seeing huge plates of pasta and appetizers pass by the table and seeing 24 oz steaks with sides and bread disappear with the other diners at the table, really brings home just how much I used to eat. My friends will want to go to the buffet place when I visit and I just cant imagine eating my few bites and then watching them stuff it in for 30 mins or more. A buffet is a huge waste of money for me but I don't want to be a PITA or unsociable so I will go and just deal with it.

Speaking of money, the dinner check is much smaller thats for sure, with no drinks, beer, or huge meals.
    HW - 355
    SW - 342
    PreOp - 324
    2 week Post - 301
    1 Month Post - 295
    2 Month Post - 282
    3 Month Post - 277
    6 Month Post - 261
    1 year -

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Restaurants - a challenge and suprise

Servings are huge in the US and Australia, no doubts. Usually when the waitress ask if everything is OK, I say yes and I ask directly for a box so she won't ask again. She gets I like the food but I'm not hungry. Buffet is a big waste of money but then nobody is checking what you eat...

Portions are much smaller in Asia and Europe, and in Europe it's not yet everywhere that you can ask for a box, so usually I would take an healthy appetizer or share something with my kids/friends or even ask a kid's portion saying my diet requires small amount of food...nobody ask anything...they figure "diet".

We do save money on food, no doubts, but I try to focus even more on quality so at the end I'm not sure it's really cheaper. But for sure it's healthier!
    And wait until you have to buy a new wardrobe! that will be lots of fun to get it but not really cheap!
    But our health has no price tag right?
    Take care!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Don't worry, you will find most restaurants do accomodate your special requests. In the beginning, if we were planning to go out I look up restaurant's menu first.

My kids love going out to all you can eat Korean BBQ and Sushi type places, and I just have to come out to the hostess and ask if I can pay child's price! and they pretty much have honored my request! The only place that has not believed me was Sizzler once a long time ago probably when I still looked fatish. LOL!

To be honest, I have never been asked if I am ok by restaurant staff, if I am out it is with my kids and my life partner, and we just let waitstaff know that I am sharing, it has never been a problem (except for Sizzler again, that person was just bitter or something!). I have accompanied my partner to many business meetings and I used to be worried that folks would ask me about not eating, but they weren't concerened with me at all!

I always order grilled salmon or chicken and steamed spinach or a baked sweet potato, and if it is not on the menu they will offer some substitute.

At Chinese restaurants I will have the Mongolian Beef and brown rice, and ask them to take it easy on the sauce.

Again, keep choosing healthier options it gets easier in terms of what you can eat at home or when you are out. The biggest problem for me has always been that my kids or who ever I am out with will order fried food (exept my life partner, he is a health freak!) and I just cannot resist taking a fry or two.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sam
    Surgeon
    Noonan
    Last Activity
    09-21-2017 04:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

I had heard or read somewhere that the Dr can give you some type of card that you can present so they will let you order from the children's menu since the portions are alot smaller????
    Although kid's menus tend to be carb loaded.

Surgery date
    07/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-05-2018 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 285 Times
    Was Thanked 245 Times in 196 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 567 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sammih View Post
    I had heard or read somewhere that the Dr can give you some type of card that you can present so they will let you order from the children's menu since the portions are alot smaller????
    Although kid's menus tend to be carb loaded.
    My surgeon offers a card that you can show to restaurants for the "kids" menu. I am with you though... it is usually carb loaded and not a lot of variety.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Yup. Eating out in some restaurants is harder than others. I often look for grilled shrimp, fish, or chicken when I eat out. Then I usually pick green beans, spinach, broccoli, or corn. While I know that corn is not ideal, it is better than some alternatives. And truth be told, at 7 months out I am still not eating enough of the sides to worry. I also avoid the appetizers and rolls. I have no issues asking for a to go box. If they keep asking if my meal was ok I just let them know that I recently had surgery and my stomach is a little upset. That usually shuts them up. I don't offer up the kind of surgery. But I have started to have a much easier time now navigating the menu. Today we did go to lunch and it was the first time in ages that there was not much on the menu for me. I opted on grilled beef fajitas. And they were disappointing to say the least. I had not issues just eating some meat and veggies and stopping. Took the rest home. End of story. Sometimes my hubby will get a bigger meal and I will nibble off of that and we add some sides for me.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Haven't been to a buffet in almost 4 years, that would be a ridiculous waste of money. Only once did the server ask if everything was OK because she saw how little I ate. Now I usually order by starting out with "I'm not that hungry, I'll just have the ____." Typically it's an appetizer, my favorite is the ahi tuna. Or a small side salad topped with chicken. Or grilled shrimp. Any fish. Probably the higher quality restaurant you go to the better the options. I love it when hubby will share, but after all these years I guess he's sick of it.

Sometimes I don't make the bariatric choice, if we go out for pizza I will have one piece. I'm not on a diet, this is my new life. And life without pizza isn't living in my opinion!