Surgeon
    Dr. Toby Broussard
    Last Activity
    06-09-2017 02:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default only able to eat 5 small bites, per meal

Hi! I am 4 weeks out from Gastric Sleeve. Please tell me the eating issues get better! I am unable to eat more than 4-5 very small (pinto bean size) bites, each meal. I am listening to my body, and my full triggers. I sometimes get very frustrated to think that I will never be able to enjoy food again. I understand that food was probably my addiction, and this is all psychological, and I need to learn to look at food for energy, and not pleasure. However, I would like to think there will be a day that I can eat at least 1/4-1/2 of a chicken breast, instead of a few lousy bites LOL Sometimes I think "what have I done?" But then I get on the scale, or try on pants that are several sizes smaller, and I am happy there. It is such a mental strugle right now!

I would also like to connect with people that have had the sleeve, and their surgeon has told them that they can have ZERO carbs (besides the very few you get from certain foods), from here one out. I am on board with that, so I am not interested in anyone telling me that I can have carbs, I just want to connect with people that are following that type of lifestyle food diet.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-05-2018 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 285 Times
    Was Thanked 245 Times in 196 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 567 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: only able to eat 5 small bites, per meal

Welcome to the site! You are in the right place for amazing support and a wealth of information and experience from countless others traveling along the same journey. Everyone here is fantastic!! As you move forward, be sure to post your experiences so you can help others too. From everything I have read, it does get better. Please let me know how you deal with the mental struggle as I know I will be right there with you.

Here's wishing you MUCH SUCCESS (hugs)

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    BLANCA Z
    Surgery date
    05/13/2017
    Surgeon
    DR MICHAEL SEDREK
    Last Activity
    02-20-2018 02:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 125 Times

Hello there im also going to be 4 weeks post ops tomorrow actually and I totally understand you im going thru the same
    I really do hope it gets better I have a cousin that also did the sleeve and he say's it does get better when I have no clue.
    I been trying soft food I didn't do puree food just because I think it weird to blend chicken and meat .

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your decision to take your health back into your own hands.

Here is a post that might be helpful to you as what you are experiencing is very common among newly sleeved folks and take everything with grain of salt and use your best judgment to take what resonates with you and leave the rest https://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/...t=65003&page=2

Best of wishes for a successful Weight Loss Surgery (WLS) journey.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    02-22-2024 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Was Thanked 771 Times in 544 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times
    Blog Entries

wait a year, then get back to us on the amount you can eat! LOL. you'll be able to eat more as time goes by. So much more that you'll yearn for these days back!

My doctor didn't tell me about avoiding carbs, but I first heard about it on here, and have tried to keep the carbs as low as I can. When you start tracking the food you eat, you'll see that just a little bit of some foods add big carb grams. (and don't forget that some drinks have carbs, too).

of course there's the obvious stuff: bread, rice, pasta, potatoes and cookies, cakes, candy, etc. Essentially, eat meat (without sauces or marinades) and veggies that grow ABOVE the ground (spinach, lettuce, asparagus, broccoli, etc) Veggies that grow below the ground have more natural starch and sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by katchat3333 View Post
    Hi! I am 4 weeks out from Gastric Sleeve. Please tell me the eating issues get better! I am unable to eat more than 4-5 very small (pinto bean size) bites, each meal. I am listening to my body, and my full triggers. I sometimes get very frustrated to think that I will never be able to enjoy food again. I understand that food was probably my addiction, and this is all psychological, and I need to learn to look at food for energy, and not pleasure. However, I would like to think there will be a day that I can eat at least 1/4-1/2 of a chicken breast, instead of a few lousy bites LOL Sometimes I think "what have I done?" But then I get on the scale, or try on pants that are several sizes smaller, and I am happy there. It is such a mental strugle right now!

I would also like to connect with people that have had the sleeve, and their surgeon has told them that they can have ZERO carbs (besides the very few you get from certain foods), from here one out. I am on board with that, so I am not interested in anyone telling me that I can have carbs, I just want to connect with people that are following that type of lifestyle food diet.

HW: 275
    PreOp: 268 5/12/16

SW: 258. 5/27/2016
    10 w: 225. Goal 1
    12 w: 222.
    14 w: 216.
    4 m: 215
    5 m: 205
    22: 199.4 10/30 Goal 2
    24: 196
    6 mo: 191
    7 m: 193
    8 m: 184
    9 m: 180 2/3/17. Goal 3
    10 m: 179
    11 m: 171
    48: 170
    1 yr: 166.6. 5/27/17
    13 m: 165.8
    5 y,10 m: 215
    7 yrs: 230

Revised Goal : 200
    "Bonus" Goal: 180

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    09/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-07-2018 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times
    Blog Entries

I am 8 months post op, and let me tell you, I can eat now :-) I just had a half of an in-n-out hamburger :-) Goodness was it sooo good :-) I can eat pretty much anything...small portions, (more than 4-5 small bites), food is still so good to me :-) But I listen to my body and stop when it is full. I also asked myself "what did you do?"....but now that I am down 65 lbs, and in size 4/6 pants, and size medium shirts...I AM SO HAPPY THAT I DID THIS :-) Keep going, follow the rules, and all well be fine in no time.

Good luck!!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

You will totally be able to enjoy food again! Promise! Four weeks your tummy is still healing from major surgery. You probably won't be cleared for all foods for at least 2 more weeks. Then there will be more adjustment, you probably won't be able to just sit down and try to eat some chicken. (I did, and it didn't feel very good!!). Early on you will find what foods agree with you and what foods don't. (Different for everyone; I loved eggs as soon as I was cleared to eat them, other people can't tolerate eggs.) But if you're like me, after a while you can eat anything without any problems.

Now at almost 4 years out I feel no different than before and enjoy food probably more than I used to. I'm into quality not quantity. The only difference between now and then is I am totally satisfied on less food. Oh, and the other difference is I am a regular sized person rather than an obese one. OK, I"m way happier too and am totally enjoying life!

Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

I am 11 weeks out and still can't get in more than 1/4 cup of food per meal. I'm not complaining, as I have lost 84 pounds to date, but I do GET FULL after just a handful of small bites. With no warning... just BOOM, I need to walk away from the table.

My surgeon and nutritionist (who I am not thrilled with) are against CARBS of any sort, against sugar and insist if a sugar substitute has to be used, it is Stevia (I drink water), are against online support groups, and expect you to work out everyday with no excuses (I do exercise daily so I am safe there ), and SO many other things that I find cRaZy! The surgeon's sister who is the office manager told us in a group meeting that she can't understand people who go on vacations (cruises, etc...) and want "to eat." This is how her lecture went: "Why go on vacation to eat? You're there to get away, and all people want to do is eat? Why?" If I had to guess that answer lady, it'd be because THEY ARE ON VACATION and want to enjoy being served, instead of cooking. She could have said eat wisely- but didn't- and was adamant that you DON'T eat what is served.

Anyway, I keep being told it goes get better with the amount you can eat. I'm hoping that's true.

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertGal View Post
    I am 11 weeks out and still can't get in more than 1/4 cup of food per meal. I'm not complaining, as I have lost 84 pounds to date, but I do GET FULL after just a handful of small bites. With no warning... just BOOM, I need to walk away from the table.

My surgeon and nutritionist (who I am not thrilled with) are against CARBS of any sort, against sugar and insist if a sugar substitute has to be used, it is Stevia (I drink water), are against online support groups, and expect you to work out everyday with no excuses (I do exercise daily so I am safe there ), and SO many other things that I find cRaZy! The surgeon's sister who is the office manager told us in a group meeting that she can't understand people who go on vacations (cruises, etc...) and want "to eat." This is how her lecture went: "Why go on vacation to eat? You're there to get away, and all people want to do is eat? Why?" If I had to guess that answer lady, it'd be because THEY ARE ON VACATION and want to enjoy being served, instead of cooking. She could have said eat wisely- but didn't- and was adamant that you DON'T eat what is served.

Anyway, I keep being told it goes get better with the amount you can eat. I'm hoping that's true.
    Your surgeon and nutritionist sound a little nuts.

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

I think some people just lose their ability to reason.

And don't get me started on bariatric nutritionists! In my experience, they are the dingbats of the bariatric world.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I follow a low carb lifestyle as that is what my nut/surgeon discussed with me from day one. As they told me, your restriction only allows for so much food and you should be eating protein and veggies. I don't count my carbs or anything like that but make good choices. I do not count milk carbs, though. I start every day with a venti nonfat latte from Starbucks. It is my happy time. Granted it takes a while to drink it down so I get to enjoy it longer than I used to. LOL. You will eventually be able to eat more. You are only a month out. It took me several months before I was hitting protein and fluid goals consistently. You will enjoy food again. I know I do. Just a lot less of it. I do still have a lot of restriction. I have to eat slow and chew very, very well. I am sure I will be able to eat more at a year and a year and a half as I can eat a lot more now then I could a month out. I do not miss thinking about food constantly. I eat when I am hungry and make sure it is nutritious to give my body the nutrients it needs. I always have pork rinds, nuts, jerky, and high protein/low carb bars at my desk for when I do need a pick me up.

Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Your surgeon and nutritionist sound a little nuts.
    MORE than a little nuts! I am done with them. From having to pay $500. for "a program" that I wasn't informed about until a week and half before surgery-- or I couldn't HAVE surgery- to finding out that 'the program' scam entails that "you can buy protein drinks through them" (And they charge $1- $2.00 more than GNC does for drinks.) That was the frosting on the cake... in addition to the horrible support group meeting I attended end of May. I was made to feel like a complete idiot when I asked a question, and answered a question they asked about 'any issues you're having.'

My husband asked them on the phone, when he called and asked where was our refund we were do back, and that their response regarding this $500. non refundable add on charge was the 'getting drinks through' them. He then told them they were scamming patients. Our insurance company had NO knowledge of this either.

I was told so much malarkey by them, that my brain is still in a knotted mess because of all the things they told me.

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    I think some people just lose their ability to reason.

And don't get me started on bariatric nutritionists! In my experience, they are the dingbats of the bariatric world.
    My nut is a 100 pound 20 something, somehow we just can't relate. (I remember her telling me she tried the pre-op diet and wasn't hungry at all. Really, do you eat?) How could she possibly understand what I was going through? I would so more prefer someone like us teaching these classes, someone who has been there and done that, someone who started obese and ended normal. To me it's like this couple at church who were on their 2nd and 3rd marriages offering a Healthy Marriage class.

Ohh, maybe an idea for retirement!

20. Said thanks: