Surgeon
    Emil Graf
    Last Activity
    09-10-2017 02:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Unhappy Well that was a new nausea experience

So I was woken up at 2am (30 minutes ago) by my nausea today. Usually it's in the mornings, which technically this still is.

I was having a gross dream, I don't remember the specifics or why it was gross, but I woke up already salivating, feeling nauseated.

So my nausea has been a chronic problem, even before my surgery. Surgery hadn't really made it worse, since my stomach isn't as big it's actually better. I'm on nexium 40mg two times a day, pepcid ac before bedtime, plus I take a zofran when I get up, and sometimes before bed. Last night I hadn't taken a zofran before bed because I felt fine.

I'm 5 weeks, almost 6 weeks out at this point, and the nausea occurs once, sometimes twice a week, never after meals, always in the morning, other than this time when it woke me up.

Oh, nice. Now that I've vomited (sort of, I had an empty stomach), taken a zofran, and started writing this, I have the hiccups. Lovely.

Ugh. I think I'm going to start taking carafate again, that helped my nausea at some point before my surgery. It's just a pain because it's a liquid you take before meals, and it takes more planning and my life has been filled with timing everything I put in my mouth lately and this will just be one more thing.

I'm so tired and frustrated.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Brad Watkins
    Last Activity
    01-06-2021 03:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 160 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 149 Times

Default Re: Well that was a new nausea experience

I've struggled with nausea both before and after my surgery. And let me say, trying to drink a protein shake when you are nauseated is no fun! LOL
    I've taken Zofran before, but I find the Phenergan works much better for me. Although, some doctors don't like to prescribe it, as it can be habit-forming. But, you may want to see if your doctor thinks it will work for you.
    Hang in there and I hope you can find relief soon! Definitely no fun...

Surgery date
    04/17/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bertha
    Last Activity
    08-28-2018 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 102 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times

I'm 6 weeks out and get nauseated more than I used to (which was never). How long were you told to stay on nexium? I was told 2 months, but on the days that I forget... it hurts.

I hope you feel better!

Highest weight: 257
    Starting weight: 252.4
    Month 1: -20 (232.4)
    Month 2: -9.4 (223)
    Month 3: -11 (212)
    Month 4: -11.6 (200.4)
    Month 5: -8 (192.4)
    Month 6: -7.6 (185.8)
    Month 7: -5.2 (180.2)
    Month 8: -5.4 (174.8)
    Month 9: -3.8 (171)
    Month 10: -5 (166)
    Month 11: -3.4 (162.6)
    ONE YEAR: -1.4 (161.2) Total loss: 95.8 pounds!
    Month 13: -3 (158.2)

Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

The only nausea and vomiting I had was coming out of surgery and it lasted nearly non stop the first 36-48 hours then stopped. (KNock wood).
    My doctor gave me a prescription to take the Famotidine 20mg for 3 months, then I can stop. I never had acid reflux before surgery, even though he repaired a very large hiatal hernia he found during surgery. Every day around 3 pm- for what ever reason- I get a weird sensation/feeling just below my throat and I assume it's related to reflux (there is no burning though) and I take my famotidine then. I haven't eaten anything ror to this so not sure what makes it start. No problems after taking the pill.

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Are you taking any vitamins at night? That could be the culprit. When I was taking multi vitamins in pill form it would give me nausea.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cgprincess View Post
    So I was woken up at 2am (30 minutes ago) by my nausea today. Usually it's in the mornings, which technically this still is.

I was having a gross dream, I don't remember the specifics or why it was gross, but I woke up already salivating, feeling nauseated.

So my nausea has been a chronic problem, even before my surgery. Surgery hadn't really made it worse, since my stomach isn't as big it's actually better. I'm on nexium 40mg two times a day, pepcid ac before bedtime, plus I take a zofran when I get up, and sometimes before bed. Last night I hadn't taken a zofran before bed because I felt fine.

I'm 5 weeks, almost 6 weeks out at this point, and the nausea occurs once, sometimes twice a week, never after meals, always in the morning, other than this time when it woke me up.

Oh, nice. Now that I've vomited (sort of, I had an empty stomach), taken a zofran, and started writing this, I have the hiccups. Lovely.

Ugh. I think I'm going to start taking carafate again, that helped my nausea at some point before my surgery. It's just a pain because it's a liquid you take before meals, and it takes more planning and my life has been filled with timing everything I put in my mouth lately and this will just be one more thing.

I'm so tired and frustrated.
    So sorry this is ongoing issue for you.

I had a scare similar to your about 3 days post op and since I had never experienced acid reflux in that severity I called my 24/7 nurse care line, and I got to see my internist early that morning. I woke up chocking stomach acid, I had a sore throat and hoarse voice for most of the day, my internal doctor asked if I had taken the omeprazole prescription I had received and I couldn't remember If I had or not, I never forgot from that day on to it was gone at about a month out. He also suggested that I sleep on an incline, not eat right before bedtime and to not skip on omeprazole the first month.

I have what I think it's heart burn and Tums or Pepsid do the job for me.

I hope you don't wake up again with that feeling, I certainly got really scared and would not wish that on anyone!!!
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)