Brad Watkins
    Last Activity
    01-06-2021 03:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 160 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 149 Times

Default Why Calcium Citrate?

Hi all,
    When I was getting prepared for my surgery I was trying to stock up on my vitamins and things, so I was in a hurry and didn't pay attention to the calcium I bought. I bought the calcium citrate caramel chews, and after I had opened them, I realized my mistake. Why do sleeve patients need to take calcium citrate, versus carbonate? Will carbonate still be beneficial?
    From looking around, it looks like Calcium citrate chews are only available from Bariatric sites, like Bariatric Advantage. And they are quite pricey. Do you know of any local stores that sell them for cheaper?
    I'm also able to swallow pills, so can I switch to a Calcium Citrate pill now? Those are a lot cheaper!
    Thanks for your advice on this.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    08-23-2020 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times
    Was Thanked 475 Times in 285 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

Default Re: Why Calcium Citrate?

I shop on Amazon and find them cheaper than most stores. I don't remember why one vs. the other, but it was an important difference.
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

"Never take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!"

Remember, in this thing, it's a good thing to be a loser!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG
    Target Weight -205 That's right, 205!!!!

4. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Not sure why, but I was also told Calcium Citrate only. I used to buy the expensive chewables online, but now I just get the generics from Walmart.

I still take the bariatric vitamins after my nutritionist couldn't believe I switched to a regular multi-vitamin. She told me the regular ones don't have the extra stuff I need like iron.

Here's what I found online:

Calcium Citrate

Your body can best absorb calcium in an acidic environment, and because calcium citrate is an acidic molecule, it doesn't need stomach acids for easy absorption. Registered Dietician Gloria Tsang advises that if you have low levels of stomach acid, your body will more easily break down and use calcium from calcium citrate. However, this supplement form typically contains less elemental calcium per pill than calcium carbonate, and so you may need to take an increased dose. Additionally, if you suffer from excess stomach acid, calcium citrate can worsen your symptoms.

Calcium Carbonate

Likely, you likely have a bottle of calcium carbonate in your cupboard; this form of calcium if found in many common brands of anti-acid tablets. Unlike calcium citrate, calcium carbonate is alkaline and requires extra stomach acid to digest and absorb it. Tsang recommends that you take it immediately after a meal or with a glass of orange juice. Remember that calcium carbonate gives you more elemental calcium per pill than calcium citrate, and so you may not need to take more than one pill or tablet at a time.

6. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    04/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Brad Watkins
    Last Activity
    01-06-2021 03:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 160 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 149 Times

Hi there,
    You said you get the generic at Walmart... Do you mean the Calcium Citrate in a pill form? I didn't see any Calcium Citrate in a chewable at Walmart the other day. Thanks for clarifying And thanks for the article below!

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Not sure why, but I was also told Calcium Citrate only. I used to buy the expensive chewables online, but now I just get the generics from Walmart.

I still take the bariatric vitamins after my nutritionist couldn't believe I switched to a regular multi-vitamin. She told me the regular ones don't have the extra stuff I need like iron.

Here's what I found online:

Calcium Citrate

Your body can best absorb calcium in an acidic environment, and because calcium citrate is an acidic molecule, it doesn't need stomach acids for easy absorption. Registered Dietician Gloria Tsang advises that if you have low levels of stomach acid, your body will more easily break down and use calcium from calcium citrate. However, this supplement form typically contains less elemental calcium per pill than calcium carbonate, and so you may need to take an increased dose. Additionally, if you suffer from excess stomach acid, calcium citrate can worsen your symptoms.

Calcium Carbonate

Likely, you likely have a bottle of calcium carbonate in your cupboard; this form of calcium if found in many common brands of anti-acid tablets. Unlike calcium citrate, calcium carbonate is alkaline and requires extra stomach acid to digest and absorb it. Tsang recommends that you take it immediately after a meal or with a glass of orange juice. Remember that calcium carbonate gives you more elemental calcium per pill than calcium citrate, and so you may not need to take more than one pill or tablet at a time.

Name
    hmmmmm I wonder
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Romanelli
    Last Activity
    01-09-2018 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 370 Times in 237 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 96 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi because the reduced size of your stomach your body can't break down carbonate as quickly as it can citrate so you do not get the full effect of the calcium by doing carbonate versus citrate. For by pass patients its far worse then sleeve patients but the effects are still there.

Starting weight 328
    pre-op weight- 298
    1 month out- 262
    2 month out- 244
    3 month out- 227
    4 month out- 215
    5 month out- 203
    6 month out- 195
    7 month out- 194 in 1 month stall
    8 month out- 192
    9 month out-190
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by D618 View Post
    Hi there,
    You said you get the generic at Walmart... Do you mean the Calcium Citrate in a pill form? I didn't see any Calcium Citrate in a chewable at Walmart the other day. Thanks for clarifying And thanks for the article below!
    Yes, I get it in pill form. I'm over three years from surgery and don't have any problems with big pills anymore. Before that I used the Building Blocks orange flavored chewable, it was yummy! (Tasted like candy). Ordered it online.

12. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/12/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ma
    Last Activity
    10-17-2017 03:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 766 Times
    Was Thanked 123 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 532 Times

I take the Wellese liquid Calcium Citrate and I get it online at Amazon. I have seen the same thing at Walmart, so if you're interested in a liquid form, try Walmart or Amazon.
    Linda 51

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Calcium Citrate is easier for us to absorb after being sleeved according to the research I have done.
    I tried to put the link up but it would not work.

16. Said thanks: