Dr. Wade Naziri
    Last Activity
    09-17-2017 09:42 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default HI! - Intro + Question

Hello all!

My last 2 posts/threads haven't posted for whatever reason so hopefully this one works.

I'm on the downhill portion of my VGS journey with my last nutritional appointment today. I've completed the 3 months of guided weight loss (with an extra one in for good measure since it's taken an additional month to complete everything), endoscopy, cardio/pulmonary, psych test, and 1 of 2 nutritional appointments. I've been overweight since I've existed in this world so this is going to be a wonderful and scary change.

I have also been running into some serious issues losing the pre-op weight and keeping it off. I have PCOS and issues with portion control and have lost the same 15lbs at least 3 times. I was on Vyvanse (for ADD and appetite control) for the first month and a half of my guided weight loss program and was able to lose a significant amount of weight but I just wasn't eating anything. I started having emotional/behavioral issues due to the medication so I stopped taking the Vyvanse and the weight immediately crept back on when I started eating regularly again. I've actually *gained* weight during this process and it's the most polished I've eaten in years. When I went to see my nutritionist last month she wouldn't give me the "okay" to proceed with the surgery until I followed her plan for 3 weeks and said I needed to see a 5-10% weight loss before my surgery to get my BMI under 50. I've stuck to the diet almost religiously with two cheats and the weight has fluctuated up and down but will not stay off.

Has anyone had an issue with this and how did it affect your surgery eligibility? I've already spent close to $2,000 and I'm afraid this is going to disqualify me from getting my surgery done.

Thanks all,

- cactus

2. The following 20 users said welcome cactus to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-05-2018 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 285 Times
    Was Thanked 245 Times in 196 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 567 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: HI! - Intro + Question

You certainly are a trooper to have jumped through all those hoops and spent so much money in the process. I wish you success in your weight loss journey and may it be an easier one for you soon. My insurance did not cover the surgery so I am going to Mexico to have it done. There are positives and negatives to both I am sure. Hang in there! It sounds like you are learning a lot about yourself and your eating habits in the process

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

If you are going through insurance there are very specific requirements and vary by company. I do know that if you don't follow your insurance company's requirements it can definitely disqualify you. I hope you are able to reach your goal. Good luck.

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/17/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wade Naziri
    Last Activity
    09-17-2017 09:42 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Thank you both! And sorry about the double thread post - they were hanging in limbo for a while.