Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default 7 Months Post Op!!! What I have learned and what I think you should know!

So much happiness. I am 7 months post op today. I have lost 65 pounds post op and 85 pounds total. I am only 4'11" so on me it is a lot of weight. I feel healthy and I am only 2 pounds away from my goal weight.
    So my sleeve journey was through my insurance company. I had 7 months of hoops to go through to get approved to go through my insurance plan. And while it was cheaper than paying full price, I still had quite a bit of out of pocket. To be honest, there are times I wish I would have just gone to Mexico. I would have paid less and then I could have done the surgery much quicker. And I am in Texas so I am not far from Mexico to begin with. At any rate, the major benefit of going through insurance is that I have a lot of post op care and follow up with my surgeon and nutritionist. Other than that, I feel I could have saved a lot of time and money going the Mexico route.
    So for insurance I had to have 6 months of supervised weight management with my surgeon/nutritionist, a psyche exam, an endoscopy, an EKG, and blood work. I chose a really great surgeon and really enjoyed the company it was going to be through. At my 2nd appointment, I was informed that the company lost their lease in their building which had their operating room and they would be closing in my town. They did have an office 1 1/2 hours away but not to worry as my surgeon also worked out of another location. His other office, however, was down town which was crappy since the first location was just 5 minutes away from my job. I was really sad for the ladies in the first location. When I went to my 3rd appointment at the other location they were really nice as well. Just getting to that office was a traffic nightmare but I plugged right along.
    Once my paperwork was submitted it only took about a week to 10 days to get approval from the insurance. And once they approved my surgery I was given the option to schedule my surgery for either 7 or 9 days later. I chose 9 only because I needed to inform my work. My pre op diet was 6 days of 2 shakes and a meal of protein and veggies. Then the 3 days immediately pre op was liquids only. I was not strict on the 6 days but did not cheat at all on my 3 days of liquids. Then the day of surgery. I got to the hospital bright and early at 7 am on November 3rd. My surgery was not actually until noonish. The surgery itself was quick. Probably like an hour and a half. I can tell you I do not do well coming out of anesthesia. I knew this going in. When I awoke I felt soooo sick and was dry heaving like crazy. This lasted for about an hour or so until the meds they put in my IV made me fall asleep. Before I fell asleep I was thinking I had made a huge mistake. When I woke up, although I had some nausea, I felt pretty good. I did sleep a lot on and off for the rest of the day. I did get up around 6ish to start walking the halls and getting the gas out of me. I did this many times through the course of the night when I would wake up. I really hate hospital beds and find them uncomfortable.
    I was released from the hospital the next day at 5 PM. I hadn't seen my surgeon so I was scared they would make me stay another night. I did not want to have to pay for that as I felt fine and even with copay from insurance it was $1550 a night. I made my husband go down to my surgeons office and get him before he left for the day. My surgeon came up, looked at all my stats, looked at my incisions, asked me how I felt and then signed my discharge papers. I went home and was so happy to be in my own bed.
    I slept a lot the first week. But I also walked as much as I could. I had a sore throat from being intubated. I could barely get anything down. The sweet of the protein shakes made me feel gross. I did better with warm fluids. I survived the first week on broth, warm tea, and creamed soups made with nonfat milk. I was barely getting anything in. My surgeon had prescribed me a liquid anti nausea and pain medication. I only used them each about 3 or 4 times post op. I did have a bad case of thrush from the liquid diet. I had read that on another site but don't see it discussed too frequently.
    I went to my first post op visit 8 days later. My surgeon prescribed me a swish for my thrush. It took about a week to go away completely. It was pretty gross. I have not tracked my weight regularly. I just updated my ticker as the pounds began to fall. I think the first time I tracked my weight was starting on December 11th....a little over a month post op. On that day I was 168. That means I lost 19 lbs in about 5 weeks....that included my time in the dreaded 3 week stall. That was a horrific time. I felt like I had failed and that the sleeve was not working. Then I kept reading about the stalls, relaxed, regrouped and started losing again. After that, I was tracking my weight every 2-3 weeks. I did not lose great huge numbers but since I am short my starting weight was already lower than most. I averaged about 2-3 pounds a week.
    What things do I think most people should know before taking the plunge? It isn't always easy. Eating will be difficult for a while. If you eat too much or too quickly it is going to suck. Like you will be in pain. You may even vomit. I never full on puked but I did get a foamy slime a few times from overeating. It is not a good time. A mistake you only have to make a few times to learn to avoid it. Real foods like meat will require less to fill you up. They will also keep you full longer and help you lose weight. Most people will still lose weight eating crap foods but those seem to be the people who come back a year or two down the road with weight gain woes. We can only eat a little bit so we should definitely be eating foods that provide optimal nutrition. On that note, we do not eat enough to get the nutrients we need. You will have to supplement with vitamins. I take a multi vitamin, D3, B12, biotin, calcium citrate, and stool softeners daily. Not everyone will need stool softeners but one of my post op "complications" has been constipation.
    Will you ever eat "normal" again and enjoy food again? Ok, first of all, hopefully none of us will ever eat what our pre op normal was...that is how we got obese to begin with. So that would be defeating the purpose. Now eventually we will all be able to eat more. We definitely don't want to overdo it, though. As for enjoying our foods, I rather enjoy my food now. I eat a lot less now, yes, but what I do eat I take time to savor and enjoy. But my life is not food focused anymore. I enjoy being active and spending time with family and friends. I have more energy. Loving my new life. It wasn't a walk in the park to get to this point but it was not unbearable either. I have spent many nights with a heating pad. Every day I felt a little better and things seemed to get a little easier. I feel and look like a million bucks.
    My biggest words of advice I can offer anyone thinking about getting a sleeve is this...read as much as you can. Read people's blogs, read every website you can on the ins and outs of gastric sleeve surgery, know all the potential complications. Know it isn't some easy magic wand that makes you skinny with no work and no pain. But it does get better and it is worth it. One of my favorite sites was http://www.obesitycoverage.com/gastr...erence-manual/ I felt like it had a lot of good information. And I used this forum to read and interact with others who have traveled the path before me. No two sleeve journeys are the same. They are as unique as each of us. But you can see all the potential things that can occur and how others have dealt with it. And there are a ton of forums to find and obtain this information. Another thing that I find disheartening is that people don't realize that you also have to change your mindset on nutrition and health. You have to eat better and you have to be smart. Yes, you can indulge occasionally. And I know there will be those who will say that you should not be on a "diet" post op. I am not saying a diet but eating proper nutrition and healthy is a lifestyle. If you want to keep eating crappy foods that are full of fat and sugar....by all means.....go right ahead. But if down the road you gain it all back then that is your burden to carry.
    I wish you all loads of success on your journeys. I wish you all the best in life. And I wish you all peace of mind in your decision to sleeve or not to sleeve. Ultimately, it is your choice and only you can make the one that is right for you.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 7 Months Post Op!!! What I have learned and what I think you should know!

I also look back and wished I would have gone to Mexico to be sleeved. I went through insurance and had surgery here in the States, but my out of pocket costs added up to a whopping $4371.

Mexican surgeons charge anywhere from $2999 (Dr. Maytorena) to $6,000+ (Dr. Ortiz). In hindsight, I could have saved time and money by avoiding the hoops and traveling to Mexico if I'd known I'd be paying so much with insurance here in Texas.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

4. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    11/16/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Martin
    Last Activity
    03-02-2020 07:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 89 Times

Default Re: 7 Months Post Op!!! What I have learned and what I think you should know!

Thank you Christi for taking the time to write your story. I had my surgery not that long after you. Everything went pretty smoothly for me also. I am down 75lbs. I am so grateful I was able to have this surgery. Wouldn't change a thing.
    Pre-Op:123 kg/270 lb
    Total weight loss so far: 39 kg/85 lbs

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Luv49ers19's Avatar
    Name
    Cody
    Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Daniel Leslie
    Last Activity
    09-27-2018 08:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 760 Times
    Was Thanked 547 Times in 375 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 275 Times
    Blog Entries

Another thing that I find disheartening is that people don't realize that you also have to change your mindset on nutrition and health. You have to eat better and you have to be smart. Yes, you can indulge occasionally. And I know there will be those who will say that you should not be on a "diet" post op. I am not saying a diet but eating proper nutrition and healthy is a lifestyle. If you want to keep eating crappy foods that are full of fat and sugar....by all means.....go right ahead. But if down the road you gain it all back then that is your burden to carry.
    I wish you all loads of success on your journeys. I wish you all the best in life. And I wish you all peace of mind in your decision to sleeve or not to sleeve. Ultimately, it is your choice and only you can make the one that is right for you.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more! I'm reading all these stories about people who go to mexico to get sleeved and have no before care. I thank god that i did! My insurance also required tests and 6 months of nutritionist appointments. For me I know had I not changed my habits from that first meeting I would fail. So I did. That enabled me to lose the 51 pounds the 7 months before surgery.
    To those that don't have insurance or it is too expensive and do get surgery in mexico (I'm all for by the way) my advice is change your eating habits asap! It will make life so much easier after surgery. Yes I'm only 12 days out but in know I've got this.
    I love everyone's stories here and have learned so much so please don't take offence. I am just expressing my opion not judging anyone.
    Hw: 260
    Sw: 260 10/23/16
    Weight at time of sleeve 209 (-51)
    Sleeve date 5/23/17
    1 month:187 (-22)
    2 month:178 (-9)
    3 month:172 (-6)
    4 month:162 (-10)
    5 month:150 (-12) (10/28/17) 6 month goal!!!!
    6 month: 143 (-7)
    7 month: 136 (-7)
    8 month: 131 (-5) made goal weight 130 (2/8/2017)
    9 month: 125 (-6)
    10 month: 120 (-5)
    11 month: 115 (-5)
    1 year: 114 (-1)
    16 months: 120 (+6)

8. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lavin
    Last Activity
    03-10-2018 09:54 AM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

Thank you for sharing your story! A lot of great information and food for thought for those considering having the surgery! So happy for you and your success! It makes me so excited for you and also for me as I am only 12 days post op.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Christie, great post! You've sure done a great job. So happy for you. You've learned so many of the same things I've learned, too. Loved your lessons learned and observations, including:

* Read, read, read
    * Change your mindset, eat more nutritiously, and adopt a healthy lifestyle
    * Early post-op experiences don't resemble what sleeved life soon becomes
    * Be patient, smart and a little bit tough ("It isn't always easy.")

I hope you stick around.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member SoSewSue62's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/01/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Igal Breitman
    Last Activity
    08-27-2017 06:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Depending on your income, you can take medical out of pocket off your income taxes.

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    12-21-2018 09:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 774 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 169 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,104 Times

Thanks for sharing girl! I had a rough start as you know, but it's all good now!

17. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/27/2016
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 124 Times in 84 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 241 Times
    Blog Entries

You're an inspiration to all and have made amazing progress. Congratulations on your success!
    Bagawk!

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa73me View Post
    Thanks for sharing girl! I had a rough start as you know, but it's all good now!
    You did go through a whole lot. More than one person should have to deal with. I am so glad that things FINALLY turned around for you and you can actually enjoy your sleeve now!

Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RehabNurse View Post
    I also look back and wished I would have gone to Mexico to be sleeved. I went through insurance and had surgery here in the States, but my out of pocket costs added up to a whopping $4371.

Mexican surgeons charge anywhere from $2999 (Dr. Maytorena) to $6,000+ (Dr. Ortiz). In hindsight, I could have saved time and money by avoiding the hoops and traveling to Mexico if I'd known I'd be paying so much with insurance here in Texas.
    I just found out I have more that was not covered by insurance but I have not contacted them to confirm what I still owe. But I still don't regret it because I honestly feel that I have an amazing surgeon and nutritionist. I know that I can reach out any time I need them either by phone or in person. But I could've started my journey way earlier and paid less. So agree with you RehabNurse

Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Blog Entries

I couldn't agree more! I'm reading all these stories about people who go to mexico to get sleeved and have no before care. I thank god that i did! My insurance also required tests and 6 months of nutritionist appointments. For me I know had I not changed my habits from that first meeting I would fail. So I did. That enabled me to lose the 51 pounds the 7 months before surgery.
    To those that don't have insurance or it is too expensive and do get surgery in mexico (I'm all for by the way) my advice is change your eating habits asap! It will make life so much easier after surgery. Yes I'm only 12 days out but in know I've got this.
    I love everyone's stories here and have learned so much so please don't take offence. I am just expressing my opion not judging anyone.[/QUOTE]

Yes. It is a lifestyle change. My nutritionist and surgeon emphasized this. We should be eating healthier and being active. People think you can't gain the weight back but you can. Especially if you are making poor choices. And if you continuously overeat, you can also stretch your stomach out again. And while we all want to look good, I think even more so we all want to be healthy.

23. Said thanks:

Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    Christie, great post! You've sure done a great job. So happy for you. You've learned so many of the same things I've learned, too. Loved your lessons learned and observations, including:

* Read, read, read
    * Change your mindset, eat more nutritiously, and adopt a healthy lifestyle
    * Early post-op experiences don't resemble what sleeved life soon becomes
    * Be patient, smart and a little bit tough ("It isn't always easy.")

I hope you stick around.
    Thanks Ann! I really enjoy being able to share my journey and also learn from others like you. I plan on sticking around!

25. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you for sharing! what a great post, especially for those who start the process!!

I know I also think sometimes I should have done it sooner and just go to Mexico (especially when I lived in Phoenix that was so close!).
    But it's a long process, it took time for me to know where and when and my team is so nice I know I was lucky and got really amazing care here.
    Of course all those years in constant pain could have been long gone but at the same time all those years (my one year diet, seeing different surgeons, taking nutrition classes at uni etc) were really crucial to make me ready for the big jump. So at the end I try not to think about the past but focus on how lucky I am to have more mobility, a better health etc. But I do understand perfectly where you're coming from..same here!

Little story to illustrate: A good friend came for a short stay last week, mostly work related but since it was a public holidays for two days during his stay I was able to spend two full days with him and show him the city (hubby had to work, but the kids came along!).

Those two days we walked 11 km each day visiting the city, temples, museums, walking in the countryside etc. Indeed the weather is really awful (hot and very humid but lucky we got one day of sun!!!) and my friend just arrived from a 14 h trip the day before. So he was a little tired even if he was flying business and slept in the plane, he was still very jet-lagged too. At the end of the first day at 8.30 PM, my friend (who run marathons!) couldn't take it any more and went to bed even without dinner! my husband told me "you kicked his ass, two years ago it would have been the contrary". The kids were really tired too. I must say I was fine! and surprised about it! of course my knees were a little tender but some cream relieved the pain quickly and I was great the next day.

Anyway, last week that dear friend was so supportive and so happy for me/us (he told my husband "see you were scared about the surgery but that was the right decision she is doing so great today") I felt that we are lucky to have such amazing friends all over the world.

Having that surgery also did show who are my "real friends". I must say that most of them have been very supportive, nasty comments only came from family members (no surprise here).

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

27. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    12-21-2018 09:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 774 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 169 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,104 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post
    You did go through a whole lot. More than one person should have to deal with. I am so glad that things FINALLY turned around for you and you can actually enjoy your sleeve now!
    Yes, I do think it was worth it now, at first I was feeling like I had been duped. Thanks!