08-10-2017 08:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Lightbulb Near to qualifying for surgery and getting nervous

[SIZE=3][/SIZE
    ]
    Hello All,

I have been working really hard to qualify for the sleeve and had my last doctor's appointment today. I am meeting with my patient advocate next week to determine what is the next step is in order to call the surgeon to set up my procedure. There have been some communication problems and I want to get everything straightened out before I call Dr. Genaw. One thing that I am starting to go through is some nerves about having the sleeve done.

Up until 2 weeks ago, I was not worried at all about having the sleeve done. As a RN, I know the procedure and what the problems are and doing all that I can to prevent complications. Now I go from being ready for surgery to wanting to run the other direction. I have only had one surgery in my life and it didn't go well. I was in ICU for over a month. This is no where near the same thing and trying to tell myself that, but I don't want to take this lightly. What have others done to combat the nerves before getting their sleeve done? Any and all input would be appreciated.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Sallynmichigan's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sally
    Surgery date
    05/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Hawasli
    Last Activity
    10-17-2019 10:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Near to qualifying for surgery and getting nervous

Hmm, that is fascinating that you, being an RN, would need your nerves settled about a fairly routine procedure. Sounds like you are really close in completing all the steps. What I am curious about, is what motivated you to go through all the hoops to get to the moment just before having a date for surgery?

You have proven you want this. You have the educational background to know the ins and outs of this surgery. The risks, complications, and the fact it is not reversible. Forget that other surgery, it has no bearing on this one. This one is elective and you are choosing the sleeve through all the research you have done, it's a great solution. However, I had only one thought before surgery, and that is I can't wait! My life is going to open up to me all types of possibilities. Already, and I mean a week out, people are looking at me differently. Trust me, that is important to me since I drive a school bus and out of the mouths of babes...and they can say some hurtful things. But when I go back in September, I am hoping that the reaction will be one that will warm my heart.

I can't say that I had any doubts, but I had a long time coming to this place. Since 2007 I had been trying to get surgery and finally it all fell into place. And I kind of think, that if it wasn't meant to be, you would have been denied or you would have felt it was too much work etc. But you are almost there and trust me, these forums are the best support out there. Better than my surgeon's support group.

Good luck to you and I hope you make the right decision for your life..better health, better physical abilities on your job. It must be hard for you carrying that weight and being on your feet so much. And who knows, if it's not now, maybe later in your life. It's all good. No matter what you decide.

Sally
    HW 400lbs
    Starting Weight: 308
    Sleeve date: 5/24/17
    Surgery Weight: 296-(12)
    1st Month: 271-(25)
    2nd Month 2676-(4)
    3rd Month 261-(16)
    4th Month

5. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/26/2016
    Surgeon
    Taiwan Kim
    Last Activity
    08-02-2019 07:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 138 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

My worries and nervousness didn't set in until about an hour before the surgery. I spent that last hour telling my husband all the passwords for accounts and computers. Telling him to be sure the kids all knew that I loved them, etc. All of a sudden, I thought I couldn't go through the rest of my life without all the food I could possibly eat. Try to break down what you're really afraid of and deal with THAT issue. I think any time you go under general anesthesia and basically put your life in someone else's hands, you have GOOD reason to be afraid. You have done the work to get to this point, if you step across the threshold, you will be happy with the ultimate outcome. This surgery will not make you a different person, just a better version of yourself.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/15/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Genaw
    Last Activity
    08-10-2017 08:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Sally,

I plan on going through with it. I was just surprised at all of a sudden being nervous with all that I know and have done. It is kind of throwing me. I am still acting in accordance with having the surgery. I am not usually emotional about having medical procedures. I have elected to have procedures done on me for people my age. Other people go "why bother"? Just trying to hear what other people did about it. I am meeting with the patient advocate to figure out what the next step is. Thanks for your input.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

After 7 months of jumping through insurance hoops I was so excited and ready I could hardly stand it. I felt very well informed and prepared. Hopefully you will find your peace of mind.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents