Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Eating Uncomfortable?

The feeling you're experiencing is perfectly normal and I work in a Bariatric department at a hospital where we've done over 575 cases to date this year so we're a thriving population. I'm also a "veteran" and had that feeling as well as many other post op patients I've come in contact with.

If you are looking for support and answers to your questions, please just read the responses and don't read "emotions" into them. What you experience daily in "work" is totally different than others trying to support you and answer your questions on this forum.

Continued success on your journey!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/26/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lutfi
    Last Activity
    06-02-2017 04:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Now that was a helpful and considerate response! Thank you!
    "'Cause all it takes is a little reinvention." -Evan Hansen

Starting weight 398
    pre-op weight- 378
    1 month out- 355
    2 month out-
    3 month out-
    4 month out-
    5 month out-
    6 month out-
    7 month out-
    8 month out-
    9 month out-
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/26/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lutfi
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Shirl was totally helpful. If you don't want advice from veterans, I suggest you don't ask for it.
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but I agree. Shirl was very helpful and as I said I appreciate her feedback. My only question was about what I've seen several times now of people accusing someone of not doing enough research before they got their surgery. Even if you don't do a lot of research, it's a lot of information to take in. As I'm sure even the veterans can remember, it's a difficult emotional decision. If we could go back to those early days for the veterans, I'd bet many--even most--were confused about some things. All I'm asking is that people remember that feeling--the confusion, the fear, the remorse, the mourning and give people that are not so far along a break. Perhaps that is usually Shirl's way--I had just read the judgement elsewhere and decided to say something about it.

To your point, I will steer clear of certain "veterans"-one who posts later in this thread in particular in the future.

Starting weight 398
    pre-op weight- 378
    1 month out- 355
    2 month out-
    3 month out-
    4 month out-
    5 month out-
    6 month out-
    7 month out-
    8 month out-
    9 month out-
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

6. Said thanks:

NLT

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/26/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lutfi
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times

Even your question gets at the info I need. I'm aware that everyone is different. I have no problem with any of the baby food consistency stuff--which is where my doc places scrambled eggs. It's some of the harder "soft" foods that have given me trouble and most of that has already begun to fade with time, slower eating, smaller bites and more chewing. So again thanks for your help.

Starting weight 398
    pre-op weight- 378
    1 month out- 355
    2 month out-
    3 month out-
    4 month out-
    5 month out-
    6 month out-
    7 month out-
    8 month out-
    9 month out-
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/26/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lutfi
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jerzeygirl View Post
    The feeling you're experiencing is perfectly normal and I work in a Bariatric department at a hospital where we've done over 575 cases to date this year so we're a thriving population. I'm also a "veteran" and had that feeling as well as many other post op patients I've come in contact with.

If you are looking for support and answers to your questions, please just read the responses and don't read "emotions" into them. What you experience daily in "work" is totally different than others trying to support you and answer your questions on this forum.

Continued success on your journey!
    First and last paragraphs...Thank you so much!

Starting weight 398
    pre-op weight- 378
    1 month out- 355
    2 month out-
    3 month out-
    4 month out-
    5 month out-
    6 month out-
    7 month out-
    8 month out-
    9 month out-
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/26/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lutfi
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    You think Shirl's response was harsh? You ain't seen nothing yet. Shirl is one of the sweetest folks on here outside of Ann2. Always helpful and always very even in her responses. As a matter of point, I do not agree with her approach to post op life, but, I do respect it. It works for her and she's demonstrated great results. You'd be well served to shut your yapper and consider what she has to say.

Now for my response to your post.

1) NOT helpful as a response to an emotional reaction,

Take a step back and understand that the folks responding to your post are capable and allowed to post an emotional response to your emotional post. You want help? Well, let me tell you. Ragging on a regular contributor ain't the way to garner any support on here at all. Not that you appear to want it.

2) Not supportive when there is nothing that can be done about what one did or didn't do in the past--part of the point of these forums is to help people get the information they need, whether they've read it or not already AND whether they've should have done so or not,

Instead of typing three paragraphs detailing what this board has been about in the damn near five years I've been here, I'll skip forward and just say that you haven't earned enough credibility on here to lecture what this forum should and shouldn't be about. The point of this forum is not to wet nurse insolent newbies with thin skin. It's to answer questions and offer advice. The only thing I can say without doubt concerning this forum is that we are not about suppressing opinions. If you serve up an observation or opinion, you had better be prepared to have it served right back atcha.

3) My research and how my medical staff prepped me is known only to me and them...not random people on these forums.

My research shows that the folks complaining the loudest are the ones with the greatest degree of unattainable expectations. What the hell did you think you were going to be doing five weeks out? Shirl's response was spot on concerning your current condition. So, now that you've alluded to the fact that your medical staff prepped you well, you need to tell us what they told you to expect.

Let me save you the time because I already know. So does every other vet on here. What they told you is the same thing every other surgeon in every other clinic in every other country on God's little green earth tells every other sleever pre and post op. Their advice should be taken as that. Advice. It ain't the gospel because we are all different and because we are all different, each of us is going to experience a unique trip down the loser's path.

Your obligation during the first two or three months post op is to RESEARCH THE HELL OUT OF POST OP LIFE. Ask questions, accept answers, adopt the approaches that you think might work best for you, and then be open to changing it all up once or twice along the way.

Oh....and one last thing. Know your place.
    You sir are quite the ass! And I would hazard to say you and others like you are what's wrong with this country.

"Know your place." "earned enough credibility" Really?!? You think a forum of people with something in common is a hierarchy? "wet nurse newbies with thin skin" Is that how you attempt to define compassion and support? "Cause I don't think you understand the concepts.

Wow!

Thankfully there are many others who have commented with actual compassion and support. I will look to them and strive to be supportive to those who come after me. In future, kindly disregard my posts. I certainly will be doing so with yours.

Starting weight 398
    pre-op weight- 378
    1 month out- 355
    2 month out-
    3 month out-
    4 month out-
    5 month out-
    6 month out-
    7 month out-
    8 month out-
    9 month out-
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

11. Said thanks:

NLT

Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Eating certainly becomes enjoyable again as your stomach relaxes and stretches over time. At least it did for me. You will be able to accommodate more food intake.

I am now 26 months out and basically eat what I want, just in normal-sized portions. Yesterday's lunch and dinner was ranch zucchini meatloaf, and tonight's dinner is stuffed bell peppers.

For comparison purposes, I can comfortably eat two chicken drumsticks and a chicken thigh in one sitting. Good luck with your weight loss journey...it does get better.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Will4_26 View Post
    Thank you Shirl. I appreciate the sentiment.

I do wonder why you and others on these forums jump to judging people for how much research they may or may not have done. My two cents: 1) NOT helpful as a response to an emotional reaction, 2) Not supportive when there is nothing that can be done about what one did or didn't do in the past--part of the point of these forums is to help people get the information they need, whether they've read it or not already AND whether they've should have done so or not, 3) My research and how my medical staff prepped me is known only to me and them...not random people on these forums.

But I do appreciate the sentiment. The delivery was a just a little harsh.
    No problem. I apologize if I triggered or pushed a button.

From your comments "Sometimes I just don't want to try... [and] I don't want to live not liking to eat..." it sounded like you were dealing with some emotional attachment to eating food(s). I personally had to deal with those issues pre and post op, but thankfully I was aware that that "stinking thinking" would creep back somehow someway and I had to have a backup plan.

If I made it through this life altering surgery unscathed I had to have tools in place to stay true to my decision and do whatever it took/takes for lifelong success.

You, I, others, us don't have much of an option now that we are "Sleeved." It cannot be undone. Good or bad you, me, us, we have to live with the consequences. For the majority of sleeved patients attachment to food, eating, eating nutrient void foods at that was what got us here in the first place, and no amount of surgery (or complaining or playing nice) is going to change that unless we change the attachment, belief, relationship and behaviors we have towards food or eating (or drinking.)

I hope you find relief/support/solutions/answers to your current problems/concerns, and I wish you nothing but the best in your weightloss journey.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    You think Shirl's response was harsh? You ain't seen nothing yet. Shirl is one of the sweetest folks on here outside of Ann2. Always helpful and always very even in her responses. As a matter of point, I do not agree with her approach to post op life, but, I do respect it. It works for her and she's demonstrated great results. You'd be well served to shut your yapper and consider what she has to say.

Now for my response to your post.

1) NOT helpful as a response to an emotional reaction,

Take a step back and understand that the folks responding to your post are capable and allowed to post an emotional response to your emotional post. You want help? Well, let me tell you. Ragging on a regular contributor ain't the way to garner any support on here at all. Not that you appear to want it.

2) Not supportive when there is nothing that can be done about what one did or didn't do in the past--part of the point of these forums is to help people get the information they need, whether they've read it or not already AND whether they've should have done so or not,

Instead of typing three paragraphs detailing what this board has been about in the damn near five years I've been here, I'll skip forward and just say that you haven't earned enough credibility on here to lecture what this forum should and shouldn't be about. The point of this forum is not to wet nurse insolent newbies with thin skin. It's to answer questions and offer advice. The only thing I can say without doubt concerning this forum is that we are not about suppressing opinions. If you serve up an observation or opinion, you had better be prepared to have it served right back atcha.

3) My research and how my medical staff prepped me is known only to me and them...not random people on these forums.

My research shows that the folks complaining the loudest are the ones with the greatest degree of unattainable expectations. What the hell did you think you were going to be doing five weeks out? Shirl's response was spot on concerning your current condition. So, now that you've alluded to the fact that your medical staff prepped you well, you need to tell us what they told you to expect.

Let me save you the time because I already know. So does every other vet on here. What they told you is the same thing every other surgeon in every other clinic in every other country on God's little green earth tells every other sleever pre and post op. Their advice should be taken as that. Advice. It ain't the gospel because we are all different and because we are all different, each of us is going to experience a unique trip down the loser's path.

Your obligation during the first two or three months post op is to RESEARCH THE HELL OUT OF POST OP LIFE. Ask questions, accept answers, adopt the approaches that you think might work best for you, and then be open to changing it all up once or twice along the way.

Oh....and one last thing. Know your place.
    Tinman, you think I'm sweet!?! Awww.... we have come a long way since our little spat over my feminist fervor lol! BTW, the more I read "Intuitive Eating" the more I am like that's what that guy Tinman said.

Thanks for being a gatekeeper. I see that now.

Respect.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

17. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    02/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bryan Thomas
    Last Activity
    06-05-2017 07:30 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is a common issue, it will get better. Take your time eating and you should be fine.

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Will4_26 View Post
    You sir are quite the ass! And I would hazard to say you and others like you are what's wrong with this country.

"Know your place." "earned enough credibility" Really?!? You think a forum of people with something in common is a hierarchy? "wet nurse newbies with thin skin" Is that how you attempt to define compassion and support? "Cause I don't think you understand the concepts.

Wow!

Thankfully there are many others who have commented with actual compassion and support. I will look to them and strive to be supportive to those who come after me. In future, kindly disregard my posts. I certainly will be doing so with yours.

Yeah...uh....Where to start......

Ok..first things first. We do not call names on this board. Period. If you can't bolster your argument from a point where name calling is your only defense, then I suggest you refrain from commenting. But hey...that's only a suggestion.

This place is fantastic for getting compassion, support, (((((hugs))))), advice, and unicorns farting rainbows. I am always happy to empathize with those that appear to need it. I do not offer fake platitudes though. As most will tell you, I calls them likes I sees them. To further my point, I have never turned down a single poster who has asked me for help. That's regardless of whether or not I liked them personally. I bet I spend close to an hour each and every day helping folks via my personal email address. I help them through stalls, I help them to never get stalls again, I help them with their relationships with food and significant others, and I help them learn how to live life as a sleever in a non sleeved world. In other words, I help a lot of different people work through the same problems. The content is boring because it's generally the same from person to person, but, the satisfaction I get from successfully helping someone never gets old.

However, this board is also a very good place to get a swift kick in the butt when needed. Who decides when it's needed? The people responding to your post.

When you take a swing at a very respected member of this board in the fashion that you did, then I'm going to say that you and those like you are what's wrong with this country. When the narrative doesn't fit your mindset, instead of trying to apply the compassion and understanding you are so hurt over not getting, you fake indignation and hurl insults. You did it to Shirl and you did it to me.

And...in case it isn't obvious to you yet, that doesn't cut it on here. Here's another nugget for you to digest. You do not have credibility on here. The only way to get it, if you're interested in having it, is to log some serious flight time with your sleeve and participate in discussions. The only thing people have in common on here is that we have all been sleeved and we all have something to share. What, exactly, have you shared up to this point besides name calling and insults?

As for wet nursing newbies, you act like that's a bad thing. Having a thin skin is a bad thing to show on a public message board, but, being a newbie is not a bad thing. I have probably wet nursed more newbies on this board besides anyone else not named Ann2. Who knows, maybe I've wet nursed more than her, but, probably not as well. Wet nursing newbies is the only reason why I continue to come on here. If someone wanted to take the time to read all 43 pages of my posts on here, they would find that they would not need to ask for my help or opinions and I wouldn't need to be here anymore. It's all right there for the taking. But, I do understand that everyone on here has a limited amount of time and in most cases, a limited attention span. So, I try to be patient and I help when asked. More importantly, I remember exactly what's it's like to be newly sleeved. The first three to six months, you are convinced that this isn't going to work. I have all of the sympathy in the world for those feeling that way. I remember.

So, to put a bow on this one, I will tell you this. I will comment on any thread I wish. I will say what ever I want, whenever I want, and exactly the way I want. My history on here (almost five years) is that I own each and every comment I make and I own my original response to your comment to Shirl. You can be assured of one thing. I will not be disregarding your posts just because it suits you. If I think anything you or anyone else says on this board merits a response from me, then I will proceed. That goes for great comments and threads as well as ones like you put forth.

You can either accept that or not. Really doesn't matter to me one bit.

20. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-05-2018 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 285 Times
    Was Thanked 245 Times in 196 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 567 Times
    Blog Entries

This is just my 2 cents I am so grateful to this site and the wonderful people in it... newbies and veterans. There are so many shared experiences and even though everyone and every sleeve surgery is different... each body reacts to the surgery differently... etc.... I am just really thankful to have this forum available AND thankful that so many people take precious time out of their busy lives to offer advice based upon their own experience, or offer their support (even pre-op). It is hard for the content "meaning" come across sufficiently when you are not face to face with someone, but sure appreciate those who take the time to try. Thanks all (hugs)

22. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member cyberdiva's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/19/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wade Naziri
    Last Activity
    07-03-2017 10:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks this thread is really helpful. I'm a little over six months post op and I'm slowly adding new foods. I have had this thought and feeling several times - that food is just uncomfortable. Thanks for sharing.

Pressure makes Diamonds, Irritation Makes Pearls!

Name
    Shaaz
    Surgery date
    06/27/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Luis Pasten
    Last Activity
    04-24-2019 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 63 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 39 Times

I'm only 9 days post op but just drinking is painful. I tried eating cottage cheese and that was hard to put down. I know it gets better but..... wow.

Surgery date
    04/17/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bertha
    Last Activity
    08-28-2018 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 102 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times

I had my surgery almost 3 months ago and I still get tjat feeling if I eat dense foods without chewing it well or taking big bites. Take small bites and eat slowly.
    I have to say though... I like having that restriction. Before my surgery I had no restrictions and loved eating... TOO MUCH. I needed restrictions and a tool to make me slow down and eat less. I guess it's all perspective, but if you could still eat all that you wanted to, what would be the point of surgery?

Highest weight: 257
    Starting weight: 252.4
    Month 1: -20 (232.4)
    Month 2: -9.4 (223)
    Month 3: -11 (212)
    Month 4: -11.6 (200.4)
    Month 5: -8 (192.4)
    Month 6: -7.6 (185.8)
    Month 7: -5.2 (180.2)
    Month 8: -5.4 (174.8)
    Month 9: -3.8 (171)
    Month 10: -5 (166)
    Month 11: -3.4 (162.6)
    ONE YEAR: -1.4 (161.2) Total loss: 95.8 pounds!
    Month 13: -3 (158.2)

26. Said thanks:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12