Surgeon
    Dr. Lutfi
    Last Activity
    06-02-2017 04:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Question Eating Uncomfortable?

If this has been discussed elsewhere, please point me to it. There are just too many posts on here to read through them all at once.

I am 5 weeks post-op. I am well into "soft foods" with only one more week to "regular" diet. I have to say I'm a little sick of protein only. However, it is often really uncomfortable to eat. Sometimes I just don't want to try. It's not pain exactly, but like a trapped burp. Has any one else experienced this? Honestly, it's kind of depressing me. I don't want to live not liking to eat. I have some theories, but wanted to hear was others have experienced. I see the doc next week for my 6 week check up and could wait 'til then or even email the nurse. I want to hear from real people first.

Thanks!
    "'Cause all it takes is a little reinvention." -Evan Hansen

Starting weight 398
    pre-op weight- 378
    1 month out- 355
    2 month out-
    3 month out-
    4 month out-
    5 month out-
    6 month out-
    7 month out-
    8 month out-
    9 month out-
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Eating Uncomfortable?

It is temporary, don't worry!

4. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    hmmmmm I wonder
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Romanelli
    Last Activity
    01-09-2018 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 370 Times in 237 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 96 Times
    Blog Entries

That happened to me I thought it was from eating a bit to fast so I slowed down and the problem went away. I can't say for sure it was from eating to quickly or just happened to stop when I slowed my eating.

Starting weight 328
    pre-op weight- 298
    1 month out- 262
    2 month out- 244
    3 month out- 227
    4 month out- 215
    5 month out- 203
    6 month out- 195
    7 month out- 194 in 1 month stall
    8 month out- 192
    9 month out-190
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

6. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Eric Marcotte
    Last Activity
    09-10-2017 12:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I too have the same thing happening. I am almost a month post op. I have tried soft foods but does not taste right and makes me sick to my stomach or like a weird feeling in my stomach. I too do not want to live like this either. So I am back to shakes, yougurts and popsicles. My appointment is next week so I will wait til then to ask mine. Hopefully it gets better for you.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/26/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lutfi
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times

After I took a beat and figured out that I could search the forums with the search tool (duh), I found a thread called "This was a major mistake." The initial post is really negative. The author is having a rough time. However, the responses-most of them-are fantastic. If you're having this issue check out this thread.

Starting weight 398
    pre-op weight- 378
    1 month out- 355
    2 month out-
    3 month out-
    4 month out-
    5 month out-
    6 month out-
    7 month out-
    8 month out-
    9 month out-
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Will4_26 View Post
    After I took a beat and figured out that I could search the forums with the search tool (duh), I found a thread called "This was a major mistake." The initial post is really negative. The author is having a rough time. However, the responses-most of them-are fantastic. If you're having this issue check out this thread.
    I saw your post on there. The original post was in 2014, but I want to assure you that any and all discomforts get better the farther you are from surgery. I am just over a year, and while I still have restriction specially if I eat dense foods like beef or chicken breast it is nothing like it was initially. My new sleeved tummy would wring, twist and turn if I ate something it didn't like. It might have tasted okay to my tongue but when it hit my tummy it was a different story. It never does that now.

My recommendation is that you introduce new foods one at a time in tiny bites, chew the heck out of it and wait a few minutes. If that is something you do not wish to do or have patience for, then you did not research the Sleeve Gastrectomy enough and weren't fully prepared for life after the Sleeve Gastrectomy. This was ingrained in me on my first nutritionist visit.

Due to the "upside down bottle of Corona" shape of your new digestive system your throat is larger than the banana shape of your sleeved stomach and therefore you must chew anything you eat well, and sip in small quantities and slowly. In time you will probably be able to be less vigilant, but if you eat too fast or don't chew well your sleeved stomach may remind you to take it easy. Maybe it won't, and if you don't change the way you eat or what you eat the weight loss will be only temporary. Again.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/26/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lutfi
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times

Thank you Shirl. I appreciate the sentiment.

I do wonder why you and others on these forums jump to judging people for how much research they may or may not have done. My two cents: 1) NOT helpful as a response to an emotional reaction, 2) Not supportive when there is nothing that can be done about what one did or didn't do in the past--part of the point of these forums is to help people get the information they need, whether they've read it or not already AND whether they've should have done so or not, 3) My research and how my medical staff prepped me is known only to me and them...not random people on these forums.

But I do appreciate the sentiment. The delivery was a just a little harsh.

Starting weight 398
    pre-op weight- 378
    1 month out- 355
    2 month out-
    3 month out-
    4 month out-
    5 month out-
    6 month out-
    7 month out-
    8 month out-
    9 month out-
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

I do wonder why you and others on these forums jump to judging people for how much research they may or may not have done. My two cents: 1) NOT helpful as a response to an emotional reaction, 2) Not supportive when there is nothing that can be done about what one did or didn't do in the past--part of the point of these forums is to help people get the information they need, whether they've read it or not already AND whether they've should have done so or not, 3) My research and how my medical staff prepped me is known only to me and them...not random people on these forums.

Seriously!? You thought Shirl's response was harsh?!

Dude.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member Merry Mary's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    09/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 217 Times in 151 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

I am 5 weeks post-op. I am well into "soft foods" with only one more week to "regular" diet. I have to say I'm a little sick of protein only. However, it is often really uncomfortable to eat. Sometimes I just don't want to try. It's not pain exactly, but like a trapped burp. Has any one else experienced this? Honestly, it's kind of depressing me. I don't want to live not liking to eat. I have some theories, but wanted to hear was others have experienced. I see the doc next week for my 6 week check up and could wait 'til then or even email the nurse. I want to hear from real people first.
    !
    You had 85% of your stomach removed. Yes you need to gradually reintroduce foods into your diet. When you do try something new I'd suggest just one new food item at a time so you know what your stomach likes and doesn't like (i.e. Tossed Salad with tuna) if it's your first time for both lettuce and tuna and you eat them together, one of them may not sit well in your stomach but you won't know if it was the tuna or the lettuce.

Not wanting to eat happens to a lot of folks. Make sure you're getting your fluids(water), vitamins and protein. I'm sure there are plenty of people years out from surgery that wish they didn't want to eat.
    HW - 394
    SW - 366
    One year post op - 191
    Goal - 177 met 16 months post op
    Current - 174

220 lost since June 19, 2014

17. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Shirl was totally helpful. If you don't want advice from veterans, I suggest you don't ask for it.

At 6 weeks I tried chicken and it was uncomfortable. I still can't eat much meat, I feel the restriction, even after over 3 years. I can eat quite a bit of fish, it is so much softer and easier on the tummy.

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Forrester
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts

can you give more info? Are you eating a whole scrambled egg and getting uncomfortable? Are you getting uncomfortable after 1 bite? Are you taking a really small bite, like the size of a pencil eraser and chewing it well? Waiting a bit between bites? Around that time it would take me a good half hour to have like half a scrabled egg.

Surgery Day Weight 1/11: 300
    Month 1: -34 pounds, -25 inches

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

It'll be a while before you can eat comfortably but I am almost 7 months post op and enjoy my meals....even if they are still pretty small. If you eat slowly, take your time chewing, and allow yourself to stop when you feel fool you will be better off. It definitely gets better though. The first few months at the hardest.

23. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

You think Shirl's response was harsh? You ain't seen nothing yet. Shirl is one of the sweetest folks on here outside of Ann2. Always helpful and always very even in her responses. As a matter of point, I do not agree with her approach to post op life, but, I do respect it. It works for her and she's demonstrated great results. You'd be well served to shut your yapper and consider what she has to say.

Now for my response to your post.

1) NOT helpful as a response to an emotional reaction,

Take a step back and understand that the folks responding to your post are capable and allowed to post an emotional response to your emotional post. You want help? Well, let me tell you. Ragging on a regular contributor ain't the way to garner any support on here at all. Not that you appear to want it.

2) Not supportive when there is nothing that can be done about what one did or didn't do in the past--part of the point of these forums is to help people get the information they need, whether they've read it or not already AND whether they've should have done so or not,

Instead of typing three paragraphs detailing what this board has been about in the damn near five years I've been here, I'll skip forward and just say that you haven't earned enough credibility on here to lecture what this forum should and shouldn't be about. The point of this forum is not to wet nurse insolent newbies with thin skin. It's to answer questions and offer advice. The only thing I can say without doubt concerning this forum is that we are not about suppressing opinions. If you serve up an observation or opinion, you had better be prepared to have it served right back atcha.

3) My research and how my medical staff prepped me is known only to me and them...not random people on these forums.

My research shows that the folks complaining the loudest are the ones with the greatest degree of unattainable expectations. What the hell did you think you were going to be doing five weeks out? Shirl's response was spot on concerning your current condition. So, now that you've alluded to the fact that your medical staff prepped you well, you need to tell us what they told you to expect.

Let me save you the time because I already know. So does every other vet on here. What they told you is the same thing every other surgeon in every other clinic in every other country on God's little green earth tells every other sleever pre and post op. Their advice should be taken as that. Advice. It ain't the gospel because we are all different and because we are all different, each of us is going to experience a unique trip down the loser's path.

Your obligation during the first two or three months post op is to RESEARCH THE HELL OUT OF POST OP LIFE. Ask questions, accept answers, adopt the approaches that you think might work best for you, and then be open to changing it all up once or twice along the way.

Oh....and one last thing. Know your place.

25. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    12-21-2018 09:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 774 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 169 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,104 Times

If this has been discussed elsewhere, please point me to it. There are just too many posts on here to read through them all at once.

Thanks!
    Hello there!
    Ok, so don't worry, you will be able to eat again without pain! It's going to take a little while. I had 2.5 months of major complications I thought would never end, but they did. At first it hurt to eat, but it hardly ever hurts now, I'm 5 months out, surgery date was 1/3/17. At first I was so pissed too! I was like, is this my new normal? But don't worry it's not! I can now eat a very small plate of food, but this I mean 6 small bites. I split that up into a meal, eat slowly and enjoy it. I can now eat enough to satisfy my head as well as my body, but I still really can't eat very much. You will get there, give it time. I was feeling really dumb for awhile, I had my surgery in Mexico, came back, and spent 2.5 months in and out of the hospital with 2 leaks and a blood clot in my liver. I was really thinking, what did I do to myself? But now I'm really happy, losing weight, and I feel great! I'm shopping in my closet, because a lot of my clothes are fitting again. You will start to reap the benefits soon! What you are experiencing both mentally and physically will get much better, I promise! If you have any questions or want to chat feel free to PM me! Hang in there, I regretted my surgery at first also, but not now...

27. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/26/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lutfi
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times

To my point...forums like this should be about supporting each other in this journey...not about criticizing their opinions. Feel free to disagree with my opinion, but no need to be rude. That is my point. As I said, Shirl's was not the first response telling someone who was upset that they must have done it wrong. She just happens to be the one to whom I responded, because it was directed at me. I see this everyday in my job. How we say things is easily as important as what we say.

Starting weight 398
    pre-op weight- 378
    1 month out- 355
    2 month out-
    3 month out-
    4 month out-
    5 month out-
    6 month out-
    7 month out-
    8 month out-
    9 month out-