05/08/2017
    Last Activity
    06-14-2017 03:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Am I the only one???

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post
    Are you eating solid proteins? I think you experience less hunger when you eat more meat. I can tell you that I felt a lot of hunger in the beginning but a lot of it was mental and some was because I was eating so little that I had to eat more frequently. I would use a bite of a low carb, high protein bar to stave off hunger. You could also have acid reflux, which will mimic hunger pangs in the beginning. Request a good antacid from your PCP. You could also be experiencing head hunger. We are so used to eating that it is a lot mental hunger in the beginning. You could also be thirsty.
    Yes eating all protein solids, I'm on 2 different reflux meds and my water bottle never leaves my side. Maybe you're right about being used to eating. I'm hoping it will sub side

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Please follow the rules, especially those first 6 weeks when your tummy is healing. That is no time to eat something not on your approved food list.

4. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Brad Watkins
    Last Activity
    01-06-2021 03:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 160 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 149 Times

I totally still get hungry! Even right after surgery! Some of it may not be physical hunger, just the feeling like you need to eat, or have something to do with your hands. I've noticed that now that I am 6 weeks out, I don't feel as hungry anymore. I think it's because I can eat more solid foods now, not just liquids.

Quote Originally Posted by JMS99 View Post
    Thank you all for your input. I would lying if I said I didn't struggle everyday. Does anyone else still have hunger pains? I wad under the impression that you didn't really experience those with the sleeve.

Gastric Sleeve Member Melissa888's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2016
    Surgeon
    Mark Antonetti
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 52 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 61 Times

OK, I'll be honest with you, it is to early to eat what you have been eating!! Very dangerous for your sleeve. Please follow the rules, your stomach has not healed.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Redmustang812's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/27/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr.Dahman
    Last Activity
    09-23-2018 07:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 86 Times

Hello,
    This is a support group as well as a forum with people who can Identify with what your are going through and your journey getting there, don't beat yourself up about it just get back on track. I have not had my surgery yet, in fact I have another appointment tomorrow but I am scared to death of developing complications post op. I work as a nurse in the ICU and have cared for several patients who have developed serious complications due to non-compliance with their post-op diet. Your sleeve is still new and you can still have a leak. Please, Please take care of yourself and listen to your doctor, some complications are life threatening and irreversible.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Some are yes but some are 4.99 - but for me even at 5 years out the 12 dollar one lasts me for 3 meals

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries

Some are yes but some are 4.99 - but for me even at 5 years out the 12 dollar one lasts me for 3 meals so I look at it that way.

AZLADYRIDER, thank you for the links. Is it really 12 bucks for 1 meal??

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr byron
    Last Activity
    04-08-2019 08:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Quote Originally Posted by azladyrider View Post
    I think it was 3 months before I had a few bites of ice cream - maybe 6 months or more for pizza and even then it was a few bites of a slice not even a whole slice. But now's the time to rethink your eating and stop it. Too easy to slip back into old habits and then before you know it you will have failed the sleeve - it's you failing the sleeves purpose not the other way around. Even if you don't gain or stall from the ice cream and pizza that might well lead into thinking "hmm well that one time didn't hurt me so why not again?" then before you know it you are eating garbage again. There are alternatives to ice cream and pizza. Only eat the toppings not the crust - for ice cream sweet cravings I am hooked on these things https://www.familybariatric.com/stor...eyword=pudding SOOOO good - the cheesecake one here is amazing. One small pouch mixed with 4 ounces of water and there ya go - instant pudding small portions, low in carb and higher in protein. The mint chocolate is so so - the custard is good but the cheesecake is OMG gimme gimme lol Their meals are pretty good too - pantry storage https://www.familybariatric.com/cate...LIGHT-ENTREES/
    I love the pasta with tomato sauce here https://www.familybariatric.com/prod...asta-Parmesan/ Really good. I can eat about 1/3rd of one and I am stuffed. Ordered some of the others so we'll see on those.

I'm nearly 5 years out and just stopped at a QuikTrip and got a milkshake - even as far out as I am I drank maybe an inch of the entire shake and came home and dumped it in the sink.
    Wow thank you for that....what a great choice....im going to look up to see if there is something similiar in the uk 😊

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/13/2017
    Surgeon
    carson liu
    Last Activity
    08-17-2018 12:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times
    Blog Entries

@azladyrider that's not to much Sodium to consume?

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr byron
    Last Activity
    04-08-2019 08:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I am 3 weeks post op and for the most part have felt fine. I admit that I have cheated a couple of times with what I ate. I've had a couple slices of frozen pizza, so they weren't big slices and I've also had an ice cream cone. Has anyone else cheated on their diet? I'm scared that the small amount I did cheat is going to make the surgery fail. Also, I now have very loud and very active bowel sounds that alert me that I'm about to have diarrhea. I'm not sure why this happening or if this is normal. I've had over 10 episodes today which has been the worst so far. Anyone feedback would be wonderful!
    I didnt cheat for about 18 months....then i wouldnt call it a cheat as this is a lifestyle change id been fancying cake for ages i no im not going to spend the rest off my life not eating things i like....i had a small bit of cake and loved it....but that was it id had it..no more craving. I also find a lot off crap i use to eat just does not appeal to me any more.
    If you dont stop you could be in big trouble especially as your only 3 weeks out....your pouch has not healed which could be very dangerous...if you have no self control now ....then you are really going to struggle...you had this op for a reason....make the most off the tool you now have....good luck

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Nikki
    Surgery date
    08/21/2017
    Surgeon
    Trace Curry
    Last Activity
    07-22-2018 06:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I commend you for coming forward with your cheats. Not that I encourage it or condone it. But this whole process is a healing process. And hopefully you bringing that forward, and getting feed back will help you to understand how dangerous and off track you have become. It's so hard, this whole journey is. I do not have hunger, or at least lasting hunger. But mental hunger is a real thing. Obviously we have all suffered from bad relationships with food, or we wouldn't be here. The one piece of advise that I feel has helped me, is if I feel hunger, I drink first. After waiting 30-40 min if I still feel hunger then I eat. Good luck on your journey.

19. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-05-2018 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 285 Times
    Was Thanked 245 Times in 196 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 567 Times
    Blog Entries

Well... I have found myself nibbling on slider foods that I know I should not touch but have found that solid protein hurts my stomach and the soft sliders do not. With that said, I knew I had to do something so I am drinking my protein shakes (2 each day to get in 60g protein) and trying really, really hard to get in my daily requirements of protein and the liquids that I need each day. Surprise, surprise ~ I feel better in general.

My opinion... The sleeve is not a diet (if I could diet, I would not have needed the sleeve) and if I have a bite of pizza... I did not blow my diet.... Honestly, I took a bite of pizza and threw it back up. But when I signed up for my sleeve, I wanted a better quality of life. I have lost 42 pounds so far. I want to get in healthy nutrition each day and find ways to incorporate movement to enhance my life... not to follow a diet plan but to LIVE!!!!!

You are not the only one... but you don't want to "live" in a place of bad decisions. I think the diarrhea you are now experiencing is telling you that that was not a good option for you. Live, Learn and Make Better Choices xo

21. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I would say no cheating that first 6 weeks after surgery. They give you a schedule of foods you should be eating each week. The reason is your stomach is healing from major surgery, and at 3 weeks I don't think those stitches are ready for pizza, no matter how much you chew. After 6 weeks I would say if you want the rare piece of pizza and it isn't affecting your weight loss, go for it. But for now follow your schedule.

I was on liquids (including protein drinks) for weeks one and two, soft foods week three, and new foods added each week after that until I was cleared for all foods at 6 weeks.

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pleatman
    Last Activity
    01-08-2018 09:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Your maintenance is amazing, azladyrider! What do you think has helped you the most to be so successful? I just want to do everything so that if I have the surgery I never gain the weight back.