Surgery date
    05/08/2017
    Last Activity
    06-14-2017 03:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Am I the only one???

I am 3 weeks post op and for the most part have felt fine. I admit that I have cheated a couple of times with what I ate. I've had a couple slices of frozen pizza, so they weren't big slices and I've also had an ice cream cone. Has anyone else cheated on their diet? I'm scared that the small amount I did cheat is going to make the surgery fail. Also, I now have very loud and very active bowel sounds that alert me that I'm about to have diarrhea. I'm not sure why this happening or if this is normal. I've had over 10 episodes today which has been the worst so far. Anyone feedback would be wonderful!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    04/17/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bertha
    Last Activity
    08-28-2018 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 102 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times

Default Re: Am I the only one???

I have not cheated, for 3 reasons:
    1. I can't. even if I wanted to, I can barely eat anything before I'm full so I'd never be able to eat much of something I shouldn't be eating anyway.
    2. I'm enjoying the ease of this weight loss too much to eat bread and sweets. It's not that hard to stick to a diet like this.
    3. I don't want to get sick. As it is, if I over eat im in pain, so it's not worth it.

you worked hard to get this surgery, I'm guessing.... I think it's ok to make a mistake, but learn from it, forgive yourself, and be careful next time.

Highest weight: 257
    Starting weight: 252.4
    Month 1: -20 (232.4)
    Month 2: -9.4 (223)
    Month 3: -11 (212)
    Month 4: -11.6 (200.4)
    Month 5: -8 (192.4)
    Month 6: -7.6 (185.8)
    Month 7: -5.2 (180.2)
    Month 8: -5.4 (174.8)
    Month 9: -3.8 (171)
    Month 10: -5 (166)
    Month 11: -3.4 (162.6)
    ONE YEAR: -1.4 (161.2) Total loss: 95.8 pounds!
    Month 13: -3 (158.2)

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

I think it was 3 months before I had a few bites of ice cream - maybe 6 months or more for pizza and even then it was a few bites of a slice not even a whole slice. But now's the time to rethink your eating and stop it. Too easy to slip back into old habits and then before you know it you will have failed the sleeve - it's you failing the sleeves purpose not the other way around. Even if you don't gain or stall from the ice cream and pizza that might well lead into thinking "hmm well that one time didn't hurt me so why not again?" then before you know it you are eating garbage again. There are alternatives to ice cream and pizza. Only eat the toppings not the crust - for ice cream sweet cravings I am hooked on these things https://www.familybariatric.com/stor...eyword=pudding SOOOO good - the cheesecake one here is amazing. One small pouch mixed with 4 ounces of water and there ya go - instant pudding small portions, low in carb and higher in protein. The mint chocolate is so so - the custard is good but the cheesecake is OMG gimme gimme lol Their meals are pretty good too - pantry storage https://www.familybariatric.com/cate...LIGHT-ENTREES/
    I love the pasta with tomato sauce here https://www.familybariatric.com/prod...asta-Parmesan/ Really good. I can eat about 1/3rd of one and I am stuffed. Ordered some of the others so we'll see on those.

I'm nearly 5 years out and just stopped at a QuikTrip and got a milkshake - even as far out as I am I drank maybe an inch of the entire shake and came home and dumped it in the sink.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Elle
    Surgery date
    11/02/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Um
    Last Activity
    01-19-2018 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 126 Times
    Was Thanked 96 Times in 75 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 94 Times
    Blog Entries

I think I had a piece of licorice and felt so horrible about it. You need to stop and think about why you did the surgery in the first place. We all make mistakes from time to time but you definitely don't want to get back to old habits. There are so many options out there that taste so good! Stay on track. Don't give up even when you think it's hard.

HW :326 BMI 50.3
    PW :288 BMI 44.4
    SW:272 BMI 42.0
    9/2/17 198
    9/25/17 194

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/08/2017
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by elle77 View Post
    I think I had a piece of licorice and felt so horrible about it. You need to stop and think about why you did the surgery in the first place. We all make mistakes from time to time but you definitely don't want to get back to old habits. There are so many options out there that taste so good! Stay on track. Don't give up even when you think it's hard.
    Yes I would love some recepies. I'm getting bored with what little I know

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/13/2017
    Surgeon
    carson liu
    Last Activity
    08-17-2018 12:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times
    Blog Entries

Try to stay on track especially right now it should be easy because you cant consume a lot of food. Just don't buy or have anything near you that would be bad for your diet. Good luck stay strong.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/08/2017
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

AZLADYRIDER, thank you for the links. Is it really 12 bucks for 1 meal??

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Tracey
    Surgery date
    03/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Verboonen
    Last Activity
    05-24-2018 10:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 47 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I admit, I tried a bit of just a frozen pizza at about four weeks out and it just tasted gross to me thankfully. I didn't have anything prepped for lunch and I still had one in my freezer from prior to surgery. Pizza was always one of my favorite foods. I just about lived off of it. I did have a slice of a pizza that my husband ordered at about two months and was able to enjoy but am very careful not to let that habit sneak back on me. I think the fact that I can eat so little of anything has helped me keep some of these bad habits at bay. The waste I would have if I ordered in makes me feel to guilty. I have never been one for sweets so that has been no issue for me. In fact now I find many things too sweet, but the carbs are a bad habit for me when it comes to a snack. I will have the odd granola or protein bar which tend to be really high in carbs and I tend to eat breaded chicken which I know I have to get a handle on before it gets too out of hand. I think the hardest thing is you have to start new eating habits after surgery so that they become normal for you. Forget about how and what you used to eat in the past. It has to become a lifestyle change. Don't feel defeated if you cheat just know that it is a one time thing, move on and break the habit of turning to your old comfort foods. It is hard to do at first because you are so uncomfortable that you turn to junk as your comfort food for all the pain and discomfort you have been feeling and tend to use it as a reward. A big part of it is learning not to use food as a reward to yourself.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tuesday2 View Post
    I have not cheated, for 3 reasons:
    1. I can't. even if I wanted to, I can barely eat anything before I'm full so I'd never be able to eat much of something I shouldn't be eating anyway.
    2. I'm enjoying the ease of this weight loss too much to eat bread and sweets. It's not that hard to stick to a diet like this.
    3. I don't want to get sick. As it is, if I over eat im in pain, so it's not worth it.

you worked hard to get this surgery, I'm guessing.... I think it's ok to make a mistake, but learn from it, forgive yourself, and be careful next time.
    I could COPY AND PASTE the exact things you wrote, Tuesday 2.
    I have not cheated... I can't even imagine doing it. I can barely get down the few things I CAN eat, and I worked too damn hard to get to this point.

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

It is pretty early to be falling back into bad habits. I think for me what kept, and keeps, me on track is knowing that I can eat very little so I have to provide my body with the most nutrient dense foods that I can. It makes no sense for me to fill up on nutrient void foods. That being said, I don't think you can never eat those items again. Moderation is key. But right now your focus should definitely be protein and veggies. The sleeve is but a tool that if we don't use it properly then we will ultimately fail. I have noticed that the people who come back on here after a few years that have gained weight back seem to be the ones who generally eat what ever they want. I do applaud you for recognizing and owning your mistakes. Good luck!

17. Said thanks:

Name
    hmmmmm I wonder
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Romanelli
    Last Activity
    01-09-2018 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 370 Times in 237 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 96 Times
    Blog Entries

I have not cheated as I am [U]not[U] on a diet. I followed my NUTs instructions eating the foods allowed to me at each stage. After 60 days I entered stage 5 which is the permanent stage in our program and this opens us to all foods. They ask we limit fatty foods try and stay low carb and low sugar which is easy to do. It doesn't stop me from having 1 slice of pizza if I want to and yes 1 slice is very filling. I think thinking of this as a diet for me is the wrong thing to do I see it more as I changed my eating lifestyle. Gone are my high carb high sugar meals replaced with mass quantities of protein veggies and fruits.

Starting weight 328
    pre-op weight- 298
    1 month out- 262
    2 month out- 244
    3 month out- 227
    4 month out- 215
    5 month out- 203
    6 month out- 195
    7 month out- 194 in 1 month stall
    8 month out- 192
    9 month out-190
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

19. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ewing
    Last Activity
    10-10-2018 06:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 78 Times
    Was Thanked 194 Times in 158 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 259 Times

It seems to me that the main thing to be concerned about it causing a leak, you are not healed. Be well and try to stay on track for your health.

A

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/08/2017
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you all for your input. I would lying if I said I didn't struggle everyday. Does anyone else still have hunger pains? I wad under the impression that you didn't really experience those with the sleeve.

22. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Cheating at this point isn't just a weight loss issue, it's a life or death issue. Your stomach is held together with a row of tiny staples. The fact that you are willing to risk a leak for some pizza shows you need some serious help. Please stop eating stuff that could get you killed. As for the ice cream, that's just plain old self sabotage. Again, a very big red flag that you need to seek counseling. A mental health professional can help you with your food addiction. Without the psychological changes, your surgery will be a complete waste of time and money.

As for the hunger pains, it could be acid or thirst. Start taking a PPI and drink more water. If you truly are hungry, eat protein.

Sorry for the "tough love", but your story is one I've read dozens of times with the usual ending....failure to reach goal and regain of any loss.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMS99 View Post
    Thank you all for your input. I would lying if I said I didn't struggle everyday. Does anyone else still have hunger pains? I wad under the impression that you didn't really experience those with the sleeve.
    Are you eating solid proteins? I think you experience less hunger when you eat more meat. I can tell you that I felt a lot of hunger in the beginning but a lot of it was mental and some was because I was eating so little that I had to eat more frequently. I would use a bite of a low carb, high protein bar to stave off hunger. You could also have acid reflux, which will mimic hunger pangs in the beginning. Request a good antacid from your PCP. You could also be experiencing head hunger. We are so used to eating that it is a lot mental hunger in the beginning. You could also be thirsty.

25. Said thanks: