10/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bellanger
    Last Activity
    07-11-2023 09:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default How much more are you planning on losing?

I am 7 months post surgery and have lost 70 pounds. When I had my 6 month appointment with my surgeon, he said that I was considered a success by his standards because I'd lost 78% of my excess body weight. (He says that their goal is 70%.) I have been very careful to watch my diet, in fact I don't think of how I eat as a diet at all, it's just how I eat. Anyway, I'd like to lose 30 more pounds if I'm able to, but if not, it's okay because I feel great. Because of my height, (5'7") 173 pounds really looks dramatically thinner. I've gone from a size 24 to a size 14. Because I didn't tell anyone about my surgery, people are beginning to ask how much more am I planning to lose. (Like it's any of their business anyway.) I just tell them that I am not on a diet, but have made a lifestyle change. In reality, I'm just wondering if anyone has had to deal with these types of questions and how do you respond?

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How much more are you planning on losing?

Great to hear from you! Congratulations!!! That's awesome! I have been losing so slowly that no one really says anything anymore.

I feel great too, and I am like you (just under 5'7" and 170ish) I also would like to lose another 30lbs. I know it will be discipline and sweat and tears from here on.

Did you ever make it to L.A.? How was your vacation?
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

Congratulations on your weight loss! I have lost 78 pounds total since December when I started the weight loss required nutrtition classes, and 36 since surgery in March. I am very happy with the results right now, but would like to drop another 20 if I can. I am 5"8 and went from a size 22 down to (it varies on manufacturer) size 8/10 in athletic shorts and am now in "L" tops (compared to 2x and 3x). I have completely changed my eating habits over the last 5 months, and am now just beginning to eat food again and am not worried about eating the wrong things, so I know more weight will come off.

I have come to realize I can't listen to anything my surgeon recommends (along with his nutritionist) because everything I hear from them both is SO opposite of things I read up on pertaining to after surgery. (I can compile a novella on the subject!)

I think as long as you keep on track, you will lose what you want to lose. That's how I am going from here on out.
    Oh, and I wasn't going to share with anyone about my surgery, at all (besides my husband, kids) and then at 2 weeks post op, I had posted a picture and all my fb people commented on 'What are you doing? How are you losing so much?" I am not a good liar and knew if I started omitting things ( like having surgery), I'd look like a giant bufoon when it got out. So I blogged about it on my blog site, posted it to fb and am SO happy I did. I have gotten so much support from everyone, and have opened up dialogue about WLS and obesity. For me, it was the right move.

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

That is awesome. Did you ever think you would hear success and weight loss in the same sentence about yourself?? I know I wouldn't have. As for the questions, I do get them a lot. I am only 4'11" so the weight loss on me is pretty drastic. (64 lbs post op and 84 lbs total) I tell people I have become more active because I walk a mile twice a day on my 2 breaks (which is true) and I eat a predominantly low carb lifestyle (also true). I have also said I work out at home...another truth. I do not share that I have had the surgery. I feel it is my business and I do not want to be judged. This is my personal decision to keep it to myself. I have told my very close friends and family and they are all supportive. When people ask me about how much I intend to lose I tell them that I am just trying to live a healthy lifestyle and not actively trying to lose weight. (Which is easy to say now since I figure I will only lose a few more pounds from here.) I do emphasize that it is not about weight loss for me but being active and eating healthy. And most people drop it at that. I mean, how can you argue with that logic?

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Exactly! There were quite a few people that I did tell privately - it wasn't so much the surgery it was the location of it being in Mexico that I just didn't wanna hear the lectures about. But anyway if people that only knew me slightly through the biker events saw me and commented I'd tell them I had the sleeve done. Never forget one nite a very close friend was sitting next to me and overheard me tell this guy and she later asked why I did tell him. I said ya know? # 1 I am not a liar and # 2 I know you are sitting right there listening to the conversation so I would feel like a total fraud and hypocrite if I said "Oh yeah I am eating better" which of course I was and still am but that wasn't the only reason I was losing weight.
    The funny thing out of this was I would hint at what I had done on FB but if there were people reading my comments that I didn't really know I wouldn't flat out say it. One day I finally did and OMG I got no less than 7 people private messaging me for details, where when how much etc. All 7 have now had it done plus a few spouses of those 7 - some make it known and some don't ... so be it. Not up to me to call them out.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertGal View Post
    Congratulations on your weight loss! I have lost 78 pounds total since December when I started the weight loss required nutrtition classes, and 36 since surgery in March. I am very happy with the results right now, but would like to drop another 20 if I can. I am 5"8 and went from a size 22 down to (it varies on manufacturer) size 8/10 in athletic shorts and am now in "L" tops (compared to 2x and 3x). I have completely changed my eating habits over the last 5 months, and am now just beginning to eat food again and am not worried about eating the wrong things, so I know more weight will come off.

I have come to realize I can't listen to anything my surgeon recommends (along with his nutritionist) because everything I hear from them both is SO opposite of things I read up on pertaining to after surgery. (I can compile a novella on the subject!)

I think as long as you keep on track, you will lose what you want to lose. That's how I am going from here on out.
    Oh, and I wasn't going to share with anyone about my surgery, at all (besides my husband, kids) and then at 2 weeks post op, I had posted a picture and all my fb people commented on 'What are you doing? How are you losing so much?" I am not a good liar and knew if I started omitting things ( like having surgery), I'd look like a giant bufoon when it got out. So I blogged about it on my blog site, posted it to fb and am SO happy I did. I have gotten so much support from everyone, and have opened up dialogue about WLS and obesity. For me, it was the right move.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

My goal was a normal BMI. Got there, but I'm at the high end of normal. I would love to lose 10 more pounds this summer.

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

The best answer is always the truth.

So...I always tell them the truth, but, only enough of the truth to shut them up.

Here's what I tell them.

I did it the old fashioned way. Portion Control and Exercise.

For 99% of folks, that will shut them up. I remember every time I saw someone I knew who had lost significant weight, I would want to know what their secret was. I was thinking that they discovered some easy way to lose weight and I wanted to know what that was. I wasn't interested in digging into their personal lives. Most folks feel the same way.

For those that want details, I will give them details if I feel like it.

For most of us, we either know someone who was sleeved prior to our doing it, or, we know someone who knows someone. That's how we became interested. If the person is obese, I always tell them how I did it. If they are skinny to begin with, then I know that they are just prying. I will always take the time to talk to someone who is hopelessly obese because I remember just how helpless I felt prior to getting sleeved.

15. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

I didn't tell my family I was having surgery until the week before--husband (now ex-husband) included. Afterwards, I told my close friends and close colleagues. If you were just an acquaintance, I said that I was eating right and exercising.

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

I have never hid it from anyone. I never saw it as a detriment or a negative thing.

Some people have asked me some of those questions to and depending on my mood a give an answer. Just Sunday a person at church that I had not seen in about a year asked if I was OK. "of course, it is on purpose." Her response was that I looked good and congratulated me on my success then asked if I planned on losing anymore. My goal is another 15-20 pounds which is still overweight for a guy 6'2". I do however say if I did not lose another pound I am perfectly happy. Since I am doing a lot of work in the gym, I am holding pretty steady for the last couple of months but more importantly my waist size is shrinking. Men often face more health issues if your waist size is 40" or over. I just want to be comfortably below 40". More a normal size than being supersized.

Long story short, I think if you tell people that you are happy and not actively trying to lose more they will drop it and move on.

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

I honestly had never considered having surgery until a friend mentioned a mutual friend going to Mexico for the lapband and that set the wheels in my mind going.
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    The best answer is always the truth.

So...I always tell them the truth, but, only enough of the truth to shut them up.

Here's what I tell them.

I did it the old fashioned way. Portion Control and Exercise.

For 99% of folks, that will shut them up. I remember every time I saw someone I knew who had lost significant weight, I would want to know what their secret was. I was thinking that they discovered some easy way to lose weight and I wanted to know what that was. I wasn't interested in digging into their personal lives. Most folks feel the same way.

For those that want details, I will give them details if I feel like it.

For most of us, we either know someone who was sleeved prior to our doing it, or, we know someone who knows someone. That's how we became interested. If the person is obese, I always tell them how I did it. If they are skinny to begin with, then I know that they are just prying. I will always take the time to talk to someone who is hopelessly obese because I remember just how helpless I felt prior to getting sleeved.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bellanger
    Last Activity
    07-11-2023 09:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I'm from Louisiana, not L.A., perhaps you have me confused with someone else. I did go on vacation, and I lost two pounds! I think I do better when I'm out of my regular routine. Eating out is actually easy because I usually order a grilled meat and veggie or salad and I'm actively on the go without having to think about exercising. My family wants to go on a cruise in the future, and I thought the food aspect would be an issue, but not anymore. I plan on sticking to my eating plan and hopefully I'll lose there too.

21. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

southernmom, I love your last post. Just do your thing -- the thing that benefits your health and your goals. Let everyone else do their thing.

Re your initial post, I think your own weight loss goal really depends on things like your height, your proportions, how much you are comfortable eating (or not eating) when you reach your goal, etc. I'm going to bet, however, that you will wind up losing quite a bit more weight -- again, that depends on your height.

I never ever thought I'd wind up weighing 135 pounds. It still feels like a miracle. When I first got here I felt VERY skinny. TOO skinny. Your mind / eyes play funny tricks on you when you have not been at a normal weight for the last 40 years. But let me tell you -- I feel VERY normal-sized now. And not at all too skinny (I'm 5'5" tall).

That's a long-winded way of saying don't trust your feelings about what's too skinny when you first get there. Your brain and eyes will eventually catch up with your dress size. And eventually others will get used to the new you, too. And if they don't, that's not your problem.

Congratulations on your wonderful progress.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

23. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by southernmom View Post
    I'm from Louisiana, not L.A., perhaps you have me confused with someone else. I did go on vacation, and I lost two pounds! I think I do better when I'm out of my regular routine. Eating out is actually easy because I usually order a grilled meat and veggie or salad and I'm actively on the go without having to think about exercising. My family wants to go on a cruise in the future, and I thought the food aspect would be an issue, but not anymore. I plan on sticking to my eating plan and hopefully I'll lose there too.
    When I went on a cruise last year, I lost 5 lbs. when I got home! I went to the gym every morning and walked around like crazy. I also watched what I ate. I just stuck to protein and didn't go crazy on the desserts!

25. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-05-2018 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 285 Times
    Was Thanked 245 Times in 196 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 567 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm not telling the people in my life about my surgery right now because I am about 3 weeks pre-op and like azLadyrider, it is more about having my surgery in Mexico than anything else. I also feel like this is just something I am doing for myself. Having such a large family... it's like I am taking the reins of my own life and it is really not about anyone else... and I don't want to deal with their opinions... blah, blah, blah!!! LOL I believe honesty is the best policy too.. so afterwards, I definitely won't hide that I had sleeve surgery. In fact, everyone in my social circle will notice that I am not "celebrating" all the time and wonder if an alien has taken over my body. I really like Tinman's suggestions to give people just enough info to shut them down.. or at least to discern who you are talking to and what they really want from their questions about your weight-loss.

From where I am standing... I CAN'T WAIT to have that problem. I am so ready to get to the other side with all you veterans!

27. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GigiUSA View Post
    I'm not telling the people in my life about my surgery right now because I am about 3 weeks pre-op and like azLadyrider, it is more about having my surgery in Mexico than anything else. I also feel like this is just something I am doing for myself. Having such a large family... it's like I am taking the reins of my own life and it is really not about anyone else... and I don't want to deal with their opinions... blah, blah, blah!!! LOL I believe honesty is the best policy too.. so afterwards, I definitely won't hide that I had sleeve surgery. In fact, everyone in my social circle will notice that I am not "celebrating" all the time and wonder if an alien has taken over my body. I really like Tinman's suggestions to give people just enough info to shut them down.. or at least to discern who you are talking to and what they really want from their questions about your weight-loss.

From where I am standing... I CAN'T WAIT to have that problem. I am so ready to get to the other side with all you veterans!
    OMG! This was me exactly! I didn't want to hear anyone's opinions or fears. I had done my research and made up my mind--I didn't need anyone to dissuade me. You do what you feel is the best FOR YOU!

29. Said thanks:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast