Dr. Bovard
    Last Activity
    05-28-2017 05:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Question 38 days post op and regretting it

Hello,

I was sleeved (4/19/2017) 38 days ago and for the last 3 weeks have regretted it. I am miserable all the time. The only thing that doesn't make me sick or my stomach go crazy is cottage cheese and protein shakes. I use baby spoons, chew, and eat from a 1/4 cup measuring cup. Anything new I try makes my stomach churn and ache for hours. Im pissed at myself and flat out frustrated. Most frustrating part is I don't know how to describe what the heck my body is feeling so I don't know what to do about it. I dont know if Im hungry or what. I obsess more about food now than pre op. Every freaking article I read online has people saying they love it and its been easy sailing or I read people "shaming" people for regretting having it done. Ugh. Has anybody experienced similar feelings at 38 days post op?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sabrina
    Surgery date
    02/09/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jose Rodriguez Villarreal
    Last Activity
    03-05-2018 06:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 38 days post op and regretting it

My sister had the surgery also and she felt the same way ,its been over9 months since she had surgery and she says shes glad she had it done so ,she was so weak for 2 months she slowly started to feel better so i think you will feel better soon im having my surgery July 7 so its good if you read everyone's thoughts on how they feel then you will see your right in there with everyone else ,you will be OK .

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I did not feel that way but it does affect everyone differently. Most people who have complications regret it until they start to feel better. I am so sorry you are feeling so icky. Best of luck to you!

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Tommy1969's Avatar
    Name
    Tom
    Surgery date
    02/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tieu
    Last Activity
    06-07-2019 06:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 179 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times
    Blog Entries

Hang in there Holland it should get better as time goes by. Have you tried cream based soups? Are you on any special medications? Have you discussed any of this with your surgeon and/or nutritionist?

I found that "heavy" foods early on made me feel horrible. Had to stick with "pureed" type stuff for some time.

How about yogurt? Oiko's Triple Zero Greek yogurt has been a staple of mine.

I hope you feel better soon.

Original Weight - 479
    Day of Surgery - 459
    Month 1 - 438
    Month 2 - 418
    Month 3 - 409
    Month 6 - 389

8. Said thanks:

Name
    hmmmmm I wonder
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Romanelli
    Last Activity
    01-09-2018 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 370 Times in 237 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 96 Times
    Blog Entries

Everyone heals differently it could be you are just healing very slowly. As Tommy asked did you talk with your surgeon about the issues you are having? If not I would strongly suggest that you do. You may just have to do the whole protein shake stage for much longer then most had to. For me I did the protein shakes for my first 2 weeks post op as I wasn't able to get my protein in any other way. Best of luck to you.

Starting weight 328
    pre-op weight- 298
    1 month out- 262
    2 month out- 244
    3 month out- 227
    4 month out- 215
    5 month out- 203
    6 month out- 195
    7 month out- 194 in 1 month stall
    8 month out- 192
    9 month out-190
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    07/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-05-2018 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 285 Times
    Was Thanked 245 Times in 196 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 567 Times
    Blog Entries

I am sorry to hear you are having a rough time (hugs) I hope that you are feeling better very soon and are able to find support and suggestions here from others that have been through similar issues. Everyone is different. I hope in time and with healing you come to feel better about your decision for sleeve surgery.

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

I still remember at about a month out I was on the phone with a local gal who I had "met" out here and said I'd literally rather be dead than to live like how I felt at the time. She reminded me in no uncertain terms that I just had major surgery and it got better - it did and it took me 6 full months to feel energy and somewhat back to normal.

Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

I completely understand exactly what you are saying. Here I thought the 10 day liquid pre op diet was hard. The last 2 months since my surgery I think were even HARDER! No... I KNOW they were harder. Everyone is different and handles it in their own way, but I had a very difficult time. I MADE myself EAT more than the piddly amounts I have been sustaining on, just 2 days ago, and I know NOW that I CAN eat more. And still drop weight daily.(And by "eat more", I refer to eating 3 oz of grilled chicken or lean meat, protein, no snacking foods.) The cream soups (with non fat milk) were a Godsend to me. Something my surgeon and nutritionist said to NEVER, ever have. (Along with other BS they have filled my head with.) I am 9 weeks out now, and finally feel I am on track. But those first 2 months for me have been something I would never want to relive again.

It will get better in time. Hang in there.

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

If your nutritionist said to never have something then why? Just curious as I never had one to consult - I just followed the post op directions I got from the medical place in Mexico. What other BS do you feel they filled you up with?
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertGal View Post
    I completely understand exactly what you are saying. Here I thought the 10 day liquid pre op diet was hard. The last 2 months since my surgery I think were even HARDER! No... I KNOW they were harder. Everyone is different and handles it in their own way, but I had a very difficult time. I MADE myself EAT more than the piddly amounts I have been sustaining on, just 2 days ago, and I know NOW that I CAN eat more. And still drop weight daily.(And by "eat more", I refer to eating 3 oz of grilled chicken or lean meat, protein, no snacking foods.) The cream soups (with non fat milk) were a Godsend to me. Something my surgeon and nutritionist said to NEVER, ever have. (Along with other BS they have filled my head with.) I am 9 weeks out now, and finally feel I am on track. But those first 2 months for me have been something I would never want to relive again.

It will get better in time. Hang in there.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bovard
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times

Thanks for the reply. I see my surgeon next week. He just tells me to eat 6 meals a day.....pointless nonspecific advice. Im on omeprazole which has not decreased any of my symptoms. My nutritionist just tells me to take it slow, I do. Half of my anxiety comes from cookie cutter responses and non helpful interventions from the experts.I did start on Oikos yesterday to up my protein intake and that seemed to do okay. What are you considering "heavy" foods? The only foods I've other than pudding, yogurt, laughing cow cheese, protein shakes, and cottage cheese are tilapia and chicken and those are definite no goes. Sorry if I sound bitter all this is just getting to my head. I appreciate you advice

Michael

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bovard
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times

I have consulted my nutritionist and Dr. without any constructive advice.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bovard
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times

Thank you. I needed to hear that some people have been in the same boat as me. Gives me something to focus on other than being miserable for the rest of my life.

Gastric Sleeve Member Tommy1969's Avatar
    Name
    Tom
    Surgery date
    02/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tieu
    Last Activity
    06-07-2019 06:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 179 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hollandm2 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I see my surgeon next week. He just tells me to eat 6 meals a day.....pointless nonspecific advice. Im on omeprazole which has not decreased any of my symptoms. My nutritionist just tells me to take it slow, I do. Half of my anxiety comes from cookie cutter responses and non helpful interventions from the experts.I did start on Oikos yesterday to up my protein intake and that seemed to do okay. What are you considering "heavy" foods? The only foods I've other than pudding, yogurt, laughing cow cheese, protein shakes, and cottage cheese are tilapia and chicken and those are definite no goes. Sorry if I sound bitter all this is just getting to my head. I appreciate you advice

Michael
    I guess by heavy I meant dense like beef, tuna, etc. have you tried scrambled eggs too? I had pretty good luck with those. Also I drink hot green tea a couple times a day, seems to settle my stomach. I too take omeprazole daily, mainly because I also take Celebrex not for reflux. I am almost 4 months out. Just had a few shrimp and small serving of fried rice for lunch. Never would have tried that in first 2 months. I have even had a few wings in the past week. You'll get there!!!

Original Weight - 479
    Day of Surgery - 459
    Month 1 - 438
    Month 2 - 418
    Month 3 - 409
    Month 6 - 389

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

How you feel now is NOT how you will feel for "the rest of your life." There's nothing about 40'days post-op that resembles "the rest of your life."

Now, on to food ... have you tried refried beans with melted cheese?

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy1969 View Post
    I guess by heavy I meant dense like beef, tuna, etc. have you tried scrambled eggs too? I had pretty good luck with those. Also I drink hot green tea a couple times a day, seems to settle my stomach. I too take omeprazole daily, mainly because I also take Celebrex not for reflux. I am almost 4 months out. Just had a few shrimp and small serving of fried rice for lunch. Never would have tried that in first 2 months. I have even had a few wings in the past week. You'll get there!!!
    I was fortunate to experience zero complications post Sleeve Gastrectomy surgery, but that's not to say I didn't have discomforts. I experienced exactly what you are describing, sometimes I just imagined my tummy wringing and twisting when I ate. However, I was told by Bariatric nurses and my nutritionist that it may happen and it was to be a expected as the organ, after having nerve endings cut/severed, is healing. Those severed endings are trying to reconnect, so some of us if not most experience the discomfort you are describing in various ways. I was told it might feel like heart burn, which I never really experienced.

I was instructed to introduce new food one small bite at a time and to wait 3 minutes between bites to see how I'd react. It took a few wringing twists to stop me on my tracks and slow my eating. It wasn't fun at all, but just like I was informed it got easier the farther I got along. My understanding was that by three months post op stomach should be healed, for sure by six months and that's about the time I realized my stomach wasn't wringing and twisting at all.

I was eager to move through food stages, but when things didn't agree, like scramble eggs or creamed tuna, I just stuck longer with what worked. I was not able to eat eggs in any form until after 3 months, but funny enough I was able to eat lean (minced) meats way earlier than I was told. It made no sense then, nor does it still. I just figured it was part of physical process of the surgery. It was much easier than a root canal I went through 3.5 months ago! I'm still afraid to chew anything hard, like almonds, from the left side of my mouth.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)