Dr. Andrea Pakula
    Last Activity
    03-18-2018 06:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 130 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

Question Atkins Food

Hi,
    I just wanted to get everyone's opinion about Atkins diet food?

I was really excited when a friend told me about it, i seen that it was low carb. But i have another friend of mine who is completely against me doing the Atkins food. She said her doctor told her it was dangerous, she read this article on how it had supposedly caused two deaths and others had become very ill.

Any advice or opinions are most welcome.
    Thanks,
    K.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Elle
    Surgery date
    11/02/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Um
    Last Activity
    01-19-2018 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 126 Times
    Was Thanked 96 Times in 75 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 94 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Atkins Food

High protein, low carb will basically be your diet after surgery. I eat Atkins sometimes. When I don't have time to meal prep. Their Crustless chicken pot pie is super good. Do your research and talk to your Dr.
    Right now before your surgery start focusing on portion control and breaking bad habits. I had a 6 can plus soda problem. That I got rid of fast. I switched from Sugary soda to flavored mineral water. I started eating chicken. I would prepare chicken for the week and always had it ready in the fridge. Ralph's sells a zero carb greek dressing and it tastes so good! You don't need a lot. Cut up veggies, Cucumbers, tomatoes, add the shredded chicken and some feta cheese. There are many low carb- high protein options. Don't get me wrong. I still have fruit and everything else every now and then. My diet is high protien. 90-100 grams every day. I try to keep the carbs to a minimum. I'm losing weight and all of my labs are perfect. I personally do not see a problem with it.

HW :326 BMI 50.3
    PW :288 BMI 44.4
    SW:272 BMI 42.0
    9/2/17 198
    9/25/17 194

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Why are you taking nutritional, weight-loss advice from a friend who's advising you based on a single article that's 14 years old? There's been a lot of good research done about high-protein diets since then. Many folks (including some WLS patients) find that this kind of eating is what they need to lose weight and maintain their weight long term.

But no -- everyone who has WLS and is successful maintaining their weight is NOT eating low-carb, high-protein. Yes, some are eating that way. But I'm certainly not now (nearly 3 years post-op), and I didn't eat that way when I was losing weight.

There are eating principles (what you eat, how you eat, how much you eat, when you eat, etc.) that are common to most successful WLS patients. However, there's considerable variation in what people do eat. It depends on what their bodies respond to, their activity levels, their ages, genders, muscle mass, etc.

Here's a thread about what and how much WLS patients eat during maintenance that's getting some action right now: https://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/...ad.php?t=64963

Oh -- and what you eat and how much you eat will change considerably and often after you have WLS. How much and what you eat the first few months post-op is NOTHING like how much and what you eat a year or two or three or more years post-op.

Keep reading. There's so much to learn about all this.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

My nutritionist specifically said I could eat Atkins lift products. I only use them occasionally. But I do follow meat and veggies as my foods of choice. Traditional low carb diets get limited veggies. I do not eat fatty cuts of meat frequently and eat quite a bit of chicken and fish. My nutritionist said a low carb lifestyle is better after the sleeve.

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    Well, first, look at the date of that article you posted.

It's 14 years old.

LOL!
    Haha. I didn't even notice that!!!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member KristyDunson's Avatar
    Name
    Kristy
    Surgery date
    06/15/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Andrea Pakula
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 130 Times

Quote Originally Posted by elle77 View Post
    High protein, low carb will basically be your diet after surgery. I eat Atkins sometimes. When I don't have time to meal prep. Their Crustless chicken pot pie is super good. Do your research and talk to your Dr. Right now before your surgery start focusing on portion control and breaking bad habits. I had a 6 can plus soda problem. That I got rid of fast. I switched from Sugary soda to flavored mineral water. I started eating chicken. I would prepare chicken for the week and always had it ready in the fridge. Ralph's sells a zero carb greek dressing and it tastes so good! You don't need a lot. Cut up veggies, Cucumbers, tomatoes, add the shredded chicken and some feta cheese. There are many low carb- high protein options. Don't get me wrong. I still have fruit and everything else every now and then. My diet is high protien. 90-100 grams every day. I try to keep the carbs to a minimum. I'm losing weight and all of my labs are perfect. I personally do not see a problem with it.
    I know what you mean by 6-can soda problem, I use to be able to put it away too. But, then drinking it started making me sick, if i had more than 3/4 cans. Then having more than two made me sick. I came up with diabetes, I took me two years quit soda, it was a long hard process. Then this last February my A1C level topped out at 7.8. The Dr was angry & I was staying sick, my feet, legs, body just ached, all the time. It scared me. So I quit regular soda, replaced it with sparkling fruit water. Its been almost 5 months, I feel so much better. But, It was hard quiting sugar, its been hard period, I'm 26 days out from having any kind of sugar source. I have good days, bad, where i just crave it like crazy esp when my family eats it all around me.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be looking into them, trying them out. I've felt taking one day a week a preparing food for the week is a great idea. I've been trying to work on my portion intake since the Dr first mentioned the gastric bypass. a year and half. Its been a big struggle, but getting there. Its such a big under taking to just change your whole way of life and train of thought towards food. Especially since you've been drinking soda since you were 6 months old. Your dad can cook like a chief and of course makes all the wrong things. Has to bake or buy every possible sweet thing out there.

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Kristy
    Surgery date
    06/15/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Andrea Pakula
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 130 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    Why are you taking nutritional, weight-loss advice from a friend who's advising you based on a single article that's 14 years old? There's been a lot of good research done about high-protein diets since then. Many folks (including some WLS patients) find that this kind of eating is what they need to lose weight and maintain their weight long term.

But no -- everyone who has WLS and is successful maintaining their weight is NOT eating low-carb, high-protein. Yes, some are eating that way. But I'm certainly not now (nearly 3 years post-op), and I didn't eat that way when I was losing weight.

There are eating principles (what you eat, how you eat, how much you eat, when you eat, etc.) that are common to most successful WLS patients. However, there's considerable variation in what people do eat. It depends on what their bodies respond to, their activity levels, their ages, genders, muscle mass, etc.

Oh -- and what you eat and how much you eat will change considerably and often after you have WLS. How much and what you eat the first few months post-op is NOTHING like how much and what you eat a year or two or three or more years post-op.

Keep reading. There's so much to learn about all this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post
    My nutritionist specifically said I could eat Atkins lift products. I only use them occasionally. But I do follow meat and veggies as my foods of choice. Traditional low carb diets get limited veggies. I do not eat fatty cuts of meat frequently and eat quite a bit of chicken and fish. My nutritionist said a low carb lifestyle is better after the sleeve.
    Sorry ladies, I didn't realize it was that old, my friend just sent it to me yesterday. I told her about Atkins and she sort of just flipped out on me about it. But shes had a problem with me since i told her about the surgery a year ago. She seems to think I should get a hold of Chris Powell, that he will be able to save me. She don't realize that i'm pass that point medically. I need medical intervention. Or the Dr wouldn't have pushed for me to do it, in the first place. But article or no article, I really just wanted everyone's opinion on it.

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

My understanding is that there are several versions of Atkins and you have to be so ever careful and it is initial versions aren't sustainable long term and unless you are an athlete and weightlifter I would stay clear of high-fat diets. The concept is that you keep your carbs so low that your body has to burn the fat stores, you keep your proteins below or about the same as fats, but you must exercise like crazy in order for your cardiovascular system not to get plugged up with toxins from seeds and nuts that are highly recommended in this diet or with the bad fats most people eat with Atkins. Especially be careful with the Smoothie Bombs, those are recommended for professional weightlifters trying to get ripped. This is information I got from doing google searches.

Personally, I strive to keep a balanced nutrient dense way of eating concentrating on dense protein, then on complex carbs (leafy green vegetables, legumes, some whole grains like quinoa, seeds, and nuts to a healthy amount and low glycemic fruits.) whenever possible.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

16. Said thanks:

Name
    hmmmmm I wonder
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Romanelli
    Last Activity
    01-09-2018 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 370 Times in 237 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 96 Times
    Blog Entries

Atkins like any other food requires you to read the label. As far as he friend situation I have yet to run into that and I feel badly for those that do. I told all my friends and family that I was having WLS before I had it and I continue to tell people now that I have had it. I have yet to have a negative experience whether it is folks at my gym or people at my doctors office I've found them all to be supportive I guess I'm truly lucky in that area. Back to your question you can eat anything you want to eat just do it in moderation after you hit the solid food stage of your post op care.

Starting weight 328
    pre-op weight- 298
    1 month out- 262
    2 month out- 244
    3 month out- 227
    4 month out- 215
    5 month out- 203
    6 month out- 195
    7 month out- 194 in 1 month stall
    8 month out- 192
    9 month out-190
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

I'll grab Atkins once in awhile but not often. I've looked at the nutritional values and really not all that impressed

I did order from bariatricdirect.com and OMG the puddings are amazing - low carb and high protein. Perfect sizes for us for a snack at nite without the temptation of having a huge portion available to nibble on. One packet with 4 ounces of water and done.... the cheesecake is DA BOMB! The pizza mix BLEH NASTY HORRIBLE! They have some meals too and the asian ones are pretty good too.

20. Said thanks:

Name
    Kristy
    Surgery date
    06/15/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Andrea Pakula
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 130 Times

Thanks for being helpful, everyone. I greatly appreciate it!

22. Said thanks:

Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KristyDunson View Post
    Sorry ladies, I didn't realize it was that old, my friend just sent it to me yesterday. I told her about Atkins and she sort of just flipped out on me about it. But shes had a problem with me since i told her about the surgery a year ago. She seems to think I should get a hold of Chris Powell, that he will be able to save me. She don't realize that i'm pass that point medically. I need medical intervention. Or the Dr wouldn't have pushed for me to do it, in the first place. But article or no article, I really just wanted everyone's opinion on it.
    You will learn that not everyone is going to be supportive in your process. For this very reason a lot of people tend to keep their decision to be sleeved to themselves. I only told 4 close friends and my immediate family. I am sure some people suspect but honestly I don't care. My business. I only want to share with people I know will be supportive. I don't have time for the negative people in my life. I'm sorry your friend has been so abrasive.