Dr. Jose Rodriguez Villarreal
    Last Activity
    03-05-2018 06:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Unhappy PreOp burn out

i get my sleeve july 7 i start my pre op 10 days before ,i dont want to start it sooner cause my sister did she was totally burned out and was sick for 2 months after surgery and so weak but she went totally liquid very hungry but of couldnt eat cause it hurt to bad , the diet i get to do is something like atkins i feel i should start now but i really dont want to cause i know i wont be able to eat that way again am i being selfish?

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Bothsidesnow2017's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lahmann
    Last Activity
    05-13-2018 10:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: PreOp burn out

Does your doc do nutrition counseling prior? I would definitely not start preop until it's time ( in my case it was 2 weeks out).

Basically you should try to stick with lean protein and non starchy veggies. I however did have a few food funerals so don't beat yourself up over that!

I was sleeved Monday and it is so weird not to a) not want to eat and b) not miss food! Something clicked in for me when I started the preop diet... like I am DOING this so that I have a longer healthier life. Best to you on your journey.
    J.

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

I started my preop gradually 3-months in advance, and I had zero complications. So I doubt your sister's complications had anything to do with her starting prepping beforehand. In fact, I have read studies completely the opposite of your statement, it seems the more you lose before surgery the lesser the risks post surgery.

There is no standardized preop procedure, and if you are in the forum long enough you will eventually read of extreme preops requirements to nothing at all except stop eating at midnight before surgery day.

I wanted the best possible outcome for myself, so I did everything in my power to get ready for this life altering surgery in body, mind and spirit. I'm very happy I did.

I had a few meals that felt like food funerals and in retrospect if I knew then what I know now I would have not wasted precious time stressing about not being able to eat. Because trust me I am only a year out and I can eat anything anytime anywhere!

Discipline and self-parenting skills have been very useful to stay on program.

Do not do something because of someone else's experience... do what you want to do for you! This is your journey and your decision go forward with all the best possible knowledge and skills that will make YOU succeed.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

7. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sabrina
    Surgery date
    02/09/2018
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you but no I don't have a nutritionist I'm having surgery in Mexico she gave me a list to go by kinda like Atkins but I see a lot of people on a liquid diet so I was just wondering thanks again I would like to know how you are doing I'm excited can't wait to get it done and congratulations

Name
    Sabrina
    Surgery date
    02/09/2018
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you for that I need insight on this

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    07/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-05-2018 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 285 Times
    Was Thanked 245 Times in 196 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 567 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Sabrina, I have struggled to get started and do a self-imposed pre-op diet as I had hoped. I have had a few "food funerals" and decided not to beat myself up over it.

For surgery I am required to do a 5 day liquid prep pre-op. I read on a site post here from Ghost_Ryder, that an option to get going was to start with a protein shake each day for breakfast and then after a week do a protein shake each day at breakfast and lunch with a lean dinner. I'm going to add in a 30 minute walk each day and 6-8 glasses of water daily and I will be getting my body ready for surgery. I am a little over 30 days away. I want to make the most of this 3 day weekend and buy protein shakes and meal prep. I want to get organized and carve out some time in my life for me. I wish you success in your weightloss journey!!!!

We are on the same track!!!! Hope we can share and sit new to each other on the LOSER bench!!!! Yay!!!

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Thumbs up Re: PreOp burn out

Quote Originally Posted by GigiUSA View Post
    Hi Sabrina, I have struggled to get started and do a self-imposed pre-op diet as I had hoped. I have had a few "food funerals" and decided not to beat myself up over it.

For surgery I am required to do a 5 day liquid prep pre-op. I read on a site post here from Ghost_Ryder, that an option to get going was to start with a protein shake each day for breakfast and then after a week do a protein shake each day at breakfast and lunch with a lean dinner. I'm going to add in a 30 minute walk each day and 6-8 glasses of water daily and I will be getting my body ready for surgery. I am a little over 30 days away. I want to make the most of this 3 day weekend and buy protein shakes and meal prep. I want to get organized and carve out some time in my life for me. I wish you success in your weightloss journey!!!!

We are on the same track!!!! Hope we can share and sit new to each other on the LOSER bench!!!! Yay!!!
    Congratulations Gigi on making such positive steps before surgery. It will make a big difference on how you feel afterwards.I did what your doing and had zero complications and afterwards have had no problems following my new way of eating. I crave heathy food instead of bad. I lost 23lbs before surgery. I'm also happy with my weight loss after. Only recommendation I have is after your off restrictions your put in after surgery. Have a consult with a Nutritionist, She was very helpful. She looked over how I was eating and made sure I was doing the program correctly and if I have any questions I can call her. She gave me some great information too. Good Luck to you.
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Hi there, I would start preparing for your surgery ahead of time. Each doctor seems to order different pre-op diet. It's important wants that starts to do it exactly like he orders. A lot of commplications arise because they cheated NOT always but I have seen it happen more than once. I recommend having a consultation with a nutritionist after your off restrictions and your putting together your in meals. They will have you do a food diary and make sure your eating right and they will teach you a lot. I also attend a group support group for Bariatric people once a month. That has been very helpful and I love have tools for success in my pocket sort of speak. Good Luck with your journey
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I only did 9 days of pre op. The first 6 were 2 shakes a day and a meal of lean protein and veggies. Then the 3 days immediately pre op were liquids only. I can tell you that I did not start earlier than that. And I have had no issues. I don't think it is a big deal to not start earlier but if you do start eating healthier pre op (without a full on diet) it can definitely help you get your mind right about life post op. What I mean is that while the sleeve can help you lose weight....you need to get new, healthy eating habits. The people who don't eat healthy usually will eventually gain weight back. Not saying you have to give up everything but definitely start breaking some bad habits now. Limit sweets and junk food, stop drinking soda, don't overeat...etc.

Name
    Sabrina
    Surgery date
    02/09/2018
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you I appreciate your Insight I don't drink soda but I do eat sweets I've quit eating sweets before so I know I could do it again thank you very much for your help

Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

I worked up to a full pre-op diet and no problems. Replace breakfast with a protein shake/bar after a few weeks replace a couple of lunches then a couple more until all your lunches and breakfasts are replacements. As always, eat a good lean dinner.

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115

18. Said thanks: