Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    02-22-2024 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Was Thanked 771 Times in 544 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gaining weight!!

"In other words, it ain't what you're eating...it's how much of it you're eating."

That's what my gramma always used to say!!!

she also said, "the best way to lose weight is to shut your mouth!" hahaha!

HW: 275
    PreOp: 268 5/12/16

SW: 258. 5/27/2016
    10 w: 225. Goal 1
    12 w: 222.
    14 w: 216.
    4 m: 215
    5 m: 205
    22: 199.4 10/30 Goal 2
    24: 196
    6 mo: 191
    7 m: 193
    8 m: 184
    9 m: 180 2/3/17. Goal 3
    10 m: 179
    11 m: 171
    48: 170
    1 yr: 166.6. 5/27/17
    13 m: 165.8
    5 y,10 m: 215
    7 yrs: 230

Revised Goal : 200
    "Bonus" Goal: 180

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    In other words, it ain't what you're eating...it's how much of it you're eating.
    Bingo...Tinman hit the nail on the head with this nugget of wisdom.

The more I restrict, the more intensely I crave. So I don't restrict. If I want a double quarter pounder with cheese from McDonald's (53 grams of protein) or four fried chicken strips from Chick Fil-A (48 grams of protein), I eat them shamelessly.

And guess what? I have maintained a low body weight eating food that most would deem "naughty."

Here's my caveat...my indulgences tend to be packed with protein. It is almost impossible to overeat animal-based protein because it's so filling. A sleever can eat a dozen of donuts in one sitting without ever feeling full (read: overeating), but will never be able to eat a dozen chicken thighs due to the dense protein content.

I also keep my total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) high to facilitate more freedom with food choices. I accomplish this by moderate to high intensity exercise, namely running. I also lift free weights. I'd rather work out than restrict.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

5. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I feel your pain, I'm up 5 pounds from goal. Just have to get back on track following every rule, exercising, and NO JUNK. I still feel total restriction after 3 1/2 years when I eat the right stuff. (Meat, fish, nuts, etc.). But I feel absolutely no restriction if I eat chips. cake, or cookies. So we all know what to do, and how we can get fat again if we don't watch what we put in our mouth.

My other suggestion for maintenance is daily weighing, so 5 pounds doesn't turn into 15 and then 25, etc. Maintenance is SO MUCH HARDER than losing, it's going to take work. (I thought losing the weight was the easiest thing ever.). But I'm ready. Join me, we can have a summer back to goal challenge.

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

To the OP,

I am a MILITANT advocate of cognitive therapy, but I also believe that if you are not ready or open to change no amount of therapy will help you.

While I am just over a year post op, and still losing, slow but at a pace I am at peace with, before this last regain I was able to keep off my excess weight for several years, unfortunately, a gall bladder attack and muscular/skeletal issues kept me from exercising while my hunger went out of control. I have been doing self-work for many many many years before my sleeve gastrectomy, and I have an arsenal of information in my head and library, and now in my heart as well as a built-in tool to help along the way.

The heart knowledge didn't sink in until I started seeing a therapist post surgery, while I have past experiences with a therapist, this time I went in for a specific reason - Why do I have this innate need/want/obsession to eat, and nutrient void foods (actually I said "eat crap at that" to her), when I have this built-in tool? - Her first question was "can you qualify crap?" and actually things I may eat from time to time are not necessarily crap. We started focusing on the root of my food beliefs and where they stem from. My life experiences have led me a path to reward or punish myself with food, my strategy is to find proper stress management skills to deal with the curve balls life throws at me from time to time. If YOU can do that on your own MORE POWER TO YOU!!!

On a side note, I just read a study on how our belief system around food may be helping or inhibiting our internal process for weight loss and it definitely associated with the relationship between our neurons and gut flora!

Hope you find a lifelong solution for your success!
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/09/2017
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-12-2018 04:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

WOW!! Excellent read!

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Once again, to the OP -- what's going on that you think has caused or contributed to your regain?

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    Once again, to the OP -- what's going on that you think has caused or contributed to your regain?
    Just another hit-and-run poster, I suspect...the member/OP has not been active on the forums since creating his/her first (and only) post.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

DITTO to all you say - always speak the truth whether others like it or not...I was on a FB support group for a short while (too long actually) and kept seeing the posts from people a month out (or not even sleeved yet) saying shit like "God you can NEVER eat steak again or you can NEVER at ice cream, pizza, whatever it was" Um never say never. Some guy attempted (keyword attempted) to completely and utterly call me out as being wrong and how DARE I say that people can still eat ice cream and pizza. Um I said a half of a slice dude not a large pizza in one sitting calm the F down. I also refuse to diet and I eat what I want.... just like you said though ... in moderation and not to the point of being uncomfortable. I'll readily admit that after I started taking some meds I was vehemently against taking in the first place (synthroid and I've had bad thyroid levels for 40 years) I started gaining... got up to 123 which literally freaked me out - I was still eating the same and totally in moderation but the scale went up and up and up. After having yet another "talk" with the clueless doctor who just took over at where I go and hearing her tell me to "stop being obsessed with my weight" I said .... well can't totally repeat what I said but needless to say I am looking for a new doctor ...(but I did tell her as my parting shot after I tossed the meds in the trash that I would be more than happy to give her the name of some good bariatric surgeons for HER). Funny that the meds had "nothing to do with it and it was all my fault" yet since I tossed the meds I am back down to 107 hmmmm... (bite me doc)

Therapy? Not my style. If it helps others then go for it ... I already know I'm a hot mess and totally nuts ... why pay 100 an hour to be reminded? I did my therapy for 2 years after my stint in rehab for coke and crack addiction and dealt with the loss of my dad.

If I say "I'll never eat ice cream again" guess what? I am going to think about ice cream morning noon and nite till I break down and go eat a gallon of it. Soooo I say nah I'll have a few bites then done thanks!

As they say "opinions are like assholes" everyone has one.

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    Ok...this is where I usually stir up the crap and start a thermo nuclear war. But...a little controversy every now and then isn't bad for the board.

I absolutely have no idea why everyone on here thinks that a wholesale change in life style is needed in order to succeed with the sleeve. Now mind you, I'm not saying that wholesale change is bad. If it works for you, then you should stick to it like white on rice. But, if the wholesale change isn't working for you (hello weight gain), then maybe instead of an even stricter set of rules that won't work, you might just need a check up from the neck up...and not by a shrink.

I've noticed that all but two of the folks who responded to your post are a year or less post op. With all due respect, getting advice from them is like asking a toddler how to run a marathon. That doesn't mean that they don't have good information. It just means that they don't have the experience to be giving advice on how to keep from gaining once you are on maintenance....much less how to lose once you've been on maintenance for a year or more. All they can do is repeat things they've read and heard. Their advice isn't grounded with first hand experience concerning what does and doesn't work.

Mine is. So here it is. Instead of making yourself miserable by putting yourself on what amounts to a restrictive diet, why don't you learn how to eat the foods you enjoy while not gaining? That's the genesis of my post op weight loss program and also for my maintenance.

I refuse to diet.

In my world, I eat what I want, when I want and eat it made just the way I like it. I just don't overeat....ever. If you don't over eat, you can't possibly eat enough of the "bad" foods that allegedly make folks gain weight. It's just plain old impossible. All of us sucked at diets pre op. It's why we had to resort to getting sleeved. What makes any of us think that restrictive eating is a viable, long term, solution to a life long problem? Here a dirty secret. It isn't.

If you'll go back to eating the way you did when you lost, you'll lose again. Then, instead of beating your head against a weight loss wall, try modifying how much you eat instead of what you eat.

In other words, it ain't what you're eating...it's how much of it you're eating.

The place to start is with protein. Protein will fill your sleeve up quicker than anything you can put in your mouth. So, eat protein every time you eat. I eat small amounts five times a day. The protein will kick start your metabolism and the fat and carbs you'll naturally ingest will fuel your metabolism and put you into turbo weight loss mode. You must also stay fully hydrated 24/7, 365. Chronic dehydration will cause weight gain quicker than a box of Twinkies.

Now, if you think a professional psychologist is the route you should go, then you should do it. I'm just telling you that the key to weight gain and weight loss lies with portion control and nothing else. You purchased the WMD of portion control tools. Use it.

Please feel free to pm me if you need some further advice or help. I am always glad to help. My advice has literally helped thousands lose weight and the feed back I get is almost universally lauded. But, as with all things, you have to understand that this plan is just that. My plan. It may or may not work for you. But, you'll never know until you try. Vets on here like Ann2 also have a tried and true method that's 180 degrees different than mine. It may be that their's is the one that works for you.

So, instead of resorting to professional help first, how about trying some self reliance? Again, you if feel like professional guidance is the path to take, then take it. But, I can tell you from first hand experience that solving your weight gain problem yourself is a very empowering experience and will give you the confidence knowing that no matter what happens with your weight, you will have the tools to deal with it yourself, on your own terms.

Again, reach out if you need the help.

Peace

Surgery date
    01/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.almanza
    Last Activity
    09-13-2017 08:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I had my sleeve done 3 years ago and lost over 100 pounds in the 18 months. Then the weight starting creeping back slowly over the next year. My mom died, marriage sucked, work was stressful and to top all that off and I was so disappointed in myself, depressed and discouraged, I was back up 35 pounds and climbing and felt like a failure.
    Things took a quick turn for the better about 7 months ago when I was introduced to the link between weight gain and Gut Health. In the past 6 months I have lost 25 pounds, have more energy, no longer anemic, better mood, no longer constipated (after 20 years) and sleeping like a baby at night. I researched like crazy and got approval from my local doctor to start taking an all-natural supplement that is healing my gut, balancing my blood sugar and my 46 year old wacky hormones. I’m honestly not even sure what is causing the weight loss. Is it because I’m more rested and less likely to lay on the couch at night? Is it because I’m not craving and eating chocolate during my PMS roller coaster? Is it because I’m less depressed so don’t go to potato chips for comfort? I don’t know but I do know it’s working and I no longer look in the mirror and think “you suck; you are a failure”. I’d love to share with you, if you are interested. I've waited this long to tell anyone just in case it was a fluke or temporary.
    we can turn this around...really

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12