Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-24-2018 05:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Smile 7 days to surgery

I'm excited, nervous, scared and elated all at once. Don't know if I'm coming or going most of the time. Flying from Atlanta, GA to San Diego, CA then crossing to TJ for surgery with Dr. Almanza. My husband and children are soooo supportive and my husband is coming with me for the surgery. I just hope everything goes as smooth as a lot of the posts that I have seen .... any suggestions or advise???

2. The following 19 users said welcome jmginney to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Default Re: 7 days to surgery

Hi Jayne, I had surgery with Dr Almanza 1-24-17. it was the Best experience!!! The drivers who pick you up from the airport, Take you to all your appointments and take you to the hotel are super nice. They even will take you and the group shopping or to the beach. some of the group decided to go shopping on day 3 of surgery and a couple decided to go to the beach. They work hard and such gentlemen we gave them tips along with the gentlemen at the hotel. They have a concierge servive. He helps with your bags and delivers them to the room for you and will get you situated. You will feel very spoiled. They all treat you like family. You don't have to tip but it felt right to do so. The area around the hotel and hospital is real nice and we felt safe down there and told it was safe for us to walk all around and we did.We saw some cool things. like two blocks up from the hospital is a huge statue of president Lincoln holding broken chains in each hand. He's surrounded by fountains, palm trees. He's standing in the center square. The flowers all around should be beautiful. You are in for a big surprise. There is a huge mall and movie theater in walking distance that is like Cinnatopia, movies in English and has spanish subtitles. Only couple bucks for a movie. There's another movie theater close by that plays Spanish speaking movies. Make sure your at right one. Some people walked down and went to the movies. Most people we encountered spoke english and tried hard to speak English for us.
    Dr Almanza and the entire medical team are Outstanding!!! couldn't have ask for better care. It was a little nearve racking at first because I was in a foreign country were I had never been except in the area all the tourists went in the 80's. I had nothing to worry about because they all now what there doing and do it well. They speak English and only a couple needed a little help with their English. They all seem to love their job. The hospital is very clean and the OR's are state of the Art and they get all there medical supplies from Baxter Medical in the States. They also shop at Costco in San Diego for all are clear liquid stuff. You will get cute c.l. goodie bags at the hotel. If someone goes with you, there is a taco truck across the street and my husband said they had the best tacos and only a buck a piece. There is also a Brazilian steakhouse down the street that was really good and cost only around 23.00$ In the states it would have been over 80.00$ he said. Everything at the store was way cheaper than home prices. My husband used his bank credit card that immediately sends a notice with amount charged and all but once came out cheaper than they quoted. I can't wait to go and visit sometime and go say Hi to the team and tour around. Please feel free to answer any questions. One recommendation is to bring medical records with you especially if you had a echocardiogram done. I have CHF and my cardiologist office forgot to send my test and office visit to the Cardiologists in Mexico and before he felt comfortable giving me his final approval he needed to see that test. So it was a bit stressful getting it together from down there. If you have a cpap machine requiring Oxygen make sure you arrange delivery by your supplier. Bring heating pad with you. Rooms in the back much are much quieter than rooms in the front .
    make sure you walk frequently after surgery, it will help with pain. Second week much better than first. Only first two days seemed the hardest then got a lot better. If your on any meds check with the pharmacist and see if they come in liquid form and if they don't can they be crushed and mixed with juice. taste will be awful but it will get you your meds. Chewable gasx helped. I'm using chewable Woman's day vit., Nature made sublingual B12,Vitafusion chewable calcium and my bloodwork was good. Best it has been in a long time. When I finshed my liquid anti acid med Dr Almanza gave me I used Nexium and broke capsule and emptied tiny pearls on children applesauce and swallow carefully to not break them, its a slow release med. I took twice a day for 2.5 mos, was off two weeks now taking once a day. Good luck with your journey!! Its been amazing for me. I work out everyday. joined hiking groups and a cycling group. Been working my way up to harder hikes. Made it to the top of Neahkahnie Mountain, it was awesome. I could see the Oregon Coast completely unobstructed. We climbed over trees and to get to the top you have to climb steep hill using rock climbing technic. Wednesday rode 44miles on my road bike. Went from one town to another. Could never be doing all of this without the Sleeve!! A new life awaits you
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Ciaran keogh
    Surgery date
    03/30/2017
    Surgeon
    Mr. Collins
    Last Activity
    10-02-2021 07:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 71 Times
    Was Thanked 52 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries

I was very nervous too but the life beyond the surgery is truly awesome I'm 7 weeks out and I'm over 80 ibs down since pre op diet !!

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Good luck with your surgery.

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Jayne Ginney
    Surgery date
    05/26/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-24-2018 05:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

Back home, feeling blessed and ready to take on anything! Surgery was uneventful, recovery has been smooth, even the travel home was not an issue. I just don't know why I waited so long! To anyone considering it, DO IT! I'm so glad I did!

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the ✨Losers Bench!✨

Wishing you continued healing and success in your WLS journey.

Reach out to anytime!
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)