Last Activity
    10-17-2019 10:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Simple questions about pre-op diet

Hi there!

I would like to ask all those that have had the surgery, when they were on the pre-op diet 1) did you exercise on it and 2)did it make you feel weak?

I was walking before the pre-op diet but man, it is really hard since I have been on the diet. I was just wondering if this is normal or what. I mean I guess I have gone from many calories to about 600 and I know that has to have an affect on me, but I had to take like 5 breaks on a simple walk.

I also worry about my momentum with exercise. I have been trying to walk and swim 5 days or more a week before surgery, but I know I probably won't be able to walk for at least a week after surgery.

I would like to know what others have experienced.

Thank you all in advance!
    HW 400lbs
    Starting Weight: 308
    Sleeve date: 5/24/17
    Surgery Weight: 296-(12)
    1st Month: 271-(25)
    2nd Month 2676-(4)
    3rd Month 261-(16)
    4th Month

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Simple questions about pre-op diet

I did not exercise at all during my pre-op diet. I also did not resume exercise until three months post-surgery. Post-anesthesia fog left me tired and mentally cloudy for six weeks after surgery.

I started with a walk/jog routine three months post-op. Nearly two years later I am running an average of 30 miles per week.

In my opinion, the immediate post-op period should be for allowing your stomach to heal and preventing clots. The exercise for the first few weeks post-op (if any) should be very low impact, such as walking at a leisurely pace.

During the first six weeks post-op, you will not be consuming enough calories to fuel moderate-to-vigorous intensity exercise. This is the reasoning for keeping it low-intensity.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

Gastric Sleeve Member Sallynmichigan's Avatar
    Name
    Sally
    Surgery date
    05/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Hawasli
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Blog Entries

This was very helpful to me. Thank you so much. I had decided to give myself a break today from exercising. Although when I was swimming yesterday I felt good. Walking, another story. I suppose I will get enough exercise after the surgery I just wanted to be stronger for after the surgery and not loose my momentum.

Also, you are amazing! 30 miles per week? Running? I have never fathomed in my lifetime to be able to run again. And what I wouldn't give right now to eat 2000 calories a day! Makes me look forward to the future for sure!
    HW 400lbs
    2nd Month 2676-(4)
    3rd Month 261-(16)
    4th Month

6. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/26/2016
    Surgeon
    Taiwan Kim
    Last Activity
    08-02-2019 07:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 138 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

I did not exercise pre-surgery. I did not exercise for six weeks post-surgery except for a little walking which was primarily to prevent clots and make me feel a little more normal. I was VERY tired after surgery and then six weeks post, it was like someone flipped a switch and I had energy and WANTED to exercise. I started getting to the gym a couple of times a week just doing the elliptical and stationary bike. Then I went to Florida and golfed 2-3 times per week and worked out with a personal trainer for a few months. I think the big thing is find something you like to do and WILL do. Don't rush it, as many on this forum have said "this is a marathon, not a sprint".

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Sally! I was not exercising pre op. I did not start post op for a few weeks as you will feel tired. That will not prevent you from losing weight, though. Most surgeons will tell you to listen to your body. I know mine did.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Ciaran keogh
    Surgery date
    03/30/2017
    Surgeon
    Mr. Collins
    Last Activity
    10-02-2021 07:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 71 Times
    Was Thanked 52 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries

I didn't excersize during my pre op and yea I did feel weak but that's natural , I don't think theres any need to excersize at that stage of the game as the diet will take care of the weight loss anyway

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Jeanne
    Surgery date
    11/28/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Joseph Regan
    Last Activity
    05-26-2017 11:51 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

Hi and good luck!
    I wasn't exercising preop but began walking post-op. I took a short walk outdoors everyday post op to prevent blood clots and to help clear my mind. It was winter which meant boots, scarves, and mittens. Very invigorating. Each day I pushed myself a little further. Honestly though I didn't have much energy for the first month post op. By week 4-5, I was consuming more calories and finally my stamina and mood improved and I joined the gym. I have been religious since then about my 3-5 days/week work outs. It gets easier and easier as the weight drops off. Now that spring is upon us I am considering suspending the gym membership til late fall as it's just glorious to walk outdoors. I walk for 1-2 hours and just enjoy the scenery and smells. It's also nice to switch things up. My bike will come out of the rack too soon.
    I'm hoping to be be in a good place weight wise by my one year surgiversary to start working with a trainer. I tried one in February and it was just a bit too much for me. I have bad knees and I wound up going backwards and feeling too sore to work out. Getting more weight off the joints will help.
    Exercise is essential to better health and fitness.

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Sally
    Surgery date
    05/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Hawasli
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Blog Entries

It makes sense that consuming calories and better nutrition would help make you feel like exercising. I cut my grass today in 80 degree weather and it was a struggle. Something I have done for many years. I know I want to get back to swimming as soon as I can. I want a swimmers body! I think my body is definitely getting used to less and less these days. I think this pre op diet is helping me live on less already. I want to hit everyone in the face and couldn't be more frustrated but I know I have one more week to go before surgery. I know I will start walking as soon as I am able or have the energy. This preop diet has sucked all my energy. I got the hicups today and tried to hold my breath and I got so dizzy! I believe it's from lack of nutrition.

Thank you for info, it was very helpful!
    HW 400lbs
    2nd Month 2676-(4)
    3rd Month 261-(16)
    4th Month

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sallynmichigan View Post
    Hi there!

I would like to ask all those that have had the surgery, when they were on the pre-op diet 1) did you exercise on it and 2)did it make you feel weak?

I was walking before the pre-op diet but man, it is really hard since I have been on the diet. I was just wondering if this is normal or what. I mean I guess I have gone from many calories to about 600 and I know that has to have an affect on me, but I had to take like 5 breaks on a simple walk.

I also worry about my momentum with exercise. I have been trying to walk and swim 5 days or more a week before surgery, but I know I probably won't be able to walk for at least a week after surgery.

I would like to know what others have experienced.

Thank you all in advance!
    I exercised regularly pre and post op, and by that I mean walking at a high pace and on elliptical.

Yes, 600 calories definitely will make your mind and body feel depleted of energy. But this is temporary and your body is trying to conserve energy it already has, meaning it doesn't want you to use up your stored fat. Definitely, be careful and cautious and don't over exert yourself to the point of passing out. If you continue your walking routine you will burn some fat, which is what you want.

I was walking immediately post op, in increments of course, by end of week I was at 30 minutes at a moderate pace, which I did twice a day. I was cleared for cardio at my one week follow-up, but I caution you to not go gunho, I did and at 6 weeks post op my energy crashed. I took a break from gym, but continued to walk daily. Restarted with a get fit program that gradually intensified weight resistance and cardio. Thats when inches just started melting off for me.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

17. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I didn't have a calorie limit on my pre-op diet, could have as many shakes as I wanted. I agree, 600 calories won't give you much energy to exercise. I did exercise, but I was consuming more calories. In fact we spent the weekend at the lake with friends, so I was swimming, kayaking, walking, etc. The only part that wasn't fun was watching everyone else eat and drink a lot. But I froze my chocolate shake and pretended it was a frosty. Still got to socialize and hang out on the water!

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Sally
    Surgery date
    05/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Hawasli
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Blog Entries

That's wonderful that you exercised on the pre op. I am not even sure I am on 600 calories but most of my calories are coming from the protein shakes. 380 with my protein shakes then the rest is sugar free jello, 1/2 cup, 1 cup of broth if I want it, 1 light yogurt (100 calories) 2 to 4 cups of plain lettuce with 1 tablespoon of light dressing and the tea I drink but that has zero calories. That's it. I am getting used to it a little better than last week. I was able to cut my grass yesterday but it seems like it was twice the work as it used to be. I am a little concerned about that. Most have been telling me that if you don't consume enough calories, you won't have the energy to exercise which seems to be the case. Tonight I washed my dog, and it was also difficult.

So I have decided maybe I will swim this weekend so that will make me feel better about the lack of exercise lately. I am concerned that exercising going forward is going to be really much harder because my intake is going to be much less. But I also know, I won't be pushing as much weight as I used to while exercising so that is comforting. Especially in the water and I am looking forward to that. I have lost about 10 lbs so far on this diet and I know that's big in the water. That is very exciting to me.

I appreciate all the comments about this, because it has been so helpful to me. My anger and frustration has subsided since I started this diet. I thought I wanted to smack every idiot driver out there! LOL but I think I am over that, thank god. Less than a week and I will be on the other side!
    HW 400lbs
    2nd Month 2676-(4)
    3rd Month 261-(16)
    4th Month

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Doodle_mom's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Sherman Yu
    Last Activity
    07-31-2018 09:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 56 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 44 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

I did not exercise during pre-op diet. Wished I had, but like you did not have the energy. I am now and it really does help move things along.

23. Said thanks:

Name
    Sally
    Surgery date
    05/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Hawasli
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Blog Entries

I was preparing for my diet for after surgery today and decided to get some vitamins that I will need going forward. I am a little confused about the calcium because it's mentioned in my documentation, but doesn't mention how much or what to get. So I got citracal or something like that. It had vitamin d3 in it, which is something I need going forward. I took them when I got home from the store, and I was exhausted. But I really feel so much better now. I feel like I could do some exercising. Maybe it's just today but I feel better. I also bought myself a new pair of walking shoes so that I am ready when I have to start walking again...hopefully right away..like Friday this week.

I just want to say how excited I am to be having my surgery on Wednesday. I just can't explain it. Looking at everyone's before and after pictures have really inspired me. I can't wait to be slimmer and not as hungry and more physically capable. This has been a life long journey. My sister sent me a photo of myself as a child, around 6 or 7, and it's the last time I was normal. That's a long time ago. I don't even remember being normal weight.

I often think if someone was a normal weight most of their lives, how it affects them, as opposed to someone like me who has been overweight all her life. I know I don't ever want to be heavy again, but I am also realistic, knowing it's possible to gain it back so I am not naive about the possibilities. But I wonder if someone who lived life as a normal weight, are they more motivated or less motivated?

I am so grateful for this opportunity! I know it's not going to be easy, but I think it's going to be easier than this pre-op diet! I am just in a very positive mood about this and have no worries that this is the best thing that I will have done for myself and I am proud to be a part of this fabulous group!
    HW 400lbs
    2nd Month 2676-(4)
    3rd Month 261-(16)
    4th Month

Gastric Sleeve Member Luv49ers19's Avatar
    Name
    Cody
    Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Daniel Leslie
    Last Activity
    09-27-2018 08:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 760 Times
    Was Thanked 547 Times in 375 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 275 Times
    Blog Entries

I feel ya! My surgery is on tuesday!!!! I have slways been heavy execpt for a brief time when i was 16/17. Done thecwhole yo yo diet thing and this time have changed my ways for good! I gave up soda cold turkey and drink nothing but water and my tea in the morning.
    I to am inspired by everyone on here. All the tips and experiences have help me prepare better and I've learn quite a bit! Wishing you a speedy recovery.
    Hw: 260
    Sw: 260 10/23/16
    Weight at time of sleeve 209 (-51)
    Sleeve date 5/23/17
    1 month:187 (-22)
    2 month:178 (-9)
    3 month:172 (-6)
    4 month:162 (-10)
    5 month:150 (-12) (10/28/17) 6 month goal!!!!
    6 month: 143 (-7)
    7 month: 136 (-7)
    8 month: 131 (-5) made goal weight 130 (2/8/2017)
    9 month: 125 (-6)
    10 month: 120 (-5)
    11 month: 115 (-5)
    1 year: 114 (-1)
    16 months: 120 (+6)

26. Said thanks:

Name
    Sally
    Surgery date
    05/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Hawasli
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Blog Entries

You have done wonderfully with your weight loss! Congrats and I am glad to make your acquaintance! I wish you the best with your recovery too! I gave up soda, sugar and was juicing before this diet. So congrats on that too! Its not easy giving up soda! That will give you a step up on your recovery! Good luck!
    HW 400lbs
    2nd Month 2676-(4)
    3rd Month 261-(16)
    4th Month