Surgeon
    Frenzel
    Last Activity
    05-11-2017 12:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Is this normal

Had my sleeve surgery April 20th, 2017, went back for my post op appointment last week. Between the Pre-Op appointment and the Post Op (3 weeks) I was down 31 lbs. I've now moved to foods the consistency of baby food. Refried Beans, Oatmeal, Guacamole, Soups, Mashed Potatoes. In the last 5 days I've lost .4 lbs. I haven't cheated at all and am not eating much, maybe 2 1/2 cups of refried beans a day for a snack and lunch and maybe one cup of soup at night. Still drinking my protein shake in the morning. I figure I've has a total of 65 grams a day of protein and maybe 900 calories a day the last 5 days. (each day) and I'm walking a good amount, maybe a mile and a half a day. Drinking at least two 32 Oz PowerAde Zeros a day. The weight was just flying off before but now I'm stuck. Is this to be expected?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Tommy1969's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Tom
    Surgery date
    02/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tieu
    Last Activity
    06-07-2019 06:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 179 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is this normal

Yes, happened to me. I believe once we switch to more solid foods we add back a bit of water into our system. Stay the course and you will start losing again. What I am struggling with is that the weight is not coming off as quick as in the beginning. My 3 month post op date is this Sunday. I believe this is relatively normal for most people. My struggle however is that I started at 479 and now 410 but looks like I am only going to lose 8-10 over the past month. I expected at my size that I would lose at least 20 a month for a while. However, as long as I am losing that is fine with me.

Good luck to you.

Original Weight - 479
    Day of Surgery - 459
    Month 1 - 438
    Month 2 - 418
    Month 3 - 409
    Month 6 - 389

4. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Yes, totally to be expected. Doesn't make sense, but it happens to almost all of us. Just keep what you're doing and you'll be fine. Maybe stay off your scale if it bothers you.

Maybe try soft protein rather than soft carbs? Like low-fat greek yogurt or eggs? Just a thought.

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    08-23-2020 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times
    Was Thanked 475 Times in 285 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

Eliminate / reduce carbs. Your body is burning the carbs instead of fat.

Also, try to exercise. Walking is a perfect activity after surgery. I was out walking within 5 days of surgery.
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

"Never take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!"

Remember, in this thing, it's a good thing to be a loser!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG
    Target Weight -205 That's right, 205!!!!

Surgery date
    04/12/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hamilton
    Last Activity
    06-15-2017 05:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I am at Day 29 after surgery and was wondering the same thing because I gained 2 pounds back and have been here for a week. I don't eat much and almost everything is protein. Today for the first time I had oatmeal. Highest carb day just from that today. Won't be having it again, at least for a while. I'm glad to hear it's normal and the weight will start to come off again.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Keary Williams
    Last Activity
    05-12-2017 06:30 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Had surgery on 4/12/17. Just got cleared for puréed food yesterday. My dietian said in this phase to eat only protein and get your carbs from G2 or watered down apple juice. It keeps you from going into a weight loss stall. And for the scale--- weigh one a week because it's a more accurate account of your weight. There are too many things going on in your body to weigh everyday especially fluid retention, lack of bowel movement and so on. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Gvn71 View Post
    Eliminate / reduce carbs. Your body is burning the carbs instead of fat.

Also, try to exercise. Walking is a perfect activity after surgery. I was out walking within 5 days of surgery.

I'm not sure if I could disagree more with this statement than I do. I think a little lesson on carbs, fat, and protein is in order. While it is true that your body burns carbs and fat for fuel, the engine they are feeding (your metabolism) is triggered by protein. If you get your protein and water in, then your body will burn the carbs and fat you eat, then it will go and get your stored fat for the additional energy it needs to stay ramped up. One of the leading causes of stalls is chronic dehydration. If you are not getting in your water, then you will definitely stall, stall often, and stay stalled for months on end.

I have literally hundreds and hundreds of posts concerning stalls, how we get them, how to bust them, and more importantly, how to not get them at all. All of this info can be found on my profile page and is contained in my posts. Basically, the genesis of my method centers on eating carbs and fat and protein. Once your metabolism is kicked into high gear by proper nutrition and hydration, your body will burn the hell out of what you eat and go looking for more. Since you just plain old can't eat enough of the "bad" foods to make you gain weight, those foods actually help keep your metabolism ramped up and looking for more fuel.

I had a stall at 6 months that was slimiest, sickest, stupidest thing I ever went through. I decided to change everything up and went to this plan. It's one I made up all by myself. Once I got the details ironed out, I lost more weight in the next six months (140 lbs) than I did in preceding nine months (125). There have also been quite a few vets on here who used this plan and were successful too.

Word of caution. My plan is just that....my plan. Since we are all different, there's a chance that this plan won't work for you. What's important is that you keep hunting and pecking until you hit on the right combination.

My plan centers around what I call the four pillars of weight loss for VSG patients.

Nutrition, Hydration, Exercise, Supplements. If you ignore any of these pillars, you will stall. If you tailor a plan that maximizes each of the pillars, then you will be the biggest loser on the planet. I would also counsel you to look at supplements. It's not too early for you to be taking them.

So, if you take a look at all of the drivel I typed on my profile page and are interested in getting into the weeds with it, feel free to pm me and I'll be happy to help you find your way.

Remember.....Make a plan, work that plan, own your results, and change as necessary.

Peace

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Could just be a stall as your body adjusts. They happen and it is not uncommon at all. You can read many stories about it here on the forum. Usually the first big stall is between weeks 3 and 5. Stalls can last a few days or even weeks. Just relax, take progress pics, measurements....because sometimes when it you are not losing....you are still getting smaller.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Barbalinardo
    Last Activity
    06-29-2018 11:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I am just two months post surgery. I have lost 40 pounds. Definitely will see a slow down. Keep up the protein and water. I do not eat any bread, rice or pasta. Walking every day and I now just started back at the gym. I thought it would come off faster but I will keep on working it. Good luck.

Name
    hmmmmm I wonder
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Romanelli
    Last Activity
    01-09-2018 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 370 Times in 237 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 96 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Audioboy View Post
    Had my sleeve surgery April 20th, 2017, went back for my post op appointment last week. Between the Pre-Op appointment and the Post Op (3 weeks) I was down 31 lbs. I've now moved to foods the consistency of baby food. Refried Beans, Oatmeal, Guacamole, Soups, Mashed Potatoes. In the last 5 days I've lost .4 lbs. I haven't cheated at all and am not eating much, maybe 2 1/2 cups of refried beans a day for a snack and lunch and maybe one cup of soup at night. Still drinking my protein shake in the morning. I figure I've has a total of 65 grams a day of protein and maybe 900 calories a day the last 5 days. (each day) and I'm walking a good amount, maybe a mile and a half a day. Drinking at least two 32 Oz PowerAde Zeros a day. The weight was just flying off before but now I'm stuck. Is this to be expected?
    If the 2 32oz powerades is all your drinking per day you are woefully under hydrating. I would suggest doubling your hydration levels to around 120 ounces daily. Food intake wise I think your are doing fine for the stage you are at.

Starting weight 328
    pre-op weight- 298
    1 month out- 262
    2 month out- 244
    3 month out- 227
    4 month out- 215
    5 month out- 203
    6 month out- 195
    7 month out- 194 in 1 month stall
    8 month out- 192
    9 month out-190
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/26/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lutfi
    Last Activity
    06-02-2017 04:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Yep I've heard it called the 3 week stall. It happened to me too. I also think it has something to do with the nutrition content which has been mentioned before.
    "'Cause all it takes is a little reinvention." -Evan Hansen

Starting weight 398
    pre-op weight- 378
    1 month out- 355
    2 month out-
    3 month out-
    4 month out-
    5 month out-
    6 month out-
    7 month out-
    8 month out-
    9 month out-
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    I'm not sure if I could disagree more with this statement than I do. I think a little lesson on carbs, fat, and protein is in order. While it is true that your body burns carbs and fat for fuel, the engine they are feeding (your metabolism) is triggered by protein. If you get your protein and water in, then your body will burn the carbs and fat you eat, then it will go and get your stored fat for the additional energy it needs to stay ramped up. One of the leading causes of stalls is chronic dehydration. If you are not getting in your water, then you will definitely stall, stall often, and stay stalled for months on end.

I have literally hundreds and hundreds of posts concerning stalls, how we get them, how to bust them, and more importantly, how to not get them at all. All of this info can be found on my profile page and is contained in my posts. Basically, the genesis of my method centers on eating carbs and fat and protein. Once your metabolism is kicked into high gear by proper nutrition and hydration, your body will burn the hell out of what you eat and go looking for more. Since you just plain old can't eat enough of the "bad" foods to make you gain weight, those foods actually help keep your metabolism ramped up and looking for more fuel.

I had a stall at 6 months that was slimiest, sickest, stupidest thing I ever went through. I decided to change everything up and went to this plan. It's one I made up all by myself. Once I got the details ironed out, I lost more weight in the next six months (140 lbs) than I did in preceding nine months (125). There have also been quite a few vets on here who used this plan and were successful too.

Word of caution. My plan is just that....my plan. Since we are all different, there's a chance that this plan won't work for you. What's important is that you keep hunting and pecking until you hit on the right combination.

My plan centers around what I call the four pillars of weight loss for VSG patients.

Nutrition, Hydration, Exercise, Supplements. If you ignore any of these pillars, you will stall. If you tailor a plan that maximizes each of the pillars, then you will be the biggest loser on the planet. I would also counsel you to look at supplements. It's not too early for you to be taking them.

So, if you take a look at all of the drivel I typed on my profile page and are interested in getting into the weeds with it, feel free to pm me and I'll be happy to help you find your way.

Remember.....Make a plan, work that plan, own your results, and change as necessary.

Peace
    The OP asked for peoples opinions on why things might be going the way they are for them at this time.... I could care less if you disagree more or less or at all with my personal experience. It's working for me, and it might work for them. I'll stick to my nutritionists explanation about carbs, fat and how my body burns them.

That is all.
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times

The OP asked for peoples opinions on why things might be going the way they are for them at this time.... I could care less if you disagree more or less or at all with my personal experience. It's working for me, and it might work for them. I'll stick to my nutritionists explanation about carbs, fat and how my body burns them.

That is all.
    You didn't give an opinion. You gave advice. Huge difference. At four months post op, in my opinion, the only advice you should be giving is what sized straw the OP should be using to sip their water and protein drinks. I also gave an opinion and advice and backed both up with anecdotal and scientific fact.

Again, at four months, you haven't had enough personal experience to know what does and doesn't work for you or for anyone. Here's a dirty little secret. What works for you now ain't gonna work in six months. And what works for you at month nine won't work for you in month 18.

Your experience with fat and carbs is limited at best. Mine isn't. My advice is grounded in huge ass dose of been there and done that....all of it. I also was very careful to note that the way I do it works for me and lots of others, but might not work for the OP. That still doesn't change the fact that I could not disagree more with the ADVICE you gave. Don't take it personally. I don't disagree with you personally, just your advice.

But hey, at 5 yrs post op....what the heck do I know?

That is all.

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    You didn't give an opinion. You gave advice. Huge difference. At four months post op, in my opinion, the only advice you should be giving is what sized straw the OP should be using to sip their water and protein drinks. I also gave an opinion and advice and backed both up with anecdotal and scientific fact.

Again, at four months, you haven't had enough personal experience to know what does and doesn't work for you or for anyone. Here's a dirty little secret. What works for you now ain't gonna work in six months. And what works for you at month nine won't work for you in month 18.

Your experience with fat and carbs is limited at best. Mine isn't. My advice is grounded in huge ass dose of been there and done that....all of it. I also was very careful to note that the way I do it works for me and lots of others, but might not work for the OP. That still doesn't change the fact that I could not disagree more with the ADVICE you gave. Don't take it personally. I don't disagree with you personally, just your advice.

But hey, at 5 yrs post op....what the heck do I know?

That is all.
    Not to get into a pissing match, but, whatever.... Free country I can give any opinion or advice I want. You can disregard it if you want. As far as I'm concerned your opinion is meaningless. Whatever worked for you might not work for someone else so my opinion is just as valid as yours. You could be 5 days or 50 years out, I could care less, I'm just trying to help someone who asked a question. What the heck do you know? As far as I can tell, not much that is helpful to me.

I'm done here. I need to remember to never feed the trolls.

I know your doing so much better than me...... I'm running a 5k Sunday morning and a triathlon in 5 weeks, what are you doing?
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG

19. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times

Not to get into a pissing match, but, whatever.... Free country I can give any opinion or advice I want. You can disregard it if you want. As far as I'm concerned your opinion is meaningless. Whatever worked for you might not work for someone else so my opinion is just as valid as yours. You could be 5 days or 50 years out, I could care less, I'm just trying to help someone who asked a question. What the heck do you know? As far as I can tell, not much that is helpful to me.

I'm done here. I need to remember to never feed the trolls.

I know your doing so much better than me...... I'm running a 5k Sunday morning and a triathlon in 5 weeks, what are you doing?

Troll? You join a few weeks ago and call a five year vet of this board a troll? Gimme a break.

I agree with your right to give advice. I'm also fully invested in calling out newbies who don't know if the advice they are giving is good or bad....which by the way....your's is bad given where the OP is in their trip. As for your assertion that what worked for me might not work for others....well....duh. I said so not once, but twice in my back and forth with you.

I am actually happy that you are running a 5k this weekend and a triathlon coming up. I wish my knees would let me run....they don't so I swim.

However, I am just about to publish my second book on how to live in a non sleeved world. First book did pretty darn well. Over 10,000 copies sold and still climbing. Second book is shaping up to be better in my opinion.

So, to put a bow on it, over 10,000 people felt like the advice I had to share was worth enough to actually pay for. But, in a huge act of irony, I give that advice away on this board for free....even to "experts" like you.