Surgeon
    Dr. Dobruskin
    Last Activity
    05-31-2017 05:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Alcohol and Gastric Sleeve

Hi all, I am strongly leaning towards gastric sleeve surgery, and I am wondering about anyone's personal experiences with alcohol post op. I don't drink a lot at all these days, but I do love beer and the thought of possibly having to give it up forever is daunting. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Bothsidesnow2017's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lahmann
    Last Activity
    05-13-2018 10:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Alcohol and Gastric Sleeve

We were told no alcohol for a year ����
    J.

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/26/2016
    Surgeon
    Taiwan Kim
    Last Activity
    08-02-2019 07:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 138 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

I indulge in a glass of wine here and there, but when my weight loss slows, that is the first thing I make sure I give up. We all know it's empty calories, but sometimes I just want what I want. Health-wise and sleeve-wise, my nutritionist said she wouldn't recommend it, but it wouldn't hurt, just not help. Also, it's hard to have a drink at a restaurant because we have to wait 30 minutes before eating after drinking, and that doesn't usually work out. I have tried it and ended up regretting it.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Tracey
    Surgery date
    03/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Verboonen
    Last Activity
    05-24-2018 10:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 47 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I was told no alcohol for three weeks. I haven't really tried anything yet. I know my brother-in-law is a few years post-op and he drinks socially and doesn't seem to have a problem with. Maybe a little bit of a light weight if anything. Doesn't take much to get a buzz.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/09/2017
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-12-2018 04:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

I enjoy a glass of wine with my friends on Friday nights. I have not noticed it being a huge problem. Although now I dont hae the appetizers or anything I just really really enjoy my glass!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Sarcastic_Bard's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/29/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Vierra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2018 01:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 448 Times

I had a small vodka and diet cranberry almost a year out. I took an hour to drink it and I was okay. A month or so ago I had a glass of wine at a wedding reception and within a few slowly taken sips I immediately got a headache and didn't drink the rest. The biggest concern I would have is that beer is so heavily carbonated. At the least I think you would get some of that slimy stuff that comes back up and/or stomach ache from the carbonation.

I went on vacation about 10 months after surgery and at my appointment a week or so before, my bariatric coordinator said that I could have a drink with dinner, but to avoid anything sugary and heavily carbonated and plan for it by taking an omeprozole well beforehand.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Forrester
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts

Mine said nothing for at least a month. At my 3 month visit I asked. He said I could have something, make wise choices, drink with people you love because you will get drunk fast. You also can't eat and drink so that makes it a little complex. Carbonation may also be an issue with beer. So far I've had a Michelob ultra a couple of times. I was pretty buzzed after half. lol

Surgery Day Weight 1/11: 300
    Month 1: -34 pounds, -25 inches

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Burnett
    Last Activity
    05-01-2017 09:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

I am 1 year it and still can't drink. I'm not a big drinker so when I do try it's a very small drink. Which takes about a hour to drink. Good luck.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I have had alcohol. I do not indulge too much, though. My nutritionist did say I should avoid carbonated drinks...forever....so beer would fall into that. Have you asked your surgeon? I can honestly say that every surgeon and nutritionist has completely different rules.

Surgery date
    10/26/2016
    Surgeon
    Taiwan Kim
    Last Activity
    08-02-2019 07:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 138 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

I have had beer, it was fine. It took a long time to drink it though because of the carbonation. I pretty much satisfy myself with a sip of my husband's beer.

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

I do drink alcohol (whiskey, vodka, wine, twisted tea) but beer is completely out of the question. I can't tolerate carbonation at all. With a tiny sleeve, there's no place for the bubbles to go. I've had hard cider once or twice but have to pour it over ice and get it as defizzed as possible. Obviously that's not a viable option for beer. I was a big beer drinker before VSG. Could easily go through a twelve pack in a day on the river, Several friends make their own, we went to beer festivals every summer and even made a cross country trek, touring microbrews in 12 different states. but beer is off the table for me now. Oh well, totally worth it and dont miss it like I thought I would.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr. Dobruskin
    Last Activity
    05-31-2017 05:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

This is a big concern for me...as I think about having to give up beer, and foods that I love, I almost feel like I am mourning for the life I have to leave behind...does that make sense? I've been getting very emotional about it. I have two brothers, and whenever the three of us are together, which is not often be cause we live far apart...we always have a large can of Foster's together. I'm guessing I wont be able to do that anymore. I don't think this is a dealbreaker for me, but I am surprised at how much this is hitting me mentally and emotionally, and I haven't even fully decided to have the surgery yet!

Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

You may not miss it all that much, once you see the results of your hard work after surgery. (I don't drink beer, never have, but I had the same thoughts about FOOD. When it hit me that I won't be eating the same things I ate before, or the portion size, I was a little overwhelmed. But then I thought about the future and how I would feel. I'm doing it now! Tonight I sat through dinner with my husband and kids as two of them had pizza, and my husband had Chinese food. I had my 2 oz of tuna, a teaspoon of cottage cheese and 1 NO SUGAR added cling peach... and I was content. I was full when I left the table and here I am, at the computer while they finish eating. (The first week WAS very difficult for me and I learned I couldn't eat with them. I had NO appetite as it was, but I cried when I saw them packing away their food! I was having major issues, but it passed over the next few days. THAT was when I realized that even if I COULD take a bite of that bean and cheese burrito, it wouldn't taste the same OR be able to go down my throat without me wretching. After that, I knew my new way of life was taking over and I am fine with it.)

I still have a LONG way to go ( this week will be 6 weeks since surgery) but I am seeing results already and don't miss my old way of eating. Smaller clothes, smaller body. I am happy.

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

17. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-05-2018 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 285 Times
    Was Thanked 245 Times in 196 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 567 Times
    Blog Entries

I am a champagne girl and never thought about giving that up for the rest of my life. I'm so ready though, It is a small price to pay. Before I read this post I really did not consider the alcohol factor. I guess I have to focus on what I will gain and not what I'm giving up. I can drink all I want now but I feel bloated and I'm in a size 18 (tight)

19. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Quote Originally Posted by tommyhnj View Post
    This is a big concern for me...as I think about having to give up beer, and foods that I love, I almost feel like I am mourning for the life I have to leave behind...does that make sense? I've been getting very emotional about it. I have two brothers, and whenever the three of us are together, which is not often be cause we live far apart...we always have a large can of Foster's together. I'm guessing I wont be able to do that anymore. I don't think this is a dealbreaker for me, but I am surprised at how much this is hitting me mentally and emotionally, and I haven't even fully decided to have the surgery yet!
    Ok...take a deep breath through your nose and exhale through your mouth.....there.....better? Here's the dealio. There is no way you will be able to predict how your sleeve will react to the food and drink you love. For me, carbonation is strictly off limits. Not because I chose to, but, because my sleeve chose to. I loved beer in my previous life and now I can't drink it at all. Same with sodas. I wasn't a big soda drinker to begin with so no loss there, but, the beer thing took awhile for me to wrap my head around. Now? I don't miss it at all. I now drink margaritas. That's right. Plural. I love them and they love me.....several times a night......lol.

As for giving up foods that you love, that's just plain old not true. If you give them up, it will be your decision. Not a requirement for losing weight. Lots of info on this very subject on my profile page. There is no "one size fits all" plan for losing weight with the sleeve. Each of us must find our own plan, tailored for us specifically, and then work that plan and own the results.

In the end, if the idea of giving up beer and carbonated drinks scares you, then you might not be ready for the sleeve. However, if you'll do a lot of research on this site, I think you'll find that the things you are afraid of really don't amount to much of anything at all in the big picture. Not that I am trying to marginalize your fears. It's just that I know that the things we all worried about pre op seemed to disappear post op once we settled into our new lives and bodies. You will too......take comfort in that.

As always, I am available for pm discussions if you feel so inclined.

21. Said thanks: