10/21/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcotte
    Last Activity
    07-01-2021 08:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 91 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default The bills from my surgery and treatment.

Now I understand why so many travel to Mexico for their surgery. I am 6 months out and the bills are still coming. My insurance provider had requirements that I needed to complete before surgery. Now I am finding out some of my appointments were not covered. I am going to contact my provider to find out why.

My Dr. ordered blood work today but I am not going for that appointment until I get a handle on these outstanding bills.

I currently owe $4300.00 and this is after paying off a great deal. The sleep study was done at home and then a follow up to set the machine setting was done inpatient. That bill is $800.00.

I need to contact the hospital and set up a new payment plan. This is all so overwhelming and low key deceitful. They didn't tell me about all these hidden charges going in.

I am happy with the surgery results. I am healthy. I look great! People keep telling me I look like my daughters older sister.

I do not regret my decision to have surgery but the bills are suffocating me.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The bills from my surgery and treatment.

I hear you. I've had some expected ones as well but not nearly as much as you. I wonder how almost $700 of my anesthesia was not covered during surgery. Like WTF? The other ones have been minor fortunately. Hope you get yours resolved. Hopefully it's an insurance error and you'll be covered.

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Tina
    Surgery date
    03/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Titus Dunkin
    Last Activity
    04-27-2017 12:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 75 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times

I work as a patient account rep for a physical therapy group and Yes, for sure the bills can be unexpected and pile up quickly. I always tell my patients when they question a bill to please verify if the billing is correct against your explanation of benefits. If they entered all payments and adjustments correctly and the bill is correct and you still disagree as to what you think you should have paid, please call your insurance and go over every detail with them. Perhaps they went over on your deductible for example your deductible is $500 but they applied $1000. Those mistakes happen all the time. Also, I know for a fact I can call an insurance company for the verification of benefits on the same patient 3 times and get 3 different quotes. So its not 100% until claims actually process through. If all check out, you may want to check into care credit or Wells Fargo Medical Credit Card these are special credit cards just for medical bills and most programs will do 0 interest for a certain amount of time. Also to qualify you don't need the best of credit.

Have a blessed day!

Tina

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

Our insurance company is 'processing" the hospital claim now AND the surgeon's claim. The hospital submitted charges of $131,000 (maybe $134K... can't remember) and I asked my insurance company WHAT will be paid. She said she wouldn't know until it's been processed. And the surgeon submitted a claim for over $17,000. Geez, Louise! We should be getting the EOB's soon on these. My deductible was $350. and was met almost immedaitely after the first of the year. But these prices are astronomical. When I was on the hospital's patient portal, they show charges for the Operating room at $56,000. Come on!

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Tina
    Surgery date
    03/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Titus Dunkin
    Last Activity
    04-27-2017 12:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 75 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times

Do you have an Out of Pocket Max Limit? Most insurance plans are around $5000 - $10000 then insurance will cover 100% after that point. You can most likely go online and find out how close to your out of pocket you are. Those are very high prices. I had my surgery 5 years ago and to be honest I can't remember what was charged but my insurance covered 100% so I did not pay much attention. Just opened my EOB's to make sure they paid.

Just remember if you reach your out of pocket and insurance covers 100% that should cover all your labs and MD appointments and everything medical that is normally on your plan for the rest of the year.

Tina

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TLHM1970 View Post
    Do you have an Out of Pocket Max Limit? Most insurance plans are around $5000 - $10000 then insurance will cover 100% after that point. You can most likely go online and find out how close to your out of pocket you are. Those are very high prices. I had my surgery 5 years ago and to be honest I can't remember what was charged but my insurance covered 100% so I did not pay much attention. Just opened my EOB's to make sure they paid.

Just remember if you reach your out of pocket and insurance covers 100% that should cover all your labs and MD appointments and everything medical that is normally on your plan for the rest of the year.

Tina
    Thank you! I'll check it out. Good to know.
    And yes, I thought these charges were sky high. I won't know what the "allowable" charges are until it's processed, which I think is soon.

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

Gastric Sleeve Member BanillaVean's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/15/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sabrena Noria
    Last Activity
    10-03-2017 03:21 AM
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

My insurance does not include WLS towards the maximum out of pocket.

I haven't had too many extra charges yet but did have an ultrasound on my legs before being discharged. I was given a contract of sorts months before surgery outlining the surgeon's, the anesthesiologist's, and the hospital's fees. $6400. Extra's not included. This was with my insurance that pays 70%. I had to put $2000 down before being scheduled and $500 the day of surgery. The rest I will pay in monthly installments over the next 24 months at 0%.

Hopefully no big surprises when I get the bill.

HW 245
    SW 230 (lost 5 pounds a few months before surgery, 10 during liver-shrink)
    MO1 210.4
    MO2 202.8