Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member want2beme's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    10-12-2017 11:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Red face I am thinking of getting the gastric sleeve, would like to hear from real people.

Hello,
    I have been thinking of getting the gastric sleeve done for months. It scares me not only because it is surgery I have intolerance to being put to sleep I aspirate and I am just thinking of the worst things possible. I would like to hear from people who are serious and who can be honest. I know this isn't going to be easy as I have hypothyroid condition along with many other things.
    Honestly I am scared and would like to hear from others perhaps find persons I can count on when I feel depressed or what ever I am going to feel. I don't know...

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I am thinking of getting the gastric sleeve, would like to hear from real people.

I have been hypothyroid for 12 years. The sleeve was the best health-related decision I have made in my entire life. I have no regrets. Good riddance to the 80 percent of my stomach that was removed.

Depression? I frequently cried myself to sleep prior to the surgery, mostly due to past traumas. I also used food as an emotional crutch to blunt the pain. However, since the surgery, my mood has been the best and brightest it has been in years. Life as a normal-weight person is awesome.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

5. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Default Re: I am thinking of getting the gastric sleeve, would like to hear from real people.

Hello rehabnurse,
    You look radiant. I am looking for help with answers of what to expect and I will be having surgery. I just have not set a date because I am so freaking afraid due to my own anxiety being afraid of not waking up. I am 283 pnds I have tried everything including not eating to lose weight and I screwed up my metabolism from not eating right I would have one meal a day and still gain as much weight, walked 7 miles a day still gained weight while everyone else lost I gained. So, I am being skeptic this will fail me as well. I am nervous as to will I need someone to stay with me after surgery? I would like to know what to expect although I know everyone is different.

Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by want2beme View Post
    Hello rehabnurse, You look radiant.
    Thanks!
    So, I am being skeptic this will fail me as well.
    In general, the sleeve does not fail people. It is the other way around: people fail the sleeve through a variety of mechanisms such as overeating, not drinking enough water, and not consuming enough protein.

I was a painfully slow loser, probably due to genetics and hypothyroidism (see the monthly losses in the signature block below my post). However, I did eventually make it to my goal weight and have been able to maintain the weight loss via exercise and high protein consumption.
    I am nervous as to will I need someone to stay with me after surgery? I would like to know what to expect although I know everyone is different.
    I live alone and my family is several states away. My sleeve was a same-day surgery. I drove myself home from the hospital and recovered alone. The pain was manageable and totally gone after 4 days. However, my personality type is like a lone wolf: I am determined to not be bothered by people lording over me when I am sick.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

✨Welcome!✨

Congratulations on your decision to join the conversation, you will find very legit and caring and some well-informed folks in the forum (as with RehabNurse), and if you decide to go through the Sleeve Gastrectomy know your life is about to change for the better as reported in 99% of most cases. My worst fear was not waking up from surgery, or even worse be disabled for the rest of my life. As I did a thorough search and read copious academic and medical articles about the Sleeve Gastrectomy (the good, the bad, and the ugly), for me, the risks of surgery were much lower than if I had stayed on the same path.

If you haven't already, watch Dr. Matthew Weiner YouTube channel for what to expect before/after surgery.

This surgery has been the best decision I have ever made; it is by no means an easy way out, it is also NOT a ✨*Magic Wand*✨ that will make weight magically disappear. It takes mindful everyday work to stay present and use our permanent tool to be better and healthier versions of our current selves.

Sending you the best of wishes!

PS... and like RehabNurse, I was also had outpatient surgery, my surgeon keeps costs down for the less risky patients. My daughter came and stayed with me the first couple of days, when she saw I was fine she flew the coop (again!). I am happy to report that I had ZERO complications, a few minor discomforts, and was cleared for cardio exercise a week post-op. Though, I would recommend to take it easy the first two months, I wish I had in retrospect. I got real depleted about six weeks post op. It took me a couple of weeks to recuperate from fatigue/depression like symptoms.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Tommy1969's Avatar
    Name
    Tom
    Surgery date
    02/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tieu
    Last Activity
    06-07-2019 06:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 179 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Kelly! Welcome. I am 10 weeks out from surgery and went through all you are feeling. Right now my thought is why didn't I do this sooner as I can not wait until I see my finished product! The best part is that this is a tool that if used right will help teach you how to be more healthy and HAPPY! A big part of this is making sure your mind is right and the tool will help the body follow. My back is starting to get better as are my hips, I am more and more active by the day. Long way to go but I am being patient and kind to myself. Beats the self loathing I felt when I overate and the only thing on my mind was being overweight and unheathy. Now my thoughts are about accomplishments and loving myself more. I wish the best for you and this forum has been awesome for me. Great people who will help you along the way.

Original Weight - 479
    Day of Surgery - 459
    Month 1 - 438
    Month 2 - 418
    Month 3 - 409
    Month 6 - 389

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

It is normal to be scared. I have a very hard time coming out of anesthesia. I knew to expect it. When I came out of anesthesia I was miserable for about an hour. I had pain and was dry heaving. They put drugs in my IV to help with this. Before I knew it I was sleeping on and off. It is difficult to drink post op. You just have to sip frequently in amounts you can tolerate. I did better with warm liquids. And as you start to add soft foods and then real foods you have to learn what full feels like. You need to eat super slow to allow yourself to feel it. It only took me a few times of "overeating" to realize it was very uncomfortable and made you feel miserable. I can honestly say it has all been worth it. You learn to keep water and protein on you at all times...especially in the beginning. I always have a low carb protein bar in my purse and it is very convenient when you need something. I keep it in a Ziploc baggie so I can get a nibble when needed. I have found that I often need a bite on my commute home. Or when life gets in the way. I am almost 6 months post op and I know I still have to make sure I don't go too long without eating. While only you can make this decision I can say very few people regret it. There are possibilities of complications but if you do your research you will see they are minimal. This place is great for finding support when you need it. Just make sure you are cognizant post op about your nutrition as it is vital in our recoveries.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ortiz
    Last Activity
    06-16-2017 02:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts

I had the sleeve one week ago. Honestly for me so far the surgery itself was the easiest part. The surgeons are very competent and this is fairly routine although yes a major surgery. I didn't have much pain at all and was walking a few hours after the surgery. I'm having a harder time now finding things that I can tolerate to eat. I hate the protein shakes so find it hard to get down my protein and liquid requirements. My husband said he didn't realize I was such a fussy eater. So honestly the week after I'm having a harder time coping than before. Feel tired and weak. That being said I don't regret my decision. I am so sick of being overweight that this seems right. I'm very inspired by all the before and after pictures and know that in a few months I can have real food. I would recommend you talk to a surgeon about your medical concerns. They won't do it if they thought you were too big of a risk. Best of luck!

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm having a harder time now finding things that I can tolerate to eat. I hate the protein shakes so find it hard to get down my protein and liquid requirements. My husband said he didn't realize I was such a fussy eater.
    I think I wasted a lot of food those first couple of weeks trying to figure out what I could tolerate. Initially, 2-5 days, I used Premier shakes alone, but then as a base for my own concoctions because I couldn't stand them. Later on only used them as coffee creamer.

Things I ended up loving were miso soup with lots of blended tofu; soupy blended beans or lentils; several Indian dishes like Dahl and Sag Paneer, which are blended yellow lentils and blended spinach respectively. Minced poached Salmon, but tuna was harder to tolerate until 2 months post op. I could eat minced lean meat, but not chicken for a long time.

It is imperative that you get your minimal recommended protein, and drink plenty of fluids. Your body can't heal or function without proper nutrients.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

19. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you for your reassurance.
    I am a worry wart and I believe this would benefit
    Me in the long run. I'm not able to do much of anything but walk a bit here and there due to my back.
    Anyway I'm making an appointment and we will see what they say.

21. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you for reassurance. I am a bit more relaxed

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you !

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you, your info helps me a great deal as well as others.
    But I am going to make the call for an apt see what they say.

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I was just given the ok to start pre registration !
    As I just learned they will not do the sleeve with people who have Gerd.
    As it is now being discovered that even people who didn't have it
    Has it now. Please let me know your thoughts as I go through all these
    Other pre registration etc.