04/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-02-2018 09:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,988 Times
    Was Thanked 142 Times in 110 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 232 Times

Default 5 days post op, diagnosed with Bakers Cyst!

Hi everyone! I'm home from Mexico and recovering at home. Was SOOOOOOO glad to be home and sleep in my own bed! I received good care in TJ, but nothing beats the good old USA!

I do have some issues though right now. I walked about half a mile through the airports and my left leg, especially my knee area, swelled up so much that by the time I landed in Vegas I literally could not move my leg! It totally freaked me out, so Sunday morning I went to the ER because I thought I may have a blood clot. They did an ultrasound and discovered I have a condition called Bakers Cyst behind my knee. It's caused by an underlying case of arthritis which is exacerbated by excessive walking and standing. The worst part, besides the pain, is you have to literally stay off your leg in order for the swelling to go down. But I'm supposed to be walking post surgery to help get rid if the gas and recover! What's a girl to do? It's the typical rock and a hard place!

So, I'm laying down with my leg elevated most of the time, but I get up every hour or so to do a little walking. I'm not sure I'm helping anything! Has anyone else heard of this? When does the gas typically go away? The ER doc said the only permanent solution is surgery for the Cyst, seriously? I can't imagine I could have another surgery within the next few weeks! Ugh!

I just wanna say thanks for all the info, love and encouragement I've received from all of you. I literally could not have gone through with the VSG without you guys, you all mean the world to me. I love reading your posts and hearing about your journeys. Thanks for everything! I assume this problem will work out in some way, and I'll keep you posted as to my progress. Cheers, Patti
    It's never too late to be what you might have been . . .

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 5 days post op, diagnosed with Bakers Cyst!

Oh geez Patti, that's horrible! I know we're supposed to walk after surgery, but it sounds like you really can't right now. What you're doing (elevating the leg, and walking every hour or so) sounds good. But I wouldn't push it .

Having another surgery doesn't sound pleasant now either. (I had a procedure Friday... a thing that grew under my eye had to be cut out and it hurt like the dickens. I had no pain, no meds with the sleeve surgery and this bad boy hurts still. I look like some dog bit my face!)

I never had the gas pains so I don't know what to say. Other's might have ideas and suggestions.

Feel better!

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Hi Patti, glad to hear your surgery went well. Very Sorry to hear your arthritis decided to flare up after your surgery. Don't really know what to say. Seemed like worst part of gas pains were before I came home from TJ. Make sure when your lying down to move feet and wiggle legs if you don't get up every hour while awake during the day to prevent blood clots. Hope everything continues to heal with your sleeve. Good luck with your knee. Recommend finding a good orthopedic doctor that specializes in knees and get another opinion on best course of treatment. Take Care.
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

6. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/26/2016
    Surgeon
    Taiwan Kim
    Last Activity
    08-02-2019 07:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 138 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Hi Patti, I have experience with Baker's cyst. I have arthritis in my knees (which has been helped incredibly by weight loss) The only time the cyst flares up is when I have stressed my knee. It's just that it fills with fluid and then makes your knee so stiff (and sometimes sore). I would take your doctor's advice and not stress it, but you CAN walk around on it regularly. Once you have it under control, you will know what you can do and can't do. Good luck!

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member bigdogluver's Avatar
    Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    03/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alex Gandsas
    Last Activity
    12-24-2018 07:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 241 Times
    Was Thanked 253 Times in 180 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 99 Times
    Blog Entries

Glad everything is going well, besides the cyst. Your plan sounds good and hopefully this will be behind you quickly. All the best.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Actually, the reason the surgical team instruct us formerly obese people to walk it is because of the high risk of blood clots, not just gas flowing around.

Since you are required to be on bed rest you may want to look at a lymphatic gadget, can't believe the good ol USA ER hospital didn't send you home with one or at least gave you a prescription for one. I was diagnosed with metatarsalgia about 8 years ago as well with a torn medial meniscus, both due to dancing with high heels, but metatarsalgia is due to wearing ill-fitting shoes like high-heels, the foot that is affected is 1/2 size larger so I always chose the tighter shoe instead of a loose shoe lol! ANYWAY... when it got really bad i had to wear a foot contraption and stay off my feet for six weeks. They gave me a leg lymphatic massage suit to reduce risks of blood clots.

Maybe your insurance can help get you one?

Lymphatic messages are generally really good for overall wellbeing.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

13. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I had those leg massage things on in the hospital, I'm sure you would get a prescription for them. That way you can stay off your feet and not have to worry about blood clots. (I also had shots to prevent the clots, hubby had to give them to me when I came home from the hospital.)

So sorry to hear about the complication.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Congrats on your surgery Patti! Hopefully you will find a happy medium with taking care of your knee and also walking to alleviate the gas. You got this!! Big hugs!!

17. Said thanks: