03/09/2017
    Surgeon
    Mark Pleatman
    Last Activity
    05-30-2017 06:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Exercise!! My recommendations (and please add yours!)

As a preamble, I'm 63 with no physical problems except rotator cuff issues. While I was healthy PRIOR to surgery, I am no longer a spring chicken (although completely young at heart and amazingly flexible!). That being said, here are some things I have discovered about getting into an exercise routine.
    1. Not all of us have time to go for a walk. I literally work 12 hours a day as I own my own company. AND I live in Michigan where taking a walk -- even this morning on April 22 -- was out of the question due to the cold temps. I will likely go for a walk later today, but still that's only possible 4 months out of the year. And on weekends.
    2. Not all of us (probably 99% of us!) have the money to buy machines that would make an indoor routine more bearable. I'd love to have one of those nordic tracks with the TV screen taking you places around the world, but alas, having spent $11,000 on surgery, spending $2,000 (or $3,000) more is also out of the question.
    So, here is what I have found regarding those of you thinking of going the DVD route.
    PIYO: Yes, wonderful routines ... IF you can actually get your arms over your head (see rotator cuff problem above) and IF you can actually get into "down dog" position and up again. I'm still too fat to be able to manage it. I will still utilize the DVD, but I have to skip a lot of the routines.
    Kettlebells: There are a lot of routines out there, but long ago -- prior to surgery when I was once again determined to lose weight without help -- I bought Kettlebell 3-in-1 (Amy Bento). I don't know WHY the standard kettlebell swing gets your heart rate up BUT IT DOES. It is extremely easy on all body parts, and even tho I do have to get my arms over my head, I just get as far as I can. I can't yet get through a whole routine.
    Biggest Loser Vol. 1 - I just bought this (dirt cheap on the internet -- try Amazon or ebay or half.com) because I googled "good exercise dvd for overweight beginner" (or something very similar) and a lot of reviews recommended it. I just finished my first session (again, not getting all the way through, but I'll make it!) and I am VERY impressed. It does indeed seem to be made for folks just starting on their weight loss journey.
    Please tell me your recommendations and experiences! I have yet to be able to exercise every day, but I'm getting closer. (I'm trying to fit it in during the slow time for my business between around 12 and 1:30 -- as long as I get it in!)

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Exercise!! My recommendations (and please add yours!)

When I worked 12-hour night shifts (7:00pm to 7:00am), I worked out at a 24-hour gym in the morning for 45 to 60 minutes after work. The 12-hour shifts do not necessarily prevent people from exercising.

Nowadays I run 3 to 5 miles per day, either outdoors or on a treadmill at the gym. Although it does not become as cold here as it does in the upper Midwest, I am still able to run outdoors in 30 degree weather as long as I am dressed appropriately and donning thermal gloves.

Walking, jogging and running are free. The major cost associated with these original forms of exercise is a good pair of athletic shoes. After a few months of a walk/jog routine, my body adapted nicely and I was able to break into running.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Alix
    Surgery date
    03/09/2017
    Surgeon
    Mark Pleatman
    Last Activity
    05-30-2017 06:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts

As I said, not all of us are able to take a walk every day and there is NO gym anywhere near me. I live in very rural Michigan and since my business is internet based, I rarely leave the house during the week. I'm just not willing to spend an hour exercising when I'm up at 5 a.m., taking care of the house and 6 cats (don't ask) including litter boxes, and MAYBE watching 1/2 hour of TV while I drink coffee, then sitting down to work at 6:30 a.m., taking a break at 6 p.m., and usually getting back on the board at 8 or 9, doing as much as I can before nodding off at my computer.
    My post was directed at beginners (like me), and even older adults (like me). Maybe if I weighed 118 I could do more. But I don't and I'm not willing to take every spare minute I have to exercise. I need a short, CONVENIENT routine. I have never and will never find exercise enjoyable (even when I was in my late 20's, weighed 145, DID belong to a gym [in another state], and did aerobics 5 days a week). I need spare time to do something I ENJOY.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Walking -- it's free. Love it. You can do it anywhere. Well, a lot of places anyway.

Yoga class twice a week -- $25/month (I know -- that's insane!) something I do since I retired a year ago. Love it! I also do it at home when other daily exercise options aren't optimal. This morning I'd planned to do a 5K, but it's been raining all morning, so I blew that off and did a yoga "class" by myself in the bedroom, using a yoga class I record on Public Television. Again, it's free. Love it!

Aquarobics ... $30/month, which I do in the wintertime when it's just too bloody nasty to go outside (my personal choice). It's not only great weight resistance (and spares my old, arthritic knees a bit), but it's incredibly sociable, since it's full of some very funny, joyful people.

Good old-fashioned work -- for me, this is mostly gardening, mowing, work around our 25 acres. This is how our ancestors "exercised." It works for me, too.

One thing I've found over the last nearly 3 years associated with my WLS journey is that it really does help me stay active if I do a variety of exercises rather than doing the same thing all the time. I fully expect to always be switching things up -- either with specific exercises or classes or my schedule. Heck, I expect there'll come a time when "chair exercises" become a big part of my exercise regimen. I'm in this for the long run.

Your mileage may vary (YMMV).

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HillsdaleAlix View Post
    My post was directed at beginners (like me), and even older adults (like me). Maybe if I weighed 118 I could do more. But I don't and I'm not willing to take every spare minute I have to exercise.
    I did not start off weighing 118 pounds. I started my exercise routine as an out-of-shape, morbidly obese person and it did not take much time out of my busy day. I have lost in excess of 100 pounds.

The tone of your response comes across as a tad bit testy and somewhat defensive. Good luck to you in finding a workout routine that you find pleasurable. You have already taken the first important step by getting weight loss surgery. Cheers to a more healthful lifestyle.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

7. Said thanks:

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    Walking -- it's free. Love it. You can do it anywhere. Well, a lot of places anyway.

Yoga class twice a week -- $25/month (I know -- that's insane!) something I do since I retired a year ago. Love it! I also do it at home when other daily exercise options aren't optimal. This morning I'd planned to do a 5K, but it's been raining all morning, so I blew that off and did a yoga "class" by myself in the bedroom, using a yoga class I record on Public Television. Again, it's free. Love it!

Aquarobics ... $30/month, which I do in the wintertime when it's just too bloody nasty to go outside (my personal choice). It's not only great weight resistance (and spares my old, arthritic knees a bit), but it's incredibly sociable, since it's full of some very funny, joyful people.

Good old-fashioned work -- for me, this is mostly gardening, mowing, work around our 25 acres. This is how our ancestors "exercised." It works for me, too.

One thing I've found over the last nearly 3 years associated with my WLS journey is that it really does help me stay active if I do a variety of exercises rather than doing the same thing all the time. I fully expect to always be switching things up -- either with specific exercises or classes or my schedule. Heck, I expect there'll come a time when "chair exercises" become a big part of my exercise regimen. I'm in this for the long run.

Your mileage may vary (YMMV).
    I remember how my grandpa who farmed in northern Wisconsin used to laugh at me when I would hike around the farm land or bring my bike up from the city for "exercise" and ride the country roads. His life was exercise!

10. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm younger but with all my health issues exercise is always an issue. After six months I was lighter so it became easier on my joints and ligaments. So take it slow, you will feel much better in six month and it will get easier to exercise.

I walk a lot when it's not raining (actually today I was walking in the rain, forgot my umbrella..) I did start using a bike again after a hiatus of more than 30 years. It was a big victory because only two years ago I was not able to stay on it.

I use the Sparkpeople videos often when I can't go out, there's a few for people with disabilities so I always find something I can use.
    Swimming is really easy on my joints but not always convenient.
    Yoga (videos too) is great for posture and relaxation. I also use a few dvds to learn salsa. But when I scrub the bathrooms or the kitchen floor by hand, if it takes me one hour and I sweat, I do count that as exercise.

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

If you want to learn to run then I suggest the C25K app for your phone. They have free versions. It eases you into running. There are also plenty of free apps for strength training that use your own body weight and chairs. One example is the 7 minute workout. No equipment necessary. Also you can find videos on youtube. All free with no equipment required. Good luck!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I'm into the outdoors, it is good for my body and soul. Nature relaxes me after my crazy job teaching crazy middle school children. (No insult to parents of children that age, buy you understand, because you live with them.) I love walking, hiking, and running. Just got back to these things (except the running) after an injury and feel so good. I never use weather as an excuse, I have the warmest Land's End down coat they sell, comfy boiled wool gloves, I can dress for the cold no problem. I even have those spikey things from Costco to attach to the bottom of my shoes for when it's icy out. Running in an inch or two of fresh snow is heaven. (My ancestors are from Norway, we like winter.)

Then here in Missouri we also have the extreme, very hot and humid summers. I solve that problem by getting outside as soon as the sun comes up, and hiking in my shady woods.

Spring and fall - perfection! Though today it was unseasonably cool and I actually wore my down vest with a long sleeved shirt and jeans. But the sun, and brand new leaves, it doesn't get any better!

Ann, I am retiring this year (in 24 1/2 school days, but who is counting) and I want to get into yoga. Never done it, always wanted to. I am going to have to find some place with yoga for beginners.

By the way, I'm 60, so no spring chicken (as my 90 year old mother tells me). I realize that us older folks have more aches and pains, but by maintaining a healthy weight, it's really no big deal. Just find something you like and start out slow, don't push it. We all started as beginners with weight issues, and exercise helped us lose the weight!

I can totally attest to the benefits of exercise. When I broke my neck this winter I was not permitted to do any exercise for 2 months. I had maintained my weight to the pound for over 2 years; basically no matter what I did I weighed the same every single day. When I stopped exercising I gained 4 pounds that I'm still working on. It's like I lost that magic potion when I couldn't work out. I still have to take things slow, and probably won't be running for a long time.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Forrester
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts

I do les mills on demand. There's a good variety of work outs from easy to difficult and 20 minutes to 60 minutes.

Surgery Day Weight 1/11: 300
    Month 1: -34 pounds, -25 inches

17. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by RehabNurse View Post
    I did not start off weighing 118 pounds. I started my exercise routine as an out-of-shape, morbidly obese person and it did not take much time out of my busy day. I have lost in excess of 100 pounds.

The tone of your response comes across as a tad bit testy and somewhat defensive. Good luck to you in finding a workout routine that you find pleasurable. You have already taken the first important step by getting weight loss surgery. Cheers to a more healthful lifestyle.

I want to weigh 118! Go you!

19. Said thanks:

Name
    hmmmmm I wonder
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Romanelli
    Last Activity
    01-09-2018 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 370 Times in 237 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 96 Times
    Blog Entries

OK so maybe I'm not grasping your problem. You say you work all these hours but from home as its a computer based business. So that tells me you have a lot of time to work out you just may not see it as working out. Try standing up and walking in place while working they make a bunch of inexpensive rising computer stands these days. That will allow you to work and walk at the same time. You can also using those kettle bells you spoke of do lifting exercises while working. Look up online exercise while sitting you will find a bunch of different things you can do to fit into the life style you have. Buy resistance bands and incorporate them into your daily work day,example place one around both legs with your legs close together and the band just above your knees then open and close your legs this will be very similar to using a machine at the gym. It might even benefit you on a day off to go to a gym and just watch different exercises people are doing then incorporate that into your daily work life.

Starting weight 328
    pre-op weight- 298
    1 month out- 262
    2 month out- 244
    3 month out- 227
    4 month out- 215
    5 month out- 203
    6 month out- 195
    7 month out- 194 in 1 month stall
    8 month out- 192
    9 month out-190
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Forrester
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts

replace your office chair with a yoga ball. It's great for your core.

Surgery Day Weight 1/11: 300
    Month 1: -34 pounds, -25 inches

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Merry Mary's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    09/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 217 Times in 151 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

Find something you enjoy and it won't seem like exercise or work. Swim, bike, walk, hike, garden, shovel snow, etc. just get moving. I dealt with bad weather, icey walks, rain, by going to the largest store around and walking up and down every aisle. If you want to walk outside, bundle up and go out. Making excuses why I couldn't exercise contributed to me being in the condition I was in that required surgical intervention to lose weight.

Nothing says all your exercise needs to be continuous. You can walk 15 minutes at a time. Over the course of the day, those 15 minute sessions add up.
    HW - 394
    SW - 366
    One year post op - 191
    Goal - 177 met 16 months post op
    Current - 174

220 lost since June 19, 2014

25. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

So many good ideas.

BTW, Les Mills's stuff is awesome! A few years ago (in another town) I did a "Body Pump" class of his. Scared the pee-wadding out of me. But I loved it.

BTW, to HillsdaleAlix ... I'm 71 years old. No spring chicken here either. I warn you that when you lose some more weight you may find a different relationship with exercise. Or not. But I hope you do enjoy it more, because it can make such a big difference in how you feel.

Either way, you're really right about one thing: It is SO much easier to exercise when you're not morbidly obese. Many of us are living proof of that!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89