03/09/2017
    Surgeon
    Mark Pleatman
    Last Activity
    05-30-2017 06:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Exercise!! My recommendations (and please add yours!)

Really hard to lift those kettlebells while you're typing on a keyboard! Tend to go thru a lot of keyboards that way.
    While I understand what you're saying about standing while working, that is not an option for me as the office is in my basement and I work on three separate dual monitor systems some days (plus the lap top upstairs). And sitting on a ball while working! No, can't. I have to CONCENTRATE on my job (I abstract title property). I'm not really looking for new exercise routines as the walking during the summer (when I can), and the three DVD's I'm using is enough -- at least for now. But I'm certainly interested in what everyone else does.
    I would love the options I had in Tucson when I belonged to a great gym called For Ladies Only (and I wonder if it's still there). They had everything, including a pool. But living in rural Michigan (with Amish neighbors and a COUNTY population total of 45,000) those aren't an option.
    And while I admire people who run/jog and do marathons, that will never, EVER be me. (See earlier comments about "hating exercise" and times that by 10 for running -- I think this is why I've never had joint issues whereas my trim 79 year old aunt, just had her knee replaced (with the other knee and hip in the near future). She's certainly healthy in every other way, but jogging in the 70's an 80's really did in her joints. It's just not in the cards for me, but I have done aerobics and once I can get into "down dog" and other floor poses, I think I really enjoy yoga more often.)

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Tracey
    Surgery date
    03/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Verboonen
    Last Activity
    05-24-2018 10:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 47 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

This may seem strange but I use my Wii. I have a wii fit which weighs you every morning and has many different forms of exercise. It is a great way too ease into it. I live in Canada so I understand the not able to go for walks for alot of times throughout the year. I especially find since my surgery I am always freezing and can't bring myself to go outside and get more chilled. I have started using my wii fit and do 30 minutes of fee step. You can set it for ten minutes., 20 minutes, or 30 and change the channel while you do it and watch something on tv. It also has many other exercises that are only 2-4 minutes to change things up. I try to get 30 minutes in but if not possible you can do shorter ones that fit your schedule better and it is fun at the same time. They also use these in alot of senior homes so they are safe exercises for any age. As you get better it unlocks tougher ones and eventually builds up as you become more fit so you don't feel like an out of shape failure when you start. I always felt so pathetic when I would start a new exercise program and couldn't complete it. This is just you competing against your self.

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    08-23-2020 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times
    Was Thanked 475 Times in 285 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

Won't likely work for you, but it's doing miracles for me,

RUN RUN RUN or WALK WALK WALK, or BIKE BIKE BIKE...

Since my surgery (2/2/2017) I have lost approx. 70 lbs! I have rediscovered my love for running and biking! I either run 2 - 3 miles or I mountain bike 6 - 10. Everyday, no exceptions. I feel great after and really look forward to my workouts. I am also challenged for time (2 young kids, wife, volunteer work, and paid work) but I make it an absolute priority to work out (cardio) everyday. Nothing helps lose weight like running!
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

"Never take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!"

Remember, in this thing, it's a good thing to be a loser!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG
    Target Weight -205 That's right, 205!!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member Merry Mary's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    09/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 217 Times in 151 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

Quote Originally Posted by HillsdaleAlix View Post
    Please tell me your recommendations and experiences! I have yet to be able to exercise every day, but I'm getting closer. (I'm trying to fit it in during the slow time for my business between around 12 and 1:30 -- as long as I get it in!)

Quote Originally Posted by HillsdaleAlix View Post
    I'm not really looking for new exercise routines as the walking during the summer (when I can), and the three DVD's I'm using is enough -- at least for now. But I'm certainly interested in what everyone else does.
    I'm confused. In your original post you asked for recommendations and experiences of what everyone else does as far as exercising. You got numerous replies with ways to incorporate exercise into your busy day. Your next post states you're not looking for new exercise routines. So what exactly do you want?

Exercising doesn't have to be going to a gym or any formal exercise program. It's just a matter of get moving.
    HW - 394
    SW - 366
    One year post op - 191
    Goal - 177 met 16 months post op
    Current - 174

220 lost since June 19, 2014

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Alix
    Surgery date
    03/09/2017
    Surgeon
    Mark Pleatman
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

You're right! :-) It ain't gonna work for me. You said it all with one sentence "I have rediscovered my love for running and biking." "Love" and "running" or "biking" is just not something I can wrap my brain around. Sort of how I feel about housework: Maybe it never killed anyone, but why take chances?

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Alix
    Surgery date
    03/09/2017
    Surgeon
    Mark Pleatman
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

That doesn't seem strange at all! I had a blast playing various games with my grandson and doing the Wii fit is a great idea.
    Now I just have to remember how to get the darn thing to connect. (It took me 10 minutes to get the TV off DirecTV and reaching the DVD player...where's my grandson when I really need him!)

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Tracey
    Surgery date
    03/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Verboonen
    Last Activity
    05-24-2018 10:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 47 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

If you have the wii fit board there are many different types of exercises to do on it. There are strength categories, aerobics, balance etc. I find they are at least fun and you can build up to more strenuous. Plus if it gets you in some play time with your grandchildren bonus! I bought my wii fit board many years ago and most people have got rid of them or bought new versions so you can probably get a used one cheap. I do 30 minutes of free step when I can't go outside and that usually gets me 3000 steps in. Then I do a few other quick activities like hula hooping although be sure to close your blinds as your neighbours might think you are a nut case.

Gastric Sleeve Member americangrrl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/10/2016
    Surgeon
    Hernandez
    Last Activity
    10-18-2017 07:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 132 Times in 91 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Just check around ur area.... almost every yoga class is for any level.... virtually every pose/class is able to be modified to whatever ur capabilities are....