Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Saw my primary Care Doctor Today

I see my surgeon next week for my one month follow up after surgery, but today I saw my PCP (the one who suggested the sleeve surgery back in December... and got me ready to go!)
    I told her I was doing OK, I could be taking in more water and more food, but that my big complaint right now is the fatigue. Now, I have fatigue normally (from MS, RA and fibromyalgia). My neuro explained to me YEARS AGO that the type of fatigue I endure daily is called ''lassitude'. It is thought to result from poor nerve conduction caused by damage to the myelin around the nerve fibers in the central nervous system (CNS). Because of the demyelination, your body has to work harder just to transmit messages between your brain and other parts of your body. But this post op fatigue is an entirely different animal. I can feel reins or restraints on me pulling me back. It's not pleasant.

She explained to me that I not only underwent a major surgery recently, but I am lacking in calories. Protein isn't the same... I am not getting in enough calories and my body is reacting. (I should have figured that one out.) Once I get to eat again in another couple months, I am hoping the fatigue is gone, because I hate this feeling of being lethargic.

When I see my surgeon next week, I want to ask him WHEN I can get back to the gym. I am walking 2 miles a day now, but the heat is slowly creeping up here in the Vegas desert and I am NOT dragging my carcass around the neighborhood waiting to keel over. I'd rather use the treadmill or elliptical at the gym where it's cooler. But I also want to know when I can start taking Zumba again and other group classes.

When did you guys get the OK to do something physical? (I may have read answers at one time, but my brain has been in a haze lately.)

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Saw my primary Care Doctor Today

My surgeon wanted us up to 10,000 steps (5 miles I think) ASAP. I was doing that within a week or two. I had a lifting restriction of 20 pounds for three weeks and then I was cleared for normal activity. I hate formal excercise and haven't been to a gym in at least ten years, but if lifting 40-60 pound dogs, squatting, bending and kneeling 10-12 hours/day at work and then coming home to lugging 40 pound bags of feed, 80 pound hay bales, 5 gallon buckets of water, and shoveling snow counts as something physical, then I was doing that at 3 weeks Postop. But again, these were things my body was used to doing. It's not like I jumped into it after couch surfing for years. So I guess if you have been doing Zumba and treadmill/elliptical all along, prior to surgery, your body should be able to handle getting back into it anytime.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

It varies by doctor. My doctor specifically said activity as tolerated. To listen to my body and work out when I was ready to do so. I think becoming in tune with our bodies during this procedure is important. Giving it what it needs....no more, no less. Hope you start getting some energy soon.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Forrester
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Mine gave clearance for everything including lifting at 30 days post op. I did start doing zumba and body combat before that.

Surgery Day Weight 1/11: 300
    Month 1: -34 pounds, -25 inches

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Newlife2017's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bang
    Last Activity
    10-24-2018 06:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I was cleared for activity after my 30-day visit. As others have mentioned, listen to your body. Maybe try a Zumba class but don't go full out the first time and see how you feel. Good luck!

Starting weight - 284
    Pre-Op weight - 228
    1 month out - 214
    2 months out - 205
    3 months out - 197
    4 months out - 193
    5 months out - 188
    6 months out - 181
    7 months out -
    8 months out -
    9 months out -
    10 months out -
    11 months out -
    1 year surgiversary -

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

I hear ya on the heat - supposed to hit 100 again here in the Valley! I get bored out walking plus of course the heat is unbearable so I have to have a regiment of going into a gym and getting on a bike or treadmill. I used to belong to a regular gym but then 3 years ago moved into a gated community that has 2 pools and 2 workout facilities within walking distance from my house. Not real fancy equipment but a bike, TV and treadmill with left and chest presses - good enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by DesrtGal View Post
    I see my surgeon next week for my one month follow up after surgery, but today I saw my PCP (the one who suggested the sleeve surgery back in December... and got me ready to go!)
    I told her I was doing OK, I could be taking in more water and more food, but that my big complaint right now is the fatigue. Now, I have fatigue normally (from MS, RA and fibromyalgia). My neuro explained to me YEARS AGO that the type of fatigue I endure daily is called ''lassitude'. It is thought to result from poor nerve conduction caused by damage to the myelin around the nerve fibers in the central nervous system (CNS). Because of the demyelination, your body has to work harder just to transmit messages between your brain and other parts of your body. But this post op fatigue is an entirely different animal. I can feel reins or restraints on me pulling me back. It's not pleasant.

She explained to me that I not only underwent a major surgery recently, but I am lacking in calories. Protein isn't the same... I am not getting in enough calories and my body is reacting. (I should have figured that one out.) Once I get to eat again in another couple months, I am hoping the fatigue is gone, because I hate this feeling of being lethargic.

When I see my surgeon next week, I want to ask him WHEN I can get back to the gym. I am walking 2 miles a day now, but the heat is slowly creeping up here in the Vegas desert and I am NOT dragging my carcass around the neighborhood waiting to keel over. I'd rather use the treadmill or elliptical at the gym where it's cooler. But I also want to know when I can start taking Zumba again and other group classes.

When did you guys get the OK to do something physical? (I may have read answers at one time, but my brain has been in a haze lately.)

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

I am sure I will get the GO ahead to exercise when I see him next week.... my surgery was 4 weeks ago today. I can't believe it.
    I am going to start wearing my phone with the FIT app I have on it all day long instead of just my walking because I am cheating myself out of steps. (Going to stores, walking around here in general, etc....) I really need a FitBit watch. Mother's Day?

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

Gastric Sleeve Member johnnebby's Avatar
    Last Activity
    07-24-2023 06:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post