Dr Van Wagner
    Last Activity
    06-15-2017 02:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

Default 4 months post surgery, feeling discouraged

Today marks 4 months since surgery for me. Sadly, I had a gain this week...trying to remain positive about that, after all, it was only 2 lbs. I know it's going to fluctuate. Especially with it being that time of the month. But, 2 lbs here, 2 lbs there....they can quickly add up! And, I'm getting tired. Discouraged even. Not so much from the gain, just in general. I shouldn't be feeling this way, I've been doing so well! This is the most I've lost. Last time I attempted, and was successful, at losing a decent amount of weight...I lost 40 lbs and then fell off the wagon. I'm currently down 55 lbs. I've definitely surpassed that 40. And, it's noticeable. Even I see the difference. But, I'm struggling. I've eaten utter junk for the past couple of days. And, I know I'm doing it as I do it. I tell myself not to but then do it anyway. I know a lot of this is mental and the surgery doesn't fix the mental issues. I'm trying to figure out of these cravings and feelings of being mentally tired and drained, are hormonal due to female things or am I just in need of a vacation? I'm thinking I need to spice up my gym routine. Too much repetitiveness can get boring. I'd like to start weight training but I don't know where to begin and all the big buff dudes on that side of the gym are pretty intimidating, lol. At this point, I guess I'm just rambling but I need to figure out how to MAINTAIN THE MOTIVATION!!!?? How do I continue my success? I really, really, really want to be one of those people who reach Onderland! (I posted this as a blog as well, not trying to be obnoxious by posting twice, just thought posting here might elicit some advice.)
    Jessie

*Always stay humble and kind*

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/23/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brent Bell
    Last Activity
    05-24-2017 11:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times

Default Re: 4 months post surgery, feeling discouraged

First off, losing 55 pounds in four months is a big deal. Have you celebrated that in any way? Have you done something good for your body this week like get a manicure, a massage, your hair done or even buying a new top or pair of shoes? The biggest part of this journey isn't the massive losses all the time but the little things. It's realizing that you've gone 134 days without drinking a Coke or that instead of eating a Hershey's bar you are just as satisfied with a good chocolate protein bar instead.

I know that gaining anything -- even if it's just 2 pounds -- is a horrible feeling after surgery. It's something that none of us ever want to see on the scale. Be glad it's just 2 pounds though and your body is working to warn you to stay away from the the bad stuff because it can't do it's job on losing if you don't. Take things one day at a time and if you can't, do it one meal/one hour at a time. Concentrate on doing good for that day alone and you'll see that the days keep adding up (and pounds come off) when you promise to just stay good one day at a time.

As for motivation, everybody has their own things that matter the most. Mine was keeping a certain shirt out and visible each day that I couldn't fit in as a reminder to keeping on target so that I could. I actually waited too long to try it on because when I did on a whim, I found out it was too big for me by then and didn't fit as well as I had wanted to. It also helps to find some activity that you really enjoy doing that gives you some exercise but also is fun at the same time. I bowl and golf regularly because it's fun for me, I have teams I play with that keep me coming back each week and it gets me out of the house moving.
    It's never too late to be who you might have been. ~ George Eliot

Gastric Sleeve Member Tommy1969's Avatar
    Name
    Tom
    Surgery date
    02/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tieu
    Last Activity
    06-07-2019 06:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 179 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times
    Blog Entries

Congrats on your weight loss! 55 pounds is pretty darn good! I am certainly not an expert but you may want to consider talking with a professional as I believe most of us had put on the weight to begin with because there were underlying mental issues with food. I don't think many of us purposely set out to be overweight.

The good news from what I can tell from your post is that you are VERY self aware which is a strength. Have that long talk with yourself and try to reset. I am not as far out as you but can relate as my loss has stalled the last week or so, so I am changing up a few things. I understand it's a process and its how I handle the adversities that will matter the most in the long run.

Best of luck to you!

Original Weight - 479
    Day of Surgery - 459
    Month 1 - 438
    Month 2 - 418
    Month 3 - 409
    Month 6 - 389

6. Said thanks:

Name
    hmmmmm I wonder
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Romanelli
    Last Activity
    01-09-2018 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 370 Times in 237 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 96 Times
    Blog Entries

Your doing very well but as you said your giving into urges my suggestions are as follows

1 ask your gym if they have a trainer who can instruct you, my gym offers it for free with my membership and as I have serious back issues I needed 1 to guide me with a weight routine.

2 You hit the nail on the head about a lot of this being mental, I would suggest a therapist who specializes in food addiction.

Starting weight 328
    pre-op weight- 298
    1 month out- 262
    2 month out- 244
    3 month out- 227
    4 month out- 215
    5 month out- 203
    6 month out- 195
    7 month out- 194 in 1 month stall
    8 month out- 192
    9 month out-190
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

Jessie, what you are going through is the same thing we are all going through. Whether we admit it or not, we all go through this. Find your reason why and think on the why when you feel like indulging. It is hard to maintain and I know when I fell like this that I need to stay out of the drugstores/grocery stores/etc. My willpower will fall when I am in the wrong mindset. make sure before you go in that you have eaten before so you are not making poor choices based on that and avoid the problem aisles when you cant fuel up ahead of time.

And don't you dare get down on yourself, you are crushing this. 55 pounds in 4 months-come on that is fantastic. Find good snacks that will satiate you. Sugar-free pudding is always a go to for me and if you enjoy, then that once a week have some Halo Top Ice Cream(really good). Don't deny because that is doomed to failure-replace with acceptable alternatives. If you need help with that, you should always be able to talk to a nutritionist.

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Tommy1969's Avatar
    Name
    Tom
    Surgery date
    02/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tieu
    Last Activity
    06-07-2019 06:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 179 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_ryder View Post
    Jessie, what you are going through is the same thing we are all going through. Whether we admit it or not, we all go through this. Find your reason why and think on the why when you feel like indulging. It is hard to maintain and I know when I fell like this that I need to stay out of the drugstores/grocery stores/etc. My willpower will fall when I am in the wrong mindset. make sure before you go in that you have eaten before so you are not making poor choices based on that and avoid the problem aisles when you cant fuel up ahead of time.

And don't you dare get down on yourself, you are crushing this. 55 pounds in 4 months-come on that is fantastic. Find good snacks that will satiate you. Sugar-free pudding is always a go to for me and if you enjoy, then that once a week have some Halo Top Ice Cream(really good). Don't deny because that is doomed to failure-replace with acceptable alternatives. If you need help with that, you should always be able to talk to a nutritionist.
    Well said! Yes, I too enjoy the sugar free pudding, only 60 calories and is actually filling!! This weekend I was also craving ice cream so I took a oikos greek yogurt, mixed berry flavor and put it in my nutri bullet with ice cubes and skim milk. Very low fat/lo cal treat that crushed my craving.

Original Weight - 479
    Day of Surgery - 459
    Month 1 - 438
    Month 2 - 418
    Month 3 - 409
    Month 6 - 389

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Definitely mental. I know it is hard when the bad for you foods are so damn yummy. And we rationalize that we eat a small amount of food so it won't hurt us too much. But we can consume a lot more of those bad foods than we can nutrient dense foods. One thing that helps me mentally is knowing that my body needs the good nutrients and that everything I put in my body takes up space in my sleeve. So I try to make every bite count. And I do allow my self occasional bites every once in a while if I REALLY want it but I have to eat my protein first. Most of the time my protein does not allow space for it. And at night I eat a couple of sugar free popsicles so that seems to keep my sweet cravings in check. I do know that for me if I eat sweets or carbs I crave them more and it is a vicious cycle.
    As for the 2 lbs, we do fluctuate. Don't beat yourself up too much. But I think that as long as you are holding yourself accountable you will be ok. Take a breath, step back, and reevaluate. Sending you big virtual hugs!

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/13/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Gmora
    Last Activity
    01-21-2018 05:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 48 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 569 Times
    Blog Entries

At my gym personal trainers are an extra cost that I can't afford. Boot camp - working with a trainer and 3 to 5 other people is a quarter of the cost. I paid 300 for 3 sessions a week for 6 weeks. Or see if you can afford a trainer for 3 to 5 sessions to help you work out a routine. Some gyms offer group classes as well.

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Jessie,

This time of year could be hard for many, news season can trigger issues....for some it's depression, for me it's acne...in my forties I can still get two ugly pimples, and they move in for two weeks!!

2 pounds gain is not that bad indeed, and it could be coming from water retention. But I understand where you are coming from: last May I took a medication that made me gain several pounds in two days, I was really stressed about it. It did go away with a bonus a few days later but I was surprised how bad I felt.
    What helped me was to look at what I lost at that point (in five months I lost more than in a full one year diet) look at the sizes lost and try to breeze through my nose (I'm not kidding, kind of meditation/relaxation I use when my asthma kicks in).

Of course, nutrition here is an issue and may be you could try to eat more nutritious food to help with the cravings. Each time I have sweet cravings, my iron is low, when I have crazy cravings my iron is very very low. Did you have a blood test lately to check your vitamin levels?

But may be you should eat a little more often and avoid to be hungry (3 meals 2 snacks) and have almonds or cheese around to cut the cravings. But you need to cut the junk food for sure because even without the weight issue, it's just empty calories full of chemicals plus it's addictive!

Working out is important and it's been a major issues for with many injuries since surgery. But just walking is already doing great so you could start with counting your steps and do a walk program or even start a 5 K training. It's always good to have goals...

Good luck and take care!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Hi Jessie, I agree with the advice and info already shared with you but wanted to congratulate you on your success and for acknowledging your situation before it really creates a bigger problem. One thing I did to add more fun to my exercise routine is to join four hiking groups and a cycling group and its a way to meet friends that are into the outdoors and being fit. One of my hiking groups as classes put on by Personal Trainers too. Doesn't cost very much to join or participate. I'm having the time of my life. In June I have two camping and hiking adventures and in October we are planning a tour of multiple National Parks and we will camp and hike. Never thought this would be possible. So while I'm having fun I'm getting a huge workout. Good Luck with everything. Keep in touch
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member bigdogluver's Avatar
    Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    03/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alex Gandsas
    Last Activity
    12-24-2018 07:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 241 Times
    Was Thanked 253 Times in 180 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 99 Times
    Blog Entries

Your weight loss is significant and can't be overlooked. That is fantastic! Everyone feels the blues, it's a continuous cycle in our psyche. Weight fluctuates due to water retention brought on be drinking more or less than average - even high humidity and raining days will cause you to retain fluids.

My motivation changes everyday, sometimes moment by moment. But, what I try to tell myself is "listen to your stomach." Is it telling me 'stop I'm full' or ' don't I don't like that'? Listening to it helps to drown out my fear/head hunger. Or, another technique is I asked myself if I want to go back on some of the medicines I just stopped - like taking insulin shots - which I hated with a passion. Another thing - I have to constantly tell myself to be realistic at this stage that I am at. I'll have to modified my goals when weight loss is much slower. I'll have to remember that I've gained good health and energy from not having to carry so much weight. Yes, all of this looks good on paper but in real life, it takes some work to keep it in focus.

You will reach your goal, there's no reason to give up on yourself. You're winning! Old hate messages will always run in the background, urging us to self-destruct, but we now have new tapes/messages that tell us about our accomplishments and support our goals. You can do this!

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member NrseJessie's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    12/19/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Van Wagner
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RHDB View Post
    First off, losing 55 pounds in four months is a big deal. Have you celebrated that in any way? Have you done something good for your body this week like get a manicure, a massage, your hair done or even buying a new top or pair of shoes? The biggest part of this journey isn't the massive losses all the time but the little things. It's realizing that you've gone 134 days without drinking a Coke or that instead of eating a Hershey's bar you are just as satisfied with a good chocolate protein bar instead.

I know that gaining anything -- even if it's just 2 pounds -- is a horrible feeling after surgery. It's something that none of us ever want to see on the scale. Be glad it's just 2 pounds though and your body is working to warn you to stay away from the the bad stuff because it can't do it's job on losing if you don't. Take things one day at a time and if you can't, do it one meal/one hour at a time. Concentrate on doing good for that day alone and you'll see that the days keep adding up (and pounds come off) when you promise to just stay good one day at a time.

As for motivation, everybody has their own things that matter the most. Mine was keeping a certain shirt out and visible each day that I couldn't fit in as a reminder to keeping on target so that I could. I actually waited too long to try it on because when I did on a whim, I found out it was too big for me by then and didn't fit as well as I had wanted to. It also helps to find some activity that you really enjoy doing that gives you some exercise but also is fun at the same time. I bowl and golf regularly because it's fun for me, I have teams I play with that keep me coming back each week and it gets me out of the house moving.

I agree with you, 55 lbs is amazing. I keep telling myself that. Never have I ever been able to lose that much on my own. I haven't done anything special to celebrate. That's a fantastic idea. And, I am in dire need of a pedicure. Maybe I'll do just that. I need to adapt that mantra...ONE DAY AT A TIME...maybe I'll get a shirt made with that saying so I can wear it to the gym as a reminder. I've been trying to incorporate some fun stuff as exercise as well. A friend and I play Pokémon Go and we've been taking her dog and my niece and nephew to local parks to play that or to Geocache. Now that the weather's getting warmer, I'm super excited to start doing more things outside.
    Jessie

25. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member NrseJessie's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    12/19/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Van Wagner
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tamera2 View Post
    Hi Jessie, I agree with the advice and info already shared with you but wanted to congratulate you on your success and for acknowledging your situation before it really creates a bigger problem. One thing I did to add more fun to my exercise routine is to join four hiking groups and a cycling group and its a way to meet friends that are into the outdoors and being fit. One of my hiking groups as classes put on by Personal Trainers too. Doesn't cost very much to join or participate. I'm having the time of my life. In June I have two camping and hiking adventures and in October we are planning a tour of multiple National Parks and we will camp and hike. Never thought this would be possible. So while I'm having fun I'm getting a huge workout. Good Luck with everything. Keep in touch
    Thank you so much for the encouragement and advice. I would never have thought of a hiking or cycling group. I've been contemplating riding but as I haven't been on an actual bicycle in years, I'm a little nervous about doing so. Hiking...I'm short, slow, and still pretty overweight so I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to keep up, lol. I've been trying to incorporate some fun stuff as exercise as well. I mentioned in a response to someone else, a friend and I play Pokémon Go and we've been taking her dog and my niece and nephew to local parks to play that or to Geocache. Now that the weather's getting warmer, I'm super excited to start doing more things outside. We're planning to attempt kayaking at a local lake once the weather gets warm enough and I'm super stoked about that!
    Jessie

27. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times

Quote Originally Posted by NrseJessie View Post
    Thank you so much for the encouragement and advice. I would never have thought of a hiking or cycling group. I've been contemplating riding but as I haven't been on an actual bicycle in years, I'm a little nervous about doing so. Hiking...I'm short, slow, and still pretty overweight so I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to keep up, lol. I've been trying to incorporate some fun stuff as exercise as well. I mentioned in a response to someone else, a friend and I play Pokémon Go and we've been taking her dog and my niece and nephew to local parks to play that or to Geocache. Now that the weather's getting warmer, I'm super excited to start doing more things outside. We're planning to attempt kayaking at a local lake once the weather gets warm enough and I'm super stoked about that!
    That sounds fun, I'm planning to take Kayaking lessons through my local REI, We start lessons in a big pool then move to a lake. I'm super excited about that too. Something Ive been wanting to try.

I have good news for you!!! They have hiking groups for us beginers and they are geared so people don't feel like you were saying and they goon easy rated hikes. Please look into it if you think that would be fun. I have met the nicest people and they are really supportive in my weightloss jorney. I still have 85lbs to go. Costco in my area had hiking poles for 29.99$ great deal. One of mygroups is called Hiking for Everybody!! Our leader lost 110 pounds and started hiking to loose weight and can remember being last now a few years later shes leading the group fit and tream. There are groups for every level and they are good about explaining up front what they are about so you can try the one were you'll feel comfortable, If I can do you can too and I hadn't been on a bike in years then I lost a chunck of weight then tried and I was shoked how easy it was compared to last time. Found a cycling group that offers beginners rides and I'm slowly moving up. REI offers all kinds of classes in various things too. My groups go through Meetup. Just googled hiking groups and listed my city and bam they all started poping up. check it out. Not even 3mos post op and still on the journey too. Good luck with everything. To bad we don't live in the same city, then I show you first hand. If it interest you check out hiking groups I'm sure you can find one. Good luck your on the right track. let us know how everything goes. You Got This : )
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

29. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times

Quote Originally Posted by NrseJessie View Post
    That sounds fun, I'm planning to take Kayaking lessons through my local REI, We start lessons in a big pool then move to a lake. I'm super excited about that too. Something Ive been wanting to try.

I have good news for you!!! They have hiking groups for us beginers and they are geared so people don't feel like you were saying and they go on easy rated hikes. Please look into it if you think that would be fun. I have met the nicest people and they are really supportive in my weightloss jorney. I still have 85lbs to go. Costco in my area had hiking poles for 29.99$ great deal. One of mygroups is called Hiking for Everybody!! Our leader lost 110 pounds and started hiking to loose weight and can remember being last now a few years later shes leading the group fit and tream. There are groups for every level and they are good about explaining up front what they are about so you can try the one were you'll feel comfortable, If I can do you can too and I hadn't been on a bike in years then I lost a chunck of weight then tried and I was shoked how easy it was compared to last time. Found a cycling group that offers beginners rides and I'm slowly moving up. REI offers all kinds of classes in various things too. My groups go through Meetup. Just googled hiking groups and listed my city and bam they all started poping up. check it out. Not even 3mos post op and still on the journey too. Good luck with everything. To bad we don't live in the same city, then I show you first hand. If it interest you check out hiking groups I'm sure you can find one. Good luck your on the right track. let us know how everything goes. You Got This : )