Surgeon
    Dr Adair
    Last Activity
    07-31-2018 02:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 47 Times

Default Frustration

So today I had to go to the info session for weight loss surgery. Now to me, this is a very personal and thought through decision. Most of us do not take this lightly and do a lot of research before hand. I was extremely frustrated some people in this session were laughing and mocking what was said. One was a young girl and her mother. Both of them wanted to get it done. The speaker was telling everyone if you smoke, you are required to quit. The young girl laughed and said "yeah right", then the mom laughed as well. Then after about 15 minutes into the session this same girl picks up her backpack and sets it on the table and puts her head on it to sleep. Seriously!? She wasn't even paying attention. Then another lady said this was her 7th session she'd been to because each time, circumstances happened that prevented her from getting the surgery and she was laughing and joking. Not many found it funny. I guess I was just surprised to see how lightly some people take this and it makes me upset because there are people out there that seriously need this surgery but don't have the insurance to cover it. Then these se two fruit loops basically make a joke of it. Sorry if it sounds harsh, their behavior was just obnoxious so I needed to vent a little.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Frustration

They will be the ones who gain the weight back. They brush it off and think it is a joke but they will be the ones without the tools to be successful. People can, and do, gain back all the weight post op because they choose not to follow the post op rules. I get it, I would be annoyed too. Luckily all my appointments were one on one with the exception of a group nut appointment I went to. I am glad that I did not have to deal with anyone like that. The people in my group nut class were all serious about their journeys.

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Jenn
    Surgery date
    11/08/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Adair
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times

I agree. For me, I'm fully aware this is a lifestyle change and I take that seriously. Thankfully we are only required to do one info session. Now my next appt is May 1st to meet with my surgeon and get all my preop testing done. I also have to go to 6 nutrition sessions. 3 before surgery and 3 after. This is all required by the insurance company. A little piece of information my surgical planner told me was that those she sees put the weight back on are those that don't attend the follow up appointments post op. When you are held accountable, your results are usually better. :-)

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't know, I'm a joker and laugh inappropriately at things I have no business laughing at. It doest mean I don't take it seriously, just that I laugh about everything, no matter the situation. I would be the obnoxious one in your group. It's not intentional, it's the only way I know to cope with life. I do understand that it is off putting to many, but try to understand that different people have different ways of handling things. I never had to attend any types of meetings for my surgery, but have no doubt that I joked about my surgeon (call him Dr. What the Hell) , I joked as I came out of anesthesia (oh no, I thought this was supposed to make me skinny. The surgery failed.) Everything is a joke to me. I've been 100% plus successful with it.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

9. Said thanks:

Name
    Jenn
    Surgery date
    11/08/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Adair
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times

I am totally fine with people joking...I guess what just turned me the wrong way was the girl laying her head down on the backpack and going to sleep. She was young also so I don't think she was taking it to seriously. It's an insurance requirement here in Michigan to attend an info session. I didn't mind though because I was able to take away a lot of information although I forgot my folder they gave us. Jeesh! Luckily I work for our local hospital so I can get another one...lol

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents