10/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Belzberg
    Last Activity
    12-31-2017 08:09 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Anyone in Orange County,CA? I'm at the very beginning stage of this process

I've just begun this process. I met with my Dr. last week and told him I've struggled enough and asked about Bariatric surgery? A little about my issue. . . I'm with Kaiser (Orange County, CA), in my 50's, and have severe arthritis in both knees which make walking difficult. I really need a double full knee replacement but Kaiser won't approve it because I'm overweight. I'm currently 245 lbs. and 5'7". I could not lose the weight that was needed after years of trying. The kicker is I'm not officially heavy enough to have this surgery, for Kaiser, who has a minimum 40 bmi. So I was forever stuck in the middle.

I saw the Dr. on Thursday who stated he would put in a referral for me and hoped it would get through because of my severely arthritic knees. Well, Yay, I got a phone call yesterday from Kaiser stating I was approved for the surgery and they will be sending me a packet with instructions.

So I have a bag of mixed emotions - excited, anxious, elated and scared! I'm so tired of my body hurting.

I'm starting at square one and have already begun reading tons. I know nothing about the physicians who do this surgery here in Orange County and don't know if I'll have a choice of physician or I just take whoever they assign me too.

I look forward to meeting all of you and for continued inspiration and learning from all your posts!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone in Orange County,CA? I'm at the very beginning stage of this process

Congrats. Read over the packet thoroughly to ensure you follow all that your insurance requires. Read as much as you can here about individual journeys as they are all different. And I recommend reading as much as you can here about the sleeve -------> http://www.obesitycoverage.com/gastr...erence-manual/ Good luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member ShelbyMoore's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Belzberg
    Last Activity
    12-31-2017 08:09 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Anyone in Orange County,CA? I'm at the very beginning stage of this process

Thank you! I will definitely follow all instructions carefully! I appreciate the link to the manual. I'm sure it'll be very helpful.

Gastric Sleeve Member bigdogluver's Avatar
    Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    03/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alex Gandsas
    Last Activity
    12-24-2018 07:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 241 Times
    Was Thanked 253 Times in 180 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 99 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum. I'm so glad that Kaiser agreed to do your operation. I just had my operation about 3.5 weeks ago and I'm so glad that I did - for health and mental reasons. Read as much as you can and try to build up your stamina by swimming or exercise, etc. It will help your recovery. All the best!

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm currently 245 lbs. and 5'7"
    Hi Shelby, I started at the same weight, and I was 5'7" at some point in my younger days lol! I'm just over 5'6" now. My BMI was under 40, but I had been recently diagnosed with Type2 Diabetes, after years of being pre-diabetic. After the initial visit, the endoscopy and sleep apnea test my surgeon said I was a good candidate for the Sleeve Gastrectomy. I was fortunate not to have hypertension, but my cholesterol was out of control! Controlling my recently diagnosed diabetes and normalizing my cholesterol were two factors I wanted to have this surgery. At my three month post op check-up I had managed to reverse both!

Kaiser, I believe, has the same requirements of two comorbidities for patients in the 35-40 BMI range.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)