Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    04-15-2017 07:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Seeking Overviews - Was it the right decision for you?

Hi -

I'm in Australia, and we don't have an online forum on sleeve issues here in this country, as far as I can see.

I am a fair bit overweight and have the option of a sleeve, or a gastric band. In about a month I'm seeing the surgeon again and that's the point at which I should really decide to go ahead or not.

What I'd like to ask anyone who has the time to answer is a fairly simple question: do you think your decision to have gastric sleeve surgery was the right one for you? In just a few lines, why or why not?

I'd be particularly interested to hear from people who had the surgery a fair bit of time ago; I'd really like to gauge how this works over time and what the results are, not just immediately or short-term, but medium to long term.

Many thanks,

Ean

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Default Re: Seeking Overviews - Was it the right decision for you?

Hi Ean, Has you get to know people you will find people who live all over the world. So cool how a computer can bring people together who otherwise wouldn't met. Welcome, hopefully you will hear from some of are many longtimers who have had successful Sleeve Surgery and are keeping the weight off. So many too have completely changed there lifestyle. So cool what this surgery can do as long has you work hard.
    I had surgery 1-24-17 lost 58 since surgery and 85lbs since pre op diet. I love my sleeve, haven't been this happy in a long time. Can't imagine going back to my old ways. I attend support group and joined hiking clubs and cycle group so I can stay active even when I'm not working out. I'd have the sleeve surgery again in a heartbeat. Good luck and if you have anymore questions I'm happy to answer if i can
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

Name
    hmmmmm I wonder
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Romanelli
    Last Activity
    01-09-2018 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 370 Times in 237 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 96 Times
    Blog Entries

Hello and Welcome. MY Doctor no longer even offers to do lap band surgeries as there have been to many complications from them. He is strictly doing bypass or sleeve. I choose to have the Sleeve done and i am so happy I did. Since my surgery day I've lost 65 pounds and since my initial weigh in with my surgeon I'm down 95 pounds. Could I have lost weight without the surgery yes, could I have lost as much weight without surgery possibly, but my problem is I have always slid back. Sure it's possible to slide back again but I am far more motivated now that I have had the surgery knowing I took such a big step I feel keeps me on track and focused.

Starting weight 328
    pre-op weight- 298
    1 month out- 262
    2 month out- 244
    3 month out- 227
    4 month out- 215
    5 month out- 203
    6 month out- 195
    7 month out- 194 in 1 month stall
    8 month out- 192
    9 month out-190
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

6. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I'm three years out, lost all my weight, and have kept it off with the sleeve. I would not recommend the band, that seems to have had so many problems for people long term. Best decision I have ever made - I got my life back!

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

The sleeve is the way to go. The lap band is starting to be considered an obsolete surgery here in the US. With the band you have frequent appointments with the doctor to fill and empty the band for adjustments. There are so many issues with bands slipping and no weight loss with the band. Also, there are a lot of people on this forum that have to get sleeved after having failed with the band.
    For the sleeve, it has minimal complications. The success rate is pretty high. There are few issues with absorption problems and no issues with dumping. (As there are with a bypass.) You get great info the sleeve on this site....------> http://www.obesitycoverage.com/gastr...erence-manual/

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Forrester
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts

If it helps any, my dr's office no longer offers the band. It seems like many band patients end up getting revised to sleeve.

Surgery Day Weight 1/11: 300
    Month 1: -34 pounds, -25 inches

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    04-15-2017 07:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi - To all of you who have replied, thanks very, very much. Your stories are good news, and it is extremely valuable intelligence that bands are on the way out in the US. Interestingly, the surgeon who will do me does both procedures, but seems less keen on the band for all the reasons you list, and advises that the sleeve is the way to go. Cheers, Ean

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member bigdogluver's Avatar
    Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    03/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alex Gandsas
    Last Activity
    12-24-2018 07:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 241 Times
    Was Thanked 253 Times in 180 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 99 Times
    Blog Entries

Ean, I just had the sleeve and I'm already glad that I did. I'm a type 2 diabetic and I'm already off of most of my meds for it! My life just got a lot sweeter from that alone!

My sister had the band and though she lost weight, but she quickly gained it all back. After she lost her weight, they untightened the band and it was very easy for her to over eat. She has a food addiction (like me), so it really didn't help her long term. of course, her lack of dealing with her addiction played a major part of her re-gain, but the band wasn't a very useful tool after they loosened it.

Before it was loosened, she constantly threw up if she over ate - just 1 bite of food sent her running to the restroom. And, she was in and out of the emergency room many times because she said she was always afraid that she maybe tore her stomach.

My doctor no longer offers it because the results are spotty and long term results aren't as successful as the sleeve or bypass. Plus, patients can develop sores/ulcers around the ring area.

I chose the sleeve because there are less complications with it than the bypass. One issue for me about the bypass - many people who do the bypass end up with major vitamin deficiencies. It could happen with the sleeve, but not nearly as much as the bypass.

Good luck with your decision and welcome to the forum!

17. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/27/2016
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 124 Times in 84 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 241 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ean View Post
    I'm in Australia, and we don't have an online forum on sleeve issues here in this country, as far as I can see.
    Crikey mate, a sleeve is a sleeve and we're very happy to have you join us!

I would recommend the sleeve over the band, for what it's worth. There can be some issues with the band, slipping for example, and it requires maintenance.

The sleeve is permanent and largely does not require adjustments. There are some, but very few that require it. I would do free commercials for the sleeve and am thrilled with my results so far. I have zero regrets and would recommend the procedure to anyone seriously overweight provided they had the understanding that it will not work unless you are also prepared and dedicated to a lifestyle change.
    Bagawk!

19. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm almost 3 1/2 years out, lost over 100% of my excess weight and have kept it off. I have normal blood pressure, am more active, have no more back, knee and ankle pain, and feel downright awesome walking into any room, knowing I look fabulous. This absolutely was the best decision I've made for myself.

But since you want us to keep it short, I will tell you the number one thing you can do to ensure your own success is to seek out professional mental health support. No WLS can work long term without making the necessary psychological changes. You need to figure out how and why you became overweight in the first pkace, address those issues, and create new healthy coping mechanisms for the crap life is still going to throw at you.

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Blair Bowden
    Last Activity
    09-03-2017 05:51 AM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

Hi Ean,

Where are you from? I live in Mount Isa and am traveling to Brisbane for the sleeve in September!!

Surgery date
    05/23/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brent Bell
    Last Activity
    05-24-2017 11:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times

I'm four years out and the only complaint I have is that I wish I had done the sleeve sooner. Please don't do the lap band. With the sleeve, you just learn to make small adjustments to your life to make it work. It's not that hard or difficult. It's so worth it.
    It's never too late to be who you might have been. ~ George Eliot