Dr. Peter Sarantos
    Last Activity
    04-19-2017 06:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Question Major Stall Post Surgery

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and hoping I can find some encouragement and advice here. I had my surgery January 12 and was on the downward weight trend for the first month. I started to stall out month 2 and have really stalled into month 3. I've only lost a few pounds the last month and have had fluctuations even going up a few pounds before I drop them again. I'm eating what I'm supposed to be eating, started working out with a trainer 2x's a week. I plan to increase my exercise a couple more times a week. I can't figure out why I'm stalling. Has anyone had this happen to them right after surgery? Other people I know that have had the sleeve lost consistently the first 6+ months post surgery. I'm struggling with feeling like a failure and feeling really discouraged. My doctor can't explain the stall and offers not much in terms of support. Any suggestions welcome.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Major Stall Post Surgery

For me personally, when my weight stalls I need to up my water, protein, and calories. I also do better on low carb. I know not everyone follows low carb post op. Can you give us an example of what a typical day of meals looks like for you? Do you track any of your macros? I know you said you work out with a trainer 2X a week but do you do any walking or anything else on the other days? Are you taking measurements? The more info you can provide the better we can offer suggestions.

5. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    03/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jan
    Last Activity
    04-17-2022 01:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts

Oh man I feel your pain. I'm about 5 weeks out from surgery and lost a lot -- 20 lbs after the first 2 weeks. Crazy. But since then I've only lost about 5lbs in the past 3 weeks. And I too have been diligent w/ my food. It's just a bummer when you are doing things as prescribed & not getting great results. As I've heard you need to change things up for a few days (harder workout) and then the stall will break. I hope so for both our sake. Just know you are not alone. Jill

Gastric Sleeve Member Jessleigh's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/12/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Peter Sarantos
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times

Thanks for responding. I definitely feel like I've always been carb sensitive and wondered if I should go low car post surgery.
    Typical days meals are:
    Breakfast: scrambled eggs and piece of whole wheat toast
    Lunch: usually leftovers, but consists of protein and vegetables
    Afternoon Snack (depending on hunger): carrots and hummus or acai bowl or protein shake
    Dinner: Protein and veggies (recently made: buffalo chicken with spaghetti squash, enchiladas, grilled chicken)
    We like to cook, so there's a lot of variety in our meals. I don't eat a lot of potatoes or starchy vegetables. We mainly eat asparagus, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts at dinner.

I don't discriminate with my protein. My nutritionist says I should only eat super lean cuts of meat. We do eat a decent amount of chicken and salmon, but I'll also eat beef filet or some sort of red meat 1-2xs a week. I was tracking my food on MyFitnessPal and getting around 1,000-1,200 calories per day. Reason others posts, maybe that's too high? It's such a drastic change from where I was presurgery and I eat until I feel full, so I figured the calorie intake was okay. My doctor wasn't bothered by the calories I was consuming, but I'm wondering if that's an issue?

I also need to improve my water intake. It's a challenge for me at work to get the water in. Do you feel like water has a huge impact on your weight loss?

As for exercise, we do walk our dogs most nights for about 30 minutes. Other than that and my trainer, I'm not doing much else. I know I need to amp this up though.

8. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/12/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Peter Sarantos
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times

Thanks Jill I hate that you're in this stall period too, but am also happy it's not just me. Hang in there! I keep telling myself that if I'm doing what they're telling me to do, then eventually it's got to pay off. It's so hard to stay encouraged when you can't explain why you're struggling. You got this though. We both do

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    12-21-2018 09:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 774 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 169 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,104 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Jessleigh View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and hoping I can find some encouragement and advice here. I had my surgery January 12 and was on the downward weight trend for the first month. I started to stall out month 2 and have really stalled into month 3. I've only lost a few pounds the last month and have had fluctuations even going up a few pounds before I drop them again. I'm eating what I'm supposed to be eating, started working out with a trainer 2x's a week. I plan to increase my exercise a couple more times a week. I can't figure out why I'm stalling. Has anyone had this happen to them right after surgery? Other people I know that have had the sleeve lost consistently the first 6+ months post surgery. I'm struggling with feeling like a failure and feeling really discouraged. My doctor can't explain the stall and offers not much in terms of support. Any suggestions welcome.
    I had my surgery on 1-3-17 and I just had a big stall too. It lasted about a month, but now I've lost about 4 more pounds. Hang in there, stalls are your body taking a pause and readjusting after weight loss and they are normal. You'll start losing again soon!

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member americangrrl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/10/2016
    Surgeon
    Hernandez
    Last Activity
    10-18-2017 07:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 132 Times in 91 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

stalls are normal...get used to them... i thought I would have dropped a lot more weight by now than I have also... unfortunately it is part of the way ur body works and protects u to prevent u from losing too much, too fast....... do not get discouraged..generally, the more u have to lose, the faster it does come off... but everyone is different.. there are ppl who had their surgery after me, but have lost more than I have.....I have always been a slow loser and had to work very hard to get any results..keep in mind.. this is only a tool to help u lose.. it is not a magic wand to make u instantly drop... just do what u are supposed to and keep it up... u will lose more..

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Merry Mary's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    09/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 217 Times in 151 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Jessleigh View Post

I also need to improve my water intake. It's a challenge for me at work to get the water in. Do you feel like water has a huge impact on your weight loss?
    Water is extremely important for weight loss. You should be drinking at least 64 oz of water. I've heard multiple times to drink half your body weight in ounces of water. At minimum, I'd try for 100 ounces.

You don't mention supplements (vitamins), deficiencies in any of those can also slow your weight loss.
    HW - 394
    SW - 366
    One year post op - 191
    Goal - 177 met 16 months post op
    Current - 174

220 lost since June 19, 2014

17. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/12/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Peter Sarantos
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times

I definitely need to be better about my vitamins. I haven't been very consistent with those. I hate to sound like a kid, but the chewable vitamins are just awful and make me gag. I need to go purchase tablets/pills I can swallow. I will do that this week, because I agree that could have an impact and I should be doing it consistently.

Name
    hmmmmm I wonder
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Romanelli
    Last Activity
    01-09-2018 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 370 Times in 237 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 96 Times
    Blog Entries

Water intake is a huge issue and with your diet I would suspect is the #1 reason your not losing/ stalled. I had surgery 1/24/17 I have not had a week where I lost less then 3 pounds. I eat similar calories as you do I however rarely eat any red meat but never really have maybe have it 2 to 3 times a month. I am at the gym 7 days a week for 2 hours a day and my water intake is usually around 110 ounces. I am disabled so outside of my gym time I am very sedentary. I would really suggest that you drink at least 80 ounces a day and see how that helps you. Now for the good news, you are doing the right thing in seeking answers from other sleevers I find so many people on here with excellent ideas and suggestions. Keep your chin up drink that water and I'm betting you start dropping more soon.

Starting weight 328
    pre-op weight- 298
    1 month out- 262
    2 month out- 244
    3 month out- 227
    4 month out- 215
    5 month out- 203
    6 month out- 195
    7 month out- 194 in 1 month stall
    8 month out- 192
    9 month out-190
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

20. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

So...in looking at your normal intake, I would say that you are sorely lacking in a few areas. In order to bust a stall, you need to know what causes them. I have, literally, hundreds and hundreds of posts on my profile page dealing with this very subject. I discovered a way to bust stalls when they happen, and more importantly, I learned how to avoid them all together.

In a nutshell, you need to pay attention to what I like to call the "Four Pillars". The four pillars are Nutrition, Hydration, Exercise, Supplements. If you ignore just one of them, you'll stall, stall often, and stay stalled for months on end. My plan is just that. My plan. I'm not saying it's the end all, be all, for everyone. However, many on here have tried it and have become great big old losers in the process. One thing is for certain. There is no "one size fits all" for post op life. You'll need to develop a plan that works for you and you alone. The only way to do that is to experiment until you hit on the right one.

I'll be glad to help if you want to pm me. Here's the first tip I'll give you. Take a liquid vitamin. I take a big old bad ass multivitamin called Sea Essentials. 50.00 at GNC and 25.00 on Amazon. It has over 100 vitamins and minerals in it and doesn't taste too terribly bad. Go read the reviews on Amazon. Overwhelmingly positive. I also take a bucket full of supplements in addition to the liquid vitamin. I take the supplements so that I do not have to waste valuable sleeve space for veggies and such.

I've been at my goal weight for almost four years now. I lost 265 lbs using my methods and many on here have lost similar body fat percentages utilizing my strategies. As I said, pm me if you want some advice on how to tailor your food plan to bust and avoid stalls.

Peace

22. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm only 13 days out and no weight is coming off. Lost 13# immediately after surgery (probably IV fluids) and nothing since. BUT...My clothes are hanging off me, my tape measure is measuring much less of me, which is nice. But I'd LOVE to see my scale numbers go down.

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

24. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Forrester
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts

I had surgery 1/11 and just had my first long stall. I think it was 2 things. Not enough protein and not takng my vitamins. The last few days I've increased protein and the scale dropped. You don't list a protein bar or a shake in your food intake. I think replacing a meal or snack with that will make a huge difference.

Surgery Day Weight 1/11: 300
    Month 1: -34 pounds, -25 inches

26. Said thanks:

Name
    Elle
    Surgery date
    11/02/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Um
    Last Activity
    01-19-2018 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 126 Times
    Was Thanked 96 Times in 75 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 94 Times
    Blog Entries

I stall constantly and I'm 5 months out. It's a combination of things. My Dr. told me I'm only allowed to eat 800-1000 calories. I have to remind myself to make sure I eat/drink my 90-100 grams of protein daily, get in my fluids, and vitamins. I get so busy with work that sometimes I forget to do certain things. Keeping a food log has really helped me as well as making sure I have go to meals. I still stall but the inches are coming off.

HW :326 BMI 50.3
    PW :288 BMI 44.4
    SW:272 BMI 42.0
    9/2/17 198
    9/25/17 194

28. Said thanks: