Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Not covered in my insurance policy.

It surely can't hurt to ask like Tommy did. If not, go to Mexico. With insurance I paid 2100 ish and had to meet my 1500 deductible as well. Luckily I had the 1500 on my medical spending. So that 3600 that I paid through insurance is more or less what you would pay in Mexico. Just a thought.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Patti
    Surgeon
    Dr. Cahalen
    Last Activity
    05-10-2017 06:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thank you all for the comments I just personally do not feel comfortable getting the procedure done outside the US. Looks like I have to go back to square 1 and figure things out.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Rohan Joseph
    Last Activity
    11-12-2017 01:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I don't think any of the Obamacare policies cover it but they cover my 64 year old wife for pregnancy. Go figure. But I am on medicare and as a previous poster mentioned, with some hoop jumping, I will be covered if I get the nerve to follow through.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

My plan had had a strict "no bariatric" policy. No excuse, they just wouldn't cover it. I paid $14,000 (for pre-visits, surgery, and post-visits up to 3 months) near my home and was blessed to have no complications, because my insurance would not have covered any complications from bariatric surgery either. You have to believe I followed every rule! I attend their support groups every month.

A lot of people go to Mexico because it's so much cheaper. I could never have done that, but people here sound really happy with their experiences. Staying in a hotel instead of a hospital, having people knock on your door to sell you pain meds, sort of freaked me out. Or having long flight(s) home after major surgery. (I had a 5 minute car ride with a pillow on my tummy.) But like I said, people have done it with no problems, so don't yell at me!

Surgery date
    05/23/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brent Bell
    Last Activity
    05-24-2017 11:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Trish311 View Post
    Thank you all for the comments I just personally do not feel comfortable getting the procedure done outside the US. Looks like I have to go back to square 1 and figure things out.

I paid $13K out of pocket for my surgery with the help of family. For anybody trying to figure out how they would pay off a loan on the surgery, I always tell them to add up how much they are actually buying in food each month. Be brutal and realistic. You don't understand how money you spend versus what you don't anymore after the surgery. Four years out I'm probably only spending about $20 a week in eating the right foods at the right amount versus $75-100 pre-surgery. I waste more food now as it goes bad before I can eat it so I try to freeze leftovers and buy smaller portion when I can. A $15 meal eaten out with friends at a restuarant will last me 2-3 meals beyond that night if I order the right food or add a cheap salad to it when I reheat the entree. If I'm being bad, I grab the double cheeseburger ($1.60) at McDonalds and eat it without the bun (just ask them to put it on lettuce) and I'm stuffed with just that. No need to ever order another combo meal or big meal eating out (and pay $$$) as you won't be able to finish it. The money difference is real and something that would have made it affordable for me to pay on a loan each month if I had only known.
    It's never too late to be who you might have been. ~ George Eliot

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Smile Re: Not covered in my insurance policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trish311 View Post
    I went to Mexico and had Outstanding medical care and had better care than Some people who had this done in the USA. I spent one night in the hospital and since I was stable went to a beautiful hotel were I still received I.v meds and fluids for 3 additional nights, dressing changes, etc. all done by RN's who love there job and also saw a MD everyday. By the time I went home I didn't have any pain just tenderness, I was walking all around past 4 nights and had no trouble walking around airport and moving around airplane, travelled first class and had tons of room to move legs. I would do this again in a heartbeat!!! I was nervous but did my research. There are some amazing doctors, medical professionals and great hospitals in Mexico. There are bad doctors just like there is in the States!!!! Do your research people!! Don't let fear rule your life. Check out Dr Alvarez on" Ask Dr Alvarez show" is is another outstanding Dr and follows you the whole time and gives you is cell number and you stay in a beautiful hospital the entire time. He would be a great one for very nervous people. Good luck in whatever you decide don't give up. Having the sleeve Best decision I ever made and saved my life. No diabetes or high B/P after 1 month. More energy and off four meds. Only regret is I waited so long.
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

Gastric Sleeve Member Aiken Yankee's Avatar
    Name
    Bob
    Surgery date
    07/07/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sean Lee
    Last Activity
    04-23-2017 01:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

With a BMI of 47, I would think you can make a good case. Ask your doctor about this, as most of them have become experts at how to get insurance company approval! Go for it. You have nothing to lose - except the opportunity to become a new YOU!