Surgery date
    05/14/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr Fawole
    Said "Thanks" 62 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Seeing consultant tomorrow, worried about questions he will ask?

Hi, I am seeing the nhs consultant tomorrow after a very long road to get here. I was on a weightloss program for 6 months which failed so they sent me to the more intense one in preparation for the sleeve. I have managed to lose the 5% they require but I am also worried that by losing it, I will no longer qualify!

I am just scared I will stuff it up somehow by answering his questions with the wrong answers!

I really need this surgery, am extremely overweight and unable to lose it any other way. Can anyone advise if they have gone through the same thing and what actually happens in the interview?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/14/2016
    Surgeon
    Mr Wan
    Last Activity
    05-24-2018 01:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 339 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Seeing consultant tomorrow, worried about questions he will ask?

Hi honey, I am in the U.K. As well, you are fine, please don't worry, I was the same this time last year, dietician Tod me that it's a £15,000 process, only half is the actual surgery, so they are not going to wast £7000 to then say no, only on serious medical grounds would they cancel, wishing you loads of luck

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/14/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr Fawole
    Said "Thanks" 62 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks, I am just unsure as the lady I saw a couple of weeks ago, told me if I put any weight on or go over the 5% I have already lost, the consultant can still say no.
    I just don't want to muck it up after coming this far!

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Just make sure that they know that you are committed to following the required lifestyle post op to be successful and that you know that this surgery is your chance to get healthy! I was in the same boat for insurance approval here in the US. I could not gain any weight and could not get under 197 before surgery because at 4'11" that would put me under 40 BMI and would mean I no longer qualified. My surgeon made sure that I got approved. Good luck.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/14/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr Fawole
    Said "Thanks" 62 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks Christie,
    I went for my appointment and they were lovely. they were impressed that i had lost another kilo since my last appointment and said they would now pass me to the surgical team for them to decide which surgery to offer me. Fingers crossed they will be in touch soon!

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    molly
    Surgery date
    04/25/2017
    Surgeon
    Rao
    Last Activity
    12-09-2018 04:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times

Hie, glad your appointment went wel can I forewarn you that if your surgical team are anything like mine they will be weighing you at each appointment till the op day and the key is to not gain weight up north here they cancel your op on the op day if you gain weight

Pre op weight 114kg
    6 weeks post op 102kg
    12 weeks post op 95kg
    17 weeks post op 91kg
    20 weeks post op 89kg
    6 months post op 86kg
    8months post op 81kg

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/14/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr Fawole
    Said "Thanks" 62 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Molly,
    thats good to know as I have put about 4lbs on since they last weighed me at that appointment.

I have also had my bariatric seminar, the nurse and dietician were lovely but the psychologist was awful!

She was very unfriendly and seemed like she wants us to be denied the surgery. I feel bad because I filled in a green form before I went in and only afterwards did I realise that she will be using it in the psychology report.

Did you have to go through a psychologists appointment and if so, how did it go?