Dr. Naimi
    Last Activity
    04-22-2017 11:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Question Hello - Waiting for Insurance Approval - Advice Needed Please

Hello!

I'm currently waiting for insurance approval. I have type 2 diabetes with nasty hearing, vision, swelling side effects.

Dr has recommended the sleeve but I wonder if a bypass or a duadunal switch might be better to have the best chance of remission of the diabetes symptoms.

Can anyone tell me if they have had these symptoms and what worked or didn't work for them please?

I am in OC and my Dr. Is Dr. Naimi.

Thanks for your time.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Default Re: Hello - Waiting for Insurance Approval - Advice Needed Please

Good Afternoon, I had Diabetes type 2 before my surgery and took 2,000mg of metformin a day. My diabetes was gone in 1-2 Weeks. I still check my blood sugar two-three times a day. Still doing well off my meds. I've lost 51lbs since surgery and 74lbs since pre-op diet. I had the sleeve 1-24-17. I can't tell you which surgery do to but I can share my experience. Also there are a lot of people on here that have lossed on their weight and gotten ride of diabetes, high b/p,reduced or eliminated pain and more. This surgery has been the best thing I've ever done for myself. I haven't felt this good in a long time. I haven't had any side effects since surgery nor will I have to worry about mal nutrition or mal absorption problems either. My stomach works the same just 85% smaller. I really like noing I don't have to worry about potential problems just focus on positive things and keep enjoying exercising, continue with my new healthy clean eating. I'm happy to answer any questions. I would ask your doctor how much of the stomach he removes? you want someone who does at least 80% preferably 85%. The Gastric sleeve is replacing the bi-pass in other countries and if done right just as effective. Good luck with your journey
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Naimi
    Last Activity
    04-22-2017 11:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I will ask my surgeon to make sure he plans to remove at least 85 %. My husband and I both hope that the sleeve will be enough to help put the diabetes in remission. I'm encouraged to hear that you are doing so well but I'm scared about how many changes I am going to have to learn to live with. Since you had your surgery have you had vomiting or upset stomach? That is what has me wondering if I'm going from bad to worse. My Dr. said I have a hernia now as well that he will fix during surgery. That may mean more healing time. How long did it take to get to feeling better after surgery? Are you tired still?

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Good luck with your decision. I am sure if your doctor recommended it then he knows what he's talking about.

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

This as been the best decision I've ever made. My energy level is better now than before, I have MS and took a med everyday for fatigue and since surgery I D/C my fatigue med. I was doing good by the second week,The pain was nothing like I thought it would be. I was walking when I fully woke up from surgery and that really helped reduce the pain which mainly caused by the gas they put in your stomach, walking helps get it out. Hernia repair with the sleeve surgery you'll find on this site very common. It took an extra week to switch from cream soup to puree soft food. I had vomiting when I woke up from surgery and the nurses stopped it within an hour. I've had nausea a couple times. I think you'll find your life will get a lot easier and a lot less work after surgery when you loose weight and no longer overweight. I eat a high protein mainly low carb, low sugar diet. I still eat good tasting food just way smaller portions and have 1-2 healthy snacks. 1 protein shake a day. I don't eat junk food, processed food, high cal, stay away from sugar. It really has been easy. I love exercising now and work out everyday. If your ready to make diet changes and exercise at least walk you'll see your life improve in ways you couldn't have imagined. I found inspiration during this process reading people's testimonials and looking at people's before and after pics. Hope I answered all your questions or if you have anymore come up I'm happy to answer. I think most if not all feel nervous or scared to have this surgery. Good Luck with your journey
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents