Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Has anyone cheated on the 2-week liquid pre-op diet?

My pre-op diet was only two weeks because I did my own right before for a few weeks. I was really careful to follow my surgeon's instructions since like many obese (actually the majority) I had a really big fatty liver, but I had that issue even when not obese so being obese it's much worth. If I had not done my own diet my doc pre-op could have been 4 weeks or more.
    Since my liver was in such bad shape I knew that the lifting made during the surgery could damage it badly without the proper diet. Thinking about that did help a lot and I never even think about cheating.
    You could try to add unflavored protein to your broth. Try samples and don't stock up because your taste could change post-op, it did for me. I used mainly Sun Warrior (not the organic one, the taste is weird) before surgery but after I couldn't stand it. It took me 8 month to tolerate it again.
    My pre-op was two shakes per day and one dinner of lean protein and non startchy veggies. The night before the surgery my surgeon allowed me to have "what I wanted for dinner". I didn't go crazy and had grilled chicken. I had an realy dinner around 6 PM then was fasting completely from midnight. Surgery was around 9 AM. Good luck to you!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michael Seger
    Last Activity
    05-06-2017 02:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 30 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I begin my two week pre-op diet tomorrow. My surgery is scheduled for the 10th of April. My diet seems great compared to some. I get two protein shakes (I'll be doing Premier Choc) a day and one meal consisting of 4-5 oz of lean protein and 2-3 cups of vegetables. I can eat the meal for breakfast, lunch or dinner, even having it for dinner one night and breakfast the next day. Just so long as I have two shakes daily. The last day (day before surgery) is three shakes and no meal.

Good Luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member Tommy1969's Avatar
    Name
    Tom
    Surgery date
    02/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tieu
    Last Activity
    06-07-2019 06:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 179 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    LOLOLOLOL...said the five week vet to the five year vet......

Ok folks....step away from the ledge....lol

The preop diet is STRICTLY for shrinking your liver so that the part of your stomach that is covered by your liver is more easily accessible. Period.

I made it all the way to San Diego on my diet. Five day liquid. Once I got to San Diego, I broke down and got some chicken breast at the Chilis in the San Diego airport. This was the day before surgery. I did just fine and so will you. There are many, many surgeons that don't ask for any preop diet.

Again, this diet is strictly for the convenience of the surgeon and has absolutely zero bearing on the success of the surgery. I'm not advocating you cheat, but, I did and if you do, it definitely will not be the end of the world......

I copied and pasted my post and I am looking for where I gave the OP any advice. I even went so far as to say that I did not advocate the OP cheating, but, if they did, it would not be the end of the world...and it wouldn't.

What I offered was fact, not advice. The pre op diet is exactly how I described it. It is so the liver shrinks and the stomach is more accessible during the procedure. It's definitely not some last hurdle or test you must pass to prove your worthiness in getting the sleeve. Some people just plain can't go that long without eating solid food. Maybe you did, but I didn't and a whole lot of others didn't either. That's a fact too. I was just letting the OP know that it would not be the end of the world if they ate a little solid food.....if they elected to do so.

So, feel free to chime in and take exception to my advice....when I actually give some. I'm a big boy and have been waging war over my opinions with the newbies for the last five years.
    Not really sure what 5 years has to do with 5 weeks regarding advice for the pre op diet. Per your profile you have done a hell of a job, I will have the same success. I just think that people who are making this decision should follow what their doctor tells them and not to be swayed in a direction that MAY cause them a complication during surgery. Ripped liver as an example and then have to abort the procedure. Not to mention the mental aspect of following RULES to give themselves the best shot at success. Good day to you sir.

Original Weight - 479
    Day of Surgery - 459
    Month 1 - 438
    Month 2 - 418
    Month 3 - 409
    Month 6 - 389

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Doodle_mom's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Sherman Yu
    Last Activity
    07-31-2018 09:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 56 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 44 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

Thanks Sandra. I am on day 4 of the liquid pre-op. It seems to be getting a little easier. As long as I choke down 2 shakes at 30 grams of protein each, I think I'm ok. The broths are saving me. I have cheated, but only that I am adding pepper and a little salt to the low sodium broths, otherwise I gag when drinking them.

Thanks for responding and congratulations on your success!

Gastric Sleeve Member Doodle_mom's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Sherman Yu
    Last Activity
    07-31-2018 09:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 56 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 44 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

Quote Originally Posted by ktal68 View Post
    I begin my two week pre-op diet tomorrow. My surgery is scheduled for the 10th of April. My diet seems great compared to some. I get two protein shakes (I'll be doing Premier Choc) a day and one meal consisting of 4-5 oz of lean protein and 2-3 cups of vegetables. I can eat the meal for breakfast, lunch or dinner, even having it for dinner one night and breakfast the next day. Just so long as I have two shakes daily. The last day (day before surgery) is three shakes and no meal.

Good Luck!
    You will do great on the pre-op diet since you are allowed one small meal!!! I'm not allowed anything but liquid. I think a lot of it depends on your bmi and mine is quite high. Good luck on the 10th. We will be close in dates as mine is scheduled for the 5th.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle_mom View Post
    Unfortunately, my dietician has Premier Protein listed as the meal replacement so I have not added anything to it. I will try the ice.
    My response to those sort of one size fits all suggestions is to ask for alternatives. I personally liked the Premier (chocolate only) and it was not was suggested by my surgeon's dietician. I found it at Costco. Nonetheless, I used them as convenience for travel etc. My personal preference was to make my own from scratch from (organic) fresh everyday ingredients. I also had self imposed my own pre op diet six weeks prior so I understand I had more to play around with since I had lost a significant amount of weight when their 2-week liver cleanse came around.

This process is complicated enough to not be able to make adjustments or explore other choices if they are available to you. Try diluting with milk as Kindle suggested, that will definitely cut sweetness and add protein to your drink.

I had a bite or two of a chicken taco on the firsy day of my 3-day clear liquid preop. I had been out all day and had not prepared. I called my surgeon's office because irregardless that some folks do not have liver reducing or weight loss required preop diets who told me here I would be okay, I wanted to be transparent. They went ahead and delayed my surgery by half a day to make sure my stomach was completely empty.

If you cheat, make sure you are honest with surgery team.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy1969 View Post
    Not really sure what 5 years has to do with 5 weeks regarding advice for the pre op diet. Per your profile you have done a hell of a job, I will have the same success. I just think that people who are making this decision should follow what their doctor tells them and not to be swayed in a direction that MAY cause them a complication during surgery. Ripped liver as an example and then have to abort the procedure. Not to mention the mental aspect of following RULES to give themselves the best shot at success. Good day to you sir.
    Tommy, what Tinman says is true and your opinion is not invalid by him saying that. Some people will do well on a very regimented diet as I am sure you will. Tinman seems to be saying he stuck to the diet as best he could. However, he did have a day where he broke his fast. But because he did well during his pre-op diet and shrunk his liver the surgery went well. Ultimately, that is what the diet is about-shrinking the liver so the surgeon can preform the surgery without breaking their shoulder. Breaking the fast is risking having your surgery cancelled if your liver is still to big to work around. So if you break the fast, eat good protein and not sugar and carb laced food that damage the liver. Don't waste your calories and nutrition on empty awful calories. I stuck pretty close to the doctors plans but I had times were I did not. All he is saying and I have echoed it at other times. Don't worry if you do breakdown and cheat once during the plan. Your body is starving and eating itself and it is very hard to do.

Tinman does what works for him and if you are able to integrate all foods back into your life without abusing them you will lead a satisfied life and be less likely to revert to your old bad habits. if you cannot even be tempted by these foods then don't re-introduce them because it will ultimately lead to your failure. We are all different and we all have foods that are good and bad for us and those are different from every other person.

Don't panic if you cheat, just get back up tomorrow and start over. Its like AA and most of us are food addicts that can not be trusted with full choices. however, if you do eat poorly there is always tomorrow so don't beat yourself up over it. Other people do that to us every other time. Just live your life as you need to so you can be your healthy and satisfied self.

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115

12. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy1969 View Post
    I appreciate what you are saying, but, at five years, I know that the rules are are not rules. They are, at best, loose guidelines. Since we are all different, there shouldn't be a "one size fits all" approach on how to prepare for the sleeve and how to live with it post op. The best example I can give to validate what I just typed is that many surgeons do not advocate the pre op diet and many do. Many surgeons advocate a low carb diet and many don't. Many advocate that you shouldn't eat solid foods for 3-6 months and many advocate that you eat what you can when you can. Many advocate that you shouldn't drink for at least a year and many don't have any restrictions.

My point is this, the quicker each of us learns that we are in charge of our trip, and not a surgeon or NIT....errr.....NUT, the quicker we become independent of their regimented thinking and quit being sheeple. I don't expect any newly sleeved person to buy completely into this thinking right off the bat. I know I didn't. But, over the course of time, I became aware that I was ultimately the one who had to be accountable for my results. Not a surgeon and not a NIT.

I count going to Mexico as the biggest asset I received. I realized very early on that I had no support system post op. My surgeon was 2000 miles away. It was then that I resolved to take charge of my trip and be accountable for the results. That's why I preach:

Make a plan
    Work the plan
    Own the results
    Change as necessary

My point to responding to your posts is to illuminate that there are as many ways of doing this as there are people on God's little green earth. I do not advocate dieting in any form. I sucked at dieting, you sucked at dieting, and everyone on here sucks at dieting. When I discovered that I didn't have to "diet", that opened up the world for me. I just want everyone on here to know that you don't have to suffer for any success post op.

The fact that you mention that there is a mental aspect to following some set of rules that isn't tailored made just for you goes to illustrate my point very nicely. My rants and drivel on here are all pointed to not following the rules verbatim. Find the rules that work for you and use them. Then, make up other rules that serve you well and help you achieve your goals. The one size fits all approach may very well work wonders for you. It doesn't for most though. This board is littered with the carcasses of those who beat their heads against the one size fits all wall and came away bruised and defeated.

Instead of being invested in rules, be invested in taking charge of your very own trip and own the results. You have a life time to find the right combination of the four pillars. Once you find them, you'll lose fast and the weight will stay off.

Peace.

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Tommy1969's Avatar
    Name
    Tom
    Surgery date
    02/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tieu
    Last Activity
    06-07-2019 06:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 179 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    I appreciate what you are saying, but, at five years, I know that the rules are are not rules. They are, at best, loose guidelines. Since we are all different, there shouldn't be a "one size fits all" approach on how to prepare for the sleeve and how to live with it post op. The best example I can give to validate what I just typed is that many surgeons do not advocate the pre op diet and many do. Many surgeons advocate a low carb diet and many don't. Many advocate that you shouldn't eat solid foods for 3-6 months and many advocate that you eat what you can when you can. Many advocate that you shouldn't drink for at least a year and many don't have any restrictions.

My point is this, the quicker each of us learns that we are in charge of our trip, and not a surgeon or NIT....errr.....NUT, the quicker we become independent of their regimented thinking and quit being sheeple. I don't expect any newly sleeved person to buy completely into this thinking right off the bat. I know I didn't. But, over the course of time, I became aware that I was ultimately the one who had to be accountable for my results. Not a surgeon and not a NIT.

I count going to Mexico as the biggest asset I received. I realized very early on that I had no support system post op. My surgeon was 2000 miles away. It was then that I resolved to take charge of my trip and be accountable for the results. That's why I preach:

Make a plan
    Work the plan
    Own the results
    Change as necessary

My point to responding to your posts is to illuminate that there are as many ways of doing this as there are people on God's little green earth. I do not advocate dieting in any form. I sucked at dieting, you sucked at dieting, and everyone on here sucks at dieting. When I discovered that I didn't have to "diet", that opened up the world for me. I just want everyone on here to know that you don't have to suffer for any success post op.

The fact that you mention that there is a mental aspect to following some set of rules that isn't tailored made just for you goes to illustrate my point very nicely. My rants and drivel on here are all pointed to not following the rules verbatim. Find the rules that work for you and use them. Then, make up other rules that serve you well and help you achieve your goals. The one size fits all approach may very well work wonders for you. It doesn't for most though. This board is littered with the carcasses of those who beat their heads against the one size fits all wall and came away bruised and defeated.

Instead of being invested in rules, be invested in taking charge of your very own trip and own the results. You have a life time to find the right combination of the four pillars. Once you find them, you'll lose fast and the weight will stay off.

Peace.
    Very well said Tinman. Peace and best of luck to you. I can't wait until my weight starts with a 2 again!!

Original Weight - 479
    Day of Surgery - 459
    Month 1 - 438
    Month 2 - 418
    Month 3 - 409
    Month 6 - 389

Name
    pat
    Surgery date
    01/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Alberto Michele
    Last Activity
    09-03-2017 03:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 164 Times

Amen!

HW - 251
    Pre op diet - 242
    day of surgery -231
    One month - 212. -39 lbs
    Two months - 202. - 10 lbs. to date total 49

Eight months. 180 Total lost to date. 71 pounds

Name
    pat
    Surgery date
    01/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Alberto Michele
    Last Activity
    09-03-2017 03:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 164 Times

I cheated a few times during my pre-op diet and honestly didn't start when I was suppose to. I did not have any problems

HW - 251
    Pre op diet - 242
    day of surgery -231
    One month - 212. -39 lbs
    Two months - 202. - 10 lbs. to date total 49

Eight months. 180 Total lost to date. 71 pounds

18. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    04/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr, Keith Kreitz
    Last Activity
    11-14-2017 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I just noticed your surgery date. I'm also scheduled to have surgery on April 5th. This is my second time doing the 2 week pre-op liquid diet. I was originally scheduled to have surgery on Valentine's Day, but my white blood cell count was too high (no signs or symptoms of infection or illness though), so after 10 days on the liquid diet, we had to reschedule surgery for March 15th. After several repeat blood tests, and a round of antibiotics for an infection that I don't think I ever had, my white cell count just kept going up, so I had to see a hematologist. Luckily, that day, my WBC was down to 10.1, so once I have my follow-up appointment with the hematologist on Friday, I'll finally be cleared for surgery on April 5th.

I happen to like the vanilla Premier Protein drinks, and I've added some to decaf coffee because I used to add milk and sugar (I've since stopped drinking coffee completely). If you drink decaf and usually lighten and sweeten it, try adding it to coffee (or try adding coffee to the protein drink).

My doctor has allowed me to have a vegetable omlette, so if you can have eggs, a scrambled egg has 6 grams of protein in it.

You can do it! I have faith in you.

Hannah

Highest weight: 276
    Weight at consultation: 271
    Pre-op weight: 242
    Weight 7 days post-op: 228
    1 month: 217
    6 months: 189

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Isaac Motamarry
    Last Activity
    03-29-2017 10:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Are we not allowed to had a chocolate protein shake? I see you said you had to had a premier Protein shake with your 2 week liquid diet

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

There just comes a point some folks just have to self-parent and give them selves permission to be healthy happy lean individuals. Do whatever it takes to make that happen!

Whatever you put into your program, that's what you will get out of it!

Cheat or not, just let the folks who are operating on you know. Specially for if they are expecting an empty tummy and a lean liver and instead find a rack of undigested ribs and a swollen liver the size of Texas. Just saying!
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bellanger
    Last Activity
    07-11-2023 09:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I didn't drink one shake during my pre op period. I do not like sweets and told the nutritionist that I would not be able to get them down. Instead, she told me that I could go on a low fat, low calorie plan. I would have egg whites for breakfast (pan sprayed with cooking spray), a salad with fat free Italian dressing and lots of veggies for lunch, and 3 oz of baked, lean meat with steamed veggies for dinner. It worked for me. I didn't lose a lot of weight prior to surgery, but I never cheated.