Thread: concerns/fears?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    04-18-2017 07:49 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default concerns/fears?

hello everyone! I am new to the group. I am doing my research on the sleeve. my doctor says I should not get it, that I need to learn to eat correctly on my own. I understand that, and the fact that I will have to eat correctly after the surgery. I understand that the sleeve is a tool. I feel like I have to have some help or I will never loose all this weight. after doing some research, I am afraid of the statistics of people who gain the weight back. my question is, how long have you all been sleeved? has anyone gained any of the weight back? I guess I am just second guessing myself. any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreaciated!! also were you scared to go to mexico to get it done? thank you all so much!!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: concerns/fears?

Actually, post-WLS I did learn to eat correctly "on my own."

To learn about what I learned and how my weight loss (and maintenance) have gone, read the two threads referenced at the end of my signature block below.

I don't know you or your situation. But your doctor might be uninformed about the benefits of bariatric surgery and, due to his ignorance, giving you bad counsel.

One other thing -- my own primary care physician advised me very strongly to receive counseling / therapy before and in connection with my WLS. He observed (accurately) that I obviously didn't know how to care for myself. I've been in therapy for nearly 3 years now (once a month). It has been a tremendous help.

Best wishes to you.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Tommy1969's Avatar
    Name
    Tom
    Surgery date
    02/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tieu
    Last Activity
    06-07-2019 06:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 179 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a terrible doctor if that was his only comment. It will be hard for folks to answer you on this unless you provide more information regarding your current weight, BMI, etc...

For example, if you only need to lose 10 pounds then yes, this surgery is not for you.

It is not cosmetic, it is a life change and to your point a TOOL which you use to do it on your own, hence not really understanding your doctor's point of view. My primary doctor was the one who recommended this procedure to me.

I am relatively new with my sleeve, only 5 weeks out but I spent months doing research on the good, the bad and the ugly. There are many videos on You Tube that are also helpful. Just search VSG or WLS and you will find a ton of them.

For me, best decision I ever made. No regrets, a perfect TOOL for me. However, like I said, I am a newbie.

Best of luck to you.

Original Weight - 479
    Day of Surgery - 459
    Month 1 - 438
    Month 2 - 418
    Month 3 - 409
    Month 6 - 389

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Tracey
    Surgery date
    03/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Verboonen
    Last Activity
    05-24-2018 10:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 47 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I actually never even consulted my doctor. It was a decision I made on my own. My brother-in-law had a sleeve done in Mexico two years ago and was so happy with it. I waited two years after he had his to see if he had any regrets and he had none and said he would do it again in a heart beat. I went online and looked into different places in Mexico and booked mine and had it done within two weeks of booking. I was very happy with Mexico. The doctor I chose does some surgeries right in his clinic and some in the hospital. I paid a bit more and had it done in the hospital and have no regrets. The staff were amazing. Most of the staff couldn't speak english or very little of it but they used their phone and google translate when needed. I have zero complaints with the care I was given there. They perform so many of these surgeries there and some I would think have more experience then alot of bariatric doctors in our country as so many people go there because they can't get their insurance to cover it.

Name
    Elle
    Surgery date
    11/02/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Um
    Last Activity
    01-19-2018 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 126 Times
    Was Thanked 96 Times in 75 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 94 Times
    Blog Entries

I went through a program for 3 months prior to surgery. I had to change my eating habits, I joined the gym, kept a food diary and it really helped me decide that I was in fact making the best decision for ME. It wasn't all perfect in the beginning. I did have some issues but I'm telling you everything does pass and does get better. Everyone here is so helpful and I watched a lot of videos on YouTube and did months of research. I personally love the ask Dr. A show.
    Best of luck to you on finding out all the information you need!

HW :326 BMI 50.3
    PW :288 BMI 44.4
    SW:272 BMI 42.0
    9/2/17 198
    9/25/17 194

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times

thank you!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times

thank you so much!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times

thank you!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/28/2010
    Surgeon
    Dr. Roberto Rumbaut
    Last Activity
    01-06-2018 10:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 463 Times in 230 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 248 Times

I had a gastric band in early 2000's. I then took it out and had a sleeve in 2010. From the very beginning I weighed about 210-215. I currently weigh 175. After sleeve surgery I was 140. So I've regained 30-35 pounds but I haven't gotten bigger. Next year, I'm revising to the DS which combines sleeve with a duodenal bypass. It's a surgery where you MUST take supplements, minerals, and probiotics. I suspect I'll go lower than 140 which was my lowest with the sleeve. I've been told by those on the obesity help boards it takes years for regain and the regain comes slowly. Some girls 10 yrs. out will go for a tweek of the bypass where they revise the limb somewhat so that they go back to their after surgery goal weights. Others don't mind the slow weight regain because they say it's minimal, around 10-20 pounds which is probably not too noticeable. I don't regret my sleeve though because it's step one of the DS. If my sleeve needs tweeking the surgeon will let me know at the time of surgery.

14. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Why did the doctor say that? Could it be you don't have that much to lose? If that's the case, I agree with him. If you are obese, I would continue to do your research, including contacting different surgeons.

The sleeve worked great for me, and I haven't gained a pound back. But it would be really easy to regain if I wasn't very careful to follow the plan!

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I went through insurance and was followed by my nutritionist and surgeon for 6 months before approval. I never even consulted my PCP to get approval or his thoughts. I had an appointment and had lost 30 pounds and he was impressed and then I told him I was sleeved. He had nothing but positive things to say. Truthfully if it were that easy to lose weight we'd all be skinny. My sister is over 5 years post op and she has not regained. It is about your commitment to the lifestyle. Most dieters regain all their weight and then some. The amount of sleevers who regain is much lower. And sleevers who weigh themselves regularly and spring into action as soon as they see the weight gain stay slim. It's the ones in denial that allow weight gain without doing anything that gain it back. But isn't that exactly what non sleeved people do as well? Some take action and some don't.

18. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/26/2016
    Surgeon
    Taiwan Kim
    Last Activity
    08-02-2019 07:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 138 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

I agree with Christie, weigh yourself every day, take action if weight goes up even one pound. You will never regain anything you don't want to regain. My sister had this surgery years ago and got way too thin, she deliberately regained 20 pounds, but that is where she stayed and is so happy.

20. Said thanks: